by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Quad, VoroneTZ, 1 invisible), 852 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... #158109
10/01/07 19:22
10/01/07 19:22
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

http://www.inrainbows.com/

The server is getting overloaded, but I finally got my order in for Discbox which is the big set. The digital download is out on October 10th, and Discbox gets shipped on December 3rd. A traditional CD release will be out early next year.

Discbox is a 2CD set along with a 2 12" vinyl version, lyric book, digital photos and art, and all in a big hardcover slip case. It's £40 or $81. The digital download by itself doesn't have a price. You have to enter your own price, so I'm not sure how that works.

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/31462 - there's a lot of links in the article so go to it for those
Quote:

After a false alarm, believed to be a hoax, Radiohead have officially revealed their seventh album is ready, and will be available for download in just ten days' time.

In a shock announcement on their official website today (September 30), a message from guitarist Jonny Greenwood read: "Hello everyone. Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in 10 days; We've called it 'In Rainbows'. Love from us all. Jonny"

As if that news wasn't a big enough bombshell, the band have not set a price for the download version of the album, leaving the 'price' field blank and letting the customer decide how much to pay for the release.

Greenwood's message linked to this site where the album has been made available to pre-order as a download and a discbox. The download version will be available on October 10, while the discbox will be ready to ship on or before December 3.

The discbox, costing £40, contains the new album 'In Rainbows' on CD, and on two 12" heavyweight vinyl records. There is also a second enhanced CD containing more new songs, along with digital photographs and artwork. The set also includes lyric booklets and all are encased in a hardback book and slipcase.

'In Rainbows' track listing is:

'15 Step'
'Bodysnatchers'
'Nude'
'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'
'All I Need'
'Faust Arp'
'Reckoner'
'House Of Cards'
'Jigsaw Falling Into Place'
'Videotape'

Meanwhile, the second CD to be included in the discbox features a further eight new songs. Those are:

'MK 1'
'Down Is The New Up'
'Go Slowly'
'MK 2'
'Last Flowers'
'Up On The Ladder'
'Bangers And Mash'
'4 Minute Warning'

Anyone who buys the boxset will automatically be able to download the album from October 10.

The album, the band's seventh studio effort, will only be available exclusive through Radiohead.com for now, but Radiohead say they are current planning a "traditional CD release" of 'In Rainbows' for early next year.

You can now get a sneak preview of what the new Radiohead album sounds like on the NME Office Blog.

Plus as you can name your own price tell us how much you will play for the new Radiohead album.

Finally find out on NME.COM whether 'In Rainbows' will be chart eligible and what the music industry's reaction is to Radiohead's unique release.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Orange Brat] #158110
10/02/07 15:12
10/02/07 15:12
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

..and the aftermath...

Quote:

October 1st 2007 is the day Radiohead shocked not only their fans, but also the music industry and the press by offering their new album ‘In Rainbows’ as a download, without a label and with a unique pricing method.

TIME magazine writes: Few suspected the band members had the ambition (or the server capacity) to put an album out on their own. The final decision was apparently made just a few weeks ago, and, when informed of the news on Sunday, several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. “This feels like yet another death knell,” emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. “If the best band in the world doesn’t want a part of us, I’m not sure what’s left for this business.”

A producer who works primarily with American rap artists says: “Radiohead is the best band in the world; if you can pay whatever you want for music by the best band in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I’m not sure there’s any going back.”

The Times: “Radiohead have done something remarkably radical. This isn’t the way the music industry – or, indeed, any industry, has ever worked. […] What this move really relies on though, is the notion that between Radiohead and their fans is a collateral of trust and, dare the term be uttered, decency. Whilst that collateral might not be there between, say Sugababes and their fans, it’s the very thing that has propelled Radiohead to this point of unprecedented autonomy. If this experiment works, it will – at the click of a few million mice – make them the most powerful band in Britain.”

Globe And Mail: “Will Radiohead’s experiment lead others to try the “pay what you want” model? That’s difficult to say. As some have pointed out — including Cynthia Brumfield at IPDemocracy — Radiohead has a fan base that is likely willing to pay handsomely for its music, the same way that fans of Pearl Jam are willing to pay extra for high-quality downloads of the band’s music after live shows. Not every group is going to be able to make that work.”

According to Meriel Blackburn, The Official Chart Company’s Head Of Chart Operations, the uniqueness of the album’s availability has put its chart eligibility in doubt. She told NME.COM: “As they are not a chart reporting retailer (any retailer which supplies their sales data to the chart panel), we don’t currently receive sales information from them for inclusion in the charts. On chart eligibility, we have chart rules that products have to meet for us to include their sales in the UK charts. These cover content and packaging, etc. In this case we don’t know enough about the products to be able to say whether they would meet the chart rules and be eligible.” If Radiohead’s last few album releases are anything to go by, it is almost certain the record would top the album charts if it was eligible. A final ruling on whether the record will chart is expected soon.

And some quotes, published in LA Times: “This is all anybody is talking about in the music industry today,” said Bertis Downs, the longtime manager of R.E.M., the veteran alt-rock band that was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. “This is the sort of model that people have been talking about doing, but this is the first time an act of this stature has stepped up and done it. . . . They were a band that could go off the grid, and they did it.”

Another high-profile manager said he was still trying to process the boldness of the Radiohead venture. “My head is spinning, honestly,” said Kelly Curtis, who represents Seattle-based Pearl Jam. “It’s very cool and very inspiring, really.”

“Only a band in Radiohead’s position could pull a trick like this,” is how Pitchforkmedia.com summed it up Monday. That’s because the band became a free agent after its contract with music giant EMI expired with its most recent album, “Hail to the Thief” in 2003. That set the stage for a one-band revolution, even if the five members don’t see it that way themselves.

“It’s more of an experiment. The band is not fighting for the sake of the fight or trying to lead a revolution,” said their spokesman, Steve Martin of New York publicity firm Nasty Little Man. The group declined to comment Monday.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Orange Brat] #158111
10/03/07 02:57
10/03/07 02:57
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

A final ruling on whether the record will chart is expected soon.

That will be interesting hear more about! I thought 'downloadable' albums are already counted different charts-wise?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: PHeMoX] #158112
10/03/07 12:30
10/03/07 12:30
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
love the band for being what they are and doing what they want. but i wouldnt have expected something like this either.

their attitude and their confidence might be as high as their musical standard. something quite refreshing in this days.

good to see that people try to test new things and shake antique systems with new ideas. i am really curious to hear how this will turn out.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Blattsalat] #158113
10/03/07 19:08
10/03/07 19:08
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
You can listen to the entirety of James Blunts new album on his Myspace, so I guess this isn't the first big name artist to try something radical. I just wonder myself what difference it will make, everyone who downloads all their music for free will keep doing so anyways, so what's changing financial wise? The music industry will keep nosediving because of the people who increasingly won't pay for their music. It's kind of ironic, because these same people always say that "I wouldn't have bought it anyway", obviously, that's not the case.

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: William] #158114
10/03/07 19:56
10/03/07 19:56
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

You can listen to the entirety of James Blunts new album on his Myspace, so I guess this isn't the first big name artist to try something radical. I just wonder myself what difference it will make, everyone who downloads all their music for free will keep doing so anyways, so what's changing financial wise? The music industry will keep nosediving because of the people who increasingly won't pay for their music. It's kind of ironic, because these same people always say that "I wouldn't have bought it anyway", obviously, that's not the case.

Bands offering their albums on Myspace has been going on for years; however those are usually poor quality internet versions or bands nowhere near the caliber of Radiohead. James Blunt is not Radiohead. This is their full album, most likely in a high bit MP3 format, and you can pay whatever price you want.

Most of the diehard RH fans (and their are millions of them) will pay for the album when it hits stores next year. It has been reported that the $82 Diskbox set has been more popular than the potentially free download. That's likely because you can only get it via the online site, plus it has that 2nd CD worth of material. That's not included in the download nor has it been confirmed for release with the store CD next year.

The music industry isn't in such dire straights as they let on. They only made 10 billion this year instead of 15 billion (made up numbers but you get the point). I think they will still survive.

Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Orange Brat] #158115
10/03/07 20:59
10/03/07 20:59
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
i dont think is about giving away free stuff but the fact that you can pick your price. This seams like a very interesting idea. First of all, 10bucks are worth a different value depending where you live (state, city, social background aso) and music might be worth as well some different level for different people.
some are willing to pay more, some cant, some wont aso.

i dont know if it works, but as you can see when looking at tools like gamestudio, different people have different needs. and adapting your offer to their needs and possibilities doesnt sound dumb to me.

plus it can lead to more hardcore radiohead fans.
i know that the first title i heared wasnt one i bought but one i stumbled over. having the opportunity to get more legal music might end up in having more sales in the end.

freeware music had that effect for a lot of stars and the internet is an indies dream come true. this might be another logical step.

but basicly i think radiohead has unterstod that a fan base is the key effect for success. not sales, not pr and nothing else. having fans, getting new ones and keeping them satisfied is what makes the difference and works on a long run.
no pr machine or money can compete against that if you look at a range of 10-20 years.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Blattsalat] #158116
10/04/07 21:40
10/04/07 21:40
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
I agree the Internet is very good for helping indie bands get noticed. Although, this pricing model is essentially giving away free high quality music to whomever wants it for free. Unless they make it a dollar minimum or something.

@Orange Brat - The 15 down to 10 billion comparison is probably right. But what if this continues for the next 5 years? How much lower can it become?

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: William] #158117
10/04/07 22:40
10/04/07 22:40
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Only time will tell. Actually, the official number is down 14% from last year. Perhaps, this will be a wake up call for industry and they will lower prices. I know that I rarely ever buy a CD if it is over $9.99. If I go over that, it would have to be one of the bands I follow closely or am a completist with (like Radiohead) or something I've already heard and loved it so much that paying a bit more doesn't concern. Still, there are a ton of great CDs priced $9.99 or lower.

The state of alternative and/or indie music is nowhere near as terrible as a lot of people like to say. If you base your opinion on what is mostly played on the radio then you might be right, but in my experience the stuff that doesn't get played at all is what to look for. I actually heard a DJ on the local alternative rock station state this fact the other day (modern rock is terrible). Well, I have to say he doesn't know what he's talking about, and besides that station plays the same garbage day in and day out (with a few exceptions...they are playing some of the good quality stuff now and again).

Here's the latest update:

Quote:

Radiohead managers Chris Hufford and Bryce Edge were interviewed at BBC Radio 4’s ‘Today‘ this morning, confirming a record deal for Radiohead’s new album ‘In Rainbows‘ will be signed within the next 7 days.

Chris Hufford said that the band are close to signing a record deal: “Ultimately, the band feel that this record, which they are incredibly proud of, deserves to be brought into the mass marketplace. That’s why we need a record company who have that infrastructure to deliver the CD. We’ve got about seven days to get it organised.”

Does this current plan, with consumers setting the price make any financial sense?
Chris Hufford: “It’s just another way of doing things and hopefully it will initiate artists and record labels to think about things a lot more and not just accept the status quo.”

Bryce Edge also said that the band had faith people would not just download the album for free: “We might come out looking very foolish. We’re prepared to take a risk. If your music is great, people will then pay for it. One of the big mistake record companies have made is prosecuting students and kids for doing what we did years ago: taping music. It’s nonsense.” Hufford added: “The wonderful thing is that the consumer can decide how much a download is worth. I’m not sure how much just a digital download is worth. I’m not sure 79p at iTunes is the right price. We cannot control the price when the cd comes out in the shops in January. The market controls the price.”

Regarding the £40 price for the DISCBOX edition of ‘In Rainbows’, Hutton said: “£40 is huge value for money. It costs a lot of money to make. How many drinks do you get for £40. how many football matches can you see for £40.”

Re: Radiohead's In Rainbows is out in 9 days... [Re: Orange Brat] #158118
10/10/07 06:22
10/10/07 06:22
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

It's out as of now. If you're familiar with them, this is the equivalent of OK Computer and that's their best selling album. It sold ~4-5 million in 1997 and I don't know how many in the past 10 years and appears on most best 100 albums of all time music lists. Good stuff and legally free (if you want) for now. I hope the other 8 songs on the 2nd CD in the Diskbox set are as good as this. Their non-album tracks on the singles are almost always good, so even more when those start getting released.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de