by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther, VoroneTZ), 841 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! #150560
08/27/07 19:06
08/27/07 19:06
Tachys Offline OP
Tachys  Offline OP

The project I have started up was initially a temple-type of level, for my kids to walk through and learn about the virtues as they were originally presented in Ultima IV, but has expanded in potential scope to become a mini-Ultima that takes place after Ultima IX.

The basic overview of the project involves the player, let's call them a new Stranger, coming to the world that the shard of old Britannia merged with (from the original storyline, not the release version), several hundred years after the events of U9. Due to centuries of strife between themselves and the inhabitants of this strange new world, the decendents of Old Britannia have long forgotten the virtues in the face of basic survival. The Stranger must rediscover the virtues, and unite the Britannians with their history and heritage to stave off a threat from an old nemesis once thought to be vanquished.

The basic style is intended to be 3rd person shooter fantasy adventure (think Heretic 2), with mostly puzzle-solving, and maybe some combat and magic... but can be shifted if it fits the story and depending on the capabilities of the team.

I am a beginner at level design, texture creation and scripting, and am only starting to get into modelling and animation, so the help I'll be needing, should any be interested, will be in all areas, but specifically:

-Sound and music production
-Modelling and Animation
-2D artwork, mainly texturing but some concept art as well
-Scripters, working with A6

This is a labor of love, for the most part and the end result is going to be something that (if a green light is given by EA and Mr. Garriott) is distributed for free, so anyone that is interested should understand that any work done is credit only, entirely at their own convenience and will not be reimbursed. Should I fail to get the go ahead to use the basic concepts involved, we would do a rewrite of the game to erase any references to Ultima and see about the possibility of moving forward with it as a commercial project, at which time we can take a look at what method will be used to compensate everyone for their involvement.

The goal is to produce a working, smooth, finished product that everyone would be proud to put their name on, so, if you are interested, please PM me or send an email to tachys1@sbcglobal.net .

Thanks!

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: Tachys] #150561
08/27/07 22:23
08/27/07 22:23
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

if a green light is given by EA and Mr. Garriott

Good luck on that one. At least you are respecting their copyright but you may want to start working on a non-ultima background JUST in case.

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: fastlane69] #150562
08/28/07 00:05
08/28/07 00:05
Tachys Offline OP
Tachys  Offline OP

already there

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: Tachys] #150563
09/05/07 14:12
09/05/07 14:12
Tachys Offline OP
Tachys  Offline OP

Anyone at all?

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: Tachys] #150564
09/06/07 17:33
09/06/07 17:33
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

so anyone that is interested should understand that any work done is credit only, entirely at their own convenience and will not be reimbursed.

Usually these words are team-building killers. Consider that people have a finite amount of time and if interested in game dev, would rather do their own thing than others. Ask yourself how many teams YOU joined for free and then project that onto others.

I've found out that there are two types of teams: co-located group of friends that work for free and remote or co-located teams that work for compensation. I have NEVER seen a remote team brought together out of the blue build a successful project for free on this or any other forum.

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: fastlane69] #150565
09/06/07 18:43
09/06/07 18:43
Tachys Offline OP
Tachys  Offline OP

eh... it's worth a shot. If I don't ask, I will never get any answers, so...

I did join one here a while back, but RL issues put a kabosh on that with regards to the team 'leader', so, I have already done that particular bit of projection ***grins***

I am still in the Navy and still have about 18 months to go before I retire and go to school to get an associates in Game design and Programming, so there is the real limiter as far as bringing together a close knit, local team. These circumstances really only leave a remote team as an option.

As a result of that, there is no real time crunch here, as it is a casual, learn-as-we-go project. I will pop back from time to time and bump this back up to keep the line open, because although we are becoming fewer and further between, I know there are still some Dragons out there that would love to do something like this and might just have the skills needed to help out.

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: fastlane69] #150566
09/06/07 18:45
09/06/07 18:45
USA
Chasarsis Offline
Chasarsis  Offline

USA
Quote:

I've found out that there are two types of teams: co-located group of friends that work for free and remote or co-located teams that work for compensation. I have NEVER seen a remote team brought together out of the blue build a successful project for free on this or any other forum.

That's not totally true. Frequently mod teams do get together without any expectation of direct compensation from a project. The thing that makes them actually successful is a mature leader directing people and talent, but also able to contribute significantly to the creation of his own project.

My Portfolio at Spiralpowered.com
Best way to contact me is @ rfoux@spiralpowered.com
Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: Chasarsis] #150567
09/07/07 02:07
09/07/07 02:07
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

That's not totally true. Frequently mod teams do get together without any expectation of direct compensation from a project. The thing that makes them actually successful is a mature leader directing people and talent, but also able to contribute significantly to the creation of his own project.

True, but there are dozens and dozens of MOD teams that never come further than an initial design doc and perhaps some concept art or a few (often untextured) models. There are so much teams that never complete a MOD, let alone the fact that those who do finish their MOD usually take years and team members tend to change throughout the development,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: PHeMoX] #150568
09/07/07 03:57
09/07/07 03:57
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Mods are radically different than making full games. A few new art assets, tweak the script, and boom you have a mod. It requires maybe a tenth of the effort that goes into making a game. This is coupled by the fact that people making mods play the mod so there is immediate gratification. And as Phemox states, for every 1 mod that gets made, there are maybe 100 that go up in vapor.

I think you would be best served by just making small games yourself. In 18 months you can build a nice portfolio for yourself and this will better equip you for school and eventual game making!

Re: Calling all old-school Ultima Fans! [Re: fastlane69] #150569
09/07/07 18:59
09/07/07 18:59
Tachys Offline OP
Tachys  Offline OP

Oh, don't get me wrong... I have about a dozen different smaller projects on various burners that I work on as time allows. This is just one of the major ones, but due to the scope it has taken on, it has been moved to more of a far-back-burner status since it will take a lot more time to complete, and required expertise in areas I currently don't possess. That's why I'm asking for the help.

This is something that will make it to maturity no matter what... it's the when that is the question

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de