Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ozgur, Quad), 880 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Scientists claim to have broken speed of light #149548
08/21/07 22:07
08/21/07 22:07
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline OP
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Like the title says;
'We have broken speed of light' claim ..

It would definitely lead to some bizarre consequences as mentioned in the article. Arriving somewhere before even leaving got my mind a bit twisted though, but I guess what they mean is that because we need light in order to see things, we would see the thing that moved at it's new location before the light of it's old location is totally exhausted so to speak. Cool stuff, can't wait to hear if it's all true and accurate, it would be big news that's for sure,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149549
08/21/07 22:12
08/21/07 22:12
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I wasn't aware of it, but scientists can reach 4 times the speed of light already for decades:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2796

Last edited by Jostie; 08/21/07 22:28.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Joozey] #149550
08/21/07 22:27
08/21/07 22:27
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline OP
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yes, I wasn't aware of that either, but correct me when I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that they claim to have made light (photons) go faster than the speed of light using 'photon tunneling', hence the 'you (seem to?) appear before you start your travel' consequence. The two german scientists claim to have found (and proven) that there's an error in Einstein's special theory of relativity or at least an exception.

According to this:
While the peak moves faster than light speed, the total energy of the pulse does not. This means Einstein's relativity is preserved, so do not expect super-fast starships or time machines anytime soon.

The 4 times the lightspeed didn't "break" any laws of Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149551
08/21/07 22:36
08/21/07 22:36
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
somehow in my article they didnt violate einsteins rule, and the people in your article did... I dont quite understand it all need to do more research.

At least you can not see yourself appear before you start because the distance the light must travel is too big before reaching you in time before you left. At least I think, that's how I understood time travelling so far...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Joozey] #149552
08/21/07 22:53
08/21/07 22:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline OP
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Same here, same here, I don't quite understand that either, but I guess we'll have to wait for a proper 'confirmation' that these scientists are right.

Quote:

At least you can not see yourself appear before you start because the distance the light must travel is too big before reaching you in time before you left. At least I think, that's how I understood time travelling so far...

True, if you're the one moving at a higher speed than light it doesn't mean your eyes won't react the same to light as normally, hence Einstein's idea of personal time slowing down at extremely high speeds. (If I've understood it correctly that is. Off course, this is all theoretical since our bodies can't possibly handle the extreme g-forces at those speeds I think) The two scientists only send a photon from one prism to another at an apparently higher than light speed speed.

Cheers

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149553
08/22/07 00:06
08/22/07 00:06
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Pretty skimpy article for so much hoopla.
As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"...watch out that you don't blind your grandpa in 1930 or he'll never marry your grandma!!!

However as others have pointed, you can't use any of the knonw FTL to transfer information and thus it is a semantic word game at best with (AFAIK from the aritcle) no practical use whatsoever.

Two other factoids:

1) The speed of light has always been broken in quantum tunneling for that is instantanous. Whether it is truly instantanous or merely too fast to measure I'm not sure but the fact these german cats where working with quantum tunneling leads me to belive they haven't found anything we didn't know.

2) Relativity DOES NOT prevent the speed of light from being broken... only that a massve object cannot be accelerated to the speed of light. In the cracks of that definition, namely that it needs to be massive and accelerated, you could find room for all manner of FTL including massless transportation and non-accelerated motion (as per the Alcuberrie Metric for example)

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149554
08/22/07 00:10
08/22/07 00:10
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"...watch out that you don't blind your grandpa in 1930 or he'll never marry your grandma!!!

That was an ingenious joke! Hahaha

But if you can send things FTL, and really meassure the signal on the other side (else how did you know it was FTL?) then transportation of data is already possible right? you could sent signals on time intervals, and depending on the time it arrived determine what data has been sent...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Joozey] #149555
08/22/07 01:09
08/22/07 01:09
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

That was an ingenious joke! Hahaha

It's not a joke. That's true.

Quote:

But if you can send things FTL, and really meassure the signal on the other side (else how did you know it was FTL?) then transportation of data is already possible right? you could sent signals on time intervals, and depending on the time it arrived determine what data has been sent...

Nope. The fact is that measurement is a form of information hence you can't measure a FTL signal. You know it's there, but you can't touch it in a sense.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149556
08/22/07 03:37
08/22/07 03:37
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

It's not a joke. That's true.

You're not gonna tell me your grandpa never did marry your grandma because you stick your flashlight into the washmachine well I guess that if lightwaves went back in time by spinning a flashlight, the effect would be minimum. Else you would see a flash on the wall before you even rotated the lamp! I swear I never saw that happen. Even if you would spin a flashlight around near the speed of light, I doubt you would see a flash a few seconds before the machine starts spinning.

Quote:

Nope. The fact is that measurement is a form of information hence you can't measure a FTL signal. You know it's there, but you can't touch it in a sense.

Can't they slow it down first by colliding the particle with something materialistic? thats kind of odd then, but a pitty I know too few about this subject to start a discussion about it.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Joozey] #149557
08/22/07 13:52
08/22/07 13:52
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Hahahah... sorry Jostie... I thought you thought the FTL spinning was a joke when that is very real. The grandpa bit, yeah that was a bit of a laugh.

But again, to slow it down or to collide are both forms of interactions (read: measurements). Again, can't be done. There are really a lot of examples of physical phenomena that travel FTL but they all share that same characteristic: they can't be measured or interacted with directly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite