by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (PeroPero), 879 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay fixed #168011
11/18/07 08:29
11/18/07 08:29
UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
pararealist Offline OP
pararealist  Offline OP

Hi,
I have been having the texture problem in WED since version 6.4.
Now i have 7.08 and still the same problem.
I habe found some post concerning the matter but no solution.

You create your texture, add it to the wad and apply it to your block. You aligh the texture to look good, then you lock the texture. It is annoying to then run your level the next day and MOST of the texture axis on the block are moved. Frustrating. WHAT causes this? Any answers???????

When you apply textures in WED whether tga, pcx, bmp or jpg if a block is copied and then moved, when you compile the level and run it, the texture moves, even when the textures are locked both per face and per complete block.

In WED 3d view the textures are sometimes shows in the right place on the block, but when running the level they are not anymore.

I have found that the block does not need to be moved or copied, the same thing happens too.

I have found no solution in bugs forum.

This issue needs to be addressed, it is very annoying.

If they are any others having the same problems, please make some noise.

When one runs the level the next day, many textures are moved.
This is annoying.

I wonder if this happens in pro?

A8.3x Commercial, AcknexWrapper and VS 2010 Express
○pararealist now.
Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: pararealist] #168012
11/18/07 08:40
11/18/07 08:40
Hamburg, Ger
Altimeter Offline
Altimeter  Offline

Hamburg, Ger
I never had that problem, neither before 6.4 nor in the 7.0x versions.
May be it has something to do with your hardware/drivers?

Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: Altimeter] #168013
11/18/07 10:11
11/18/07 10:11
pararealist Offline OP
pararealist  Offline OP

it happens on both PCs of mine, with different hardware and drivers.
This does not happen with all blocks, mostly when one moves a block or copies a block even with their textures locked.

It has not bothered me too much as i am not writing a game, but when i am doing some prefabs it is abboying to see you beautifully aligned textures moved the next time you compile and run.

○pararealist now.
Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: pararealist] #168014
11/18/07 16:37
11/18/07 16:37
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

This is kind of a crazy question, but you are Saving your level before you build and run it, right? From my understanding, just building it doesn't save anything...(haven't played with WED in a long time).

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #168015
11/20/07 16:43
11/20/07 16:43
pararealist Offline OP
pararealist  Offline OP

Yes, i make sure of that, is a habit to save often.

It is one of those things that is frustrating. will watch closer when i'm building in WED next time to see if any more light can be shed on the problem.

○pararealist now.
Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: pararealist] #168016
11/25/07 14:04
11/25/07 14:04
K
KTiger Offline
KTiger  Offline
K

I found the solution to the problem in an older post.
When adjusting the texture remember to turn on the texture lock then off, and remember to have turned off all texture locks before saving and then build it.
Reference

Hope this helps!

Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: KTiger] #168017
11/30/07 21:30
11/30/07 21:30
Connecticut
Galen Offline
Galen  Offline

Connecticut
I'm going to try this today or tomorrow, and hopefully it will work for me because I've noticed this exact same problem since installing the latest release and it's been driving me nuts too. I'll report back either way...

Re: Texture madness in WED - Textures don't stay f [Re: Galen] #168018
12/01/07 17:03
12/01/07 17:03
Connecticut
Galen Offline
Galen  Offline

Connecticut
FYI, texture scaling and offset adjustment from within the block surface properties menu appears to be severely screwed. I have a 128 x 128 ceiling texture, and adjusting offsets while it is at 1.0 scale is fine, but if I set it at, say, 0.75, and then adjust offset, THE OFFSET BUTTONS BEHAVE LIKE SCALING BUTTONS, though they scale down proportionately for both x and y (if I just hit the y offset, the scale goes down for both x and y). Yes, you read that preceding paragraph right--at less than 1.0 scaling in the block surface properties box, OFFSET actually scales the texture down instead of offsetting it. (all textures are set to "locked", by the way")

However, if I make the changes in the Texture settings box (right-click on texture in texture window, then "settings"), make adjustments there, click "OK", and then re-apply he texture to the active block surface by double-clicking the texture, then it appears to apply normally, but this makes it very tedious to align textures since I have to estimate the numbers, apply, then adjust/estimate again until textures line up the way I want.

Could someone else confirm this? This is a major bug for me since I am at a point in my project where I absolutely need to apply textures to all my level blocks now in preparation for exporting out of WED so I can convert it into a model (in Blender) for further editing purposes. This is going to take me much longer if I can't align/adjust textures on-the-fly in the block surface properties...

UPDATE: It appears to be that this bug/screwiness only occurs when texture lock is turned on for the block(s) in question. When I turned texture lock off, I was able to adjust scaling and offset normally and on-the-fly from the block surface properties. However, I don't know if the changes I make are going to "stick" or not, as per the original problem posted about here. I'll try making my adjustments this way, then selecting all and hitting texture lock to turn it on (since I know it will screw up even if I don't do this) to see if there's a difference, then I'll turn it off again to see if that messes anything up then also, then I'll save, build level, and save again, then close the level and open it again to see if the changes stick or not.

UPDATE 2: Okay, the above seemed to work. It takes that much longer because my level has over 1900 blocks and marking them all as "texture locked" or not takes some time... But to recap how I got this to work: 1. make sure all blocks are NOT texture locked; 2. adjust/align textures as desired; 3. select all (relevant) blocks and texture lock them (note: this step *may* be unnecessary--hopefully someone else can test this and confirm, though at the moment I'm too chickensh*t in regards to screwing up my own level textures to try without doing this first); 4. not select all blocks again and TURN OFF texture lock; 5. save level; 6. build level; 7. save again; 8. run level to check textures (should be fine). The key seems to be that all relevant blocks are NOT texture locked when you align/adjust their textures, or when you build and save the level. Texture lock just seems to screw everything up when its used to align/adjust textures, or when building/saving. My own advice for myself for now will be to avoid using texture lock like the plague, except in the step above which may or may not be "setting" the textures in WED (could be in my imagination only and completely unnecessary though).

UPDATE 3

Okay, I've confirmed for myself that simply turning Texture Lock OFF for all blocks where you need textures aligned/adjusted is enough. Turn it off before you start aligning/adjusting textures on those blocks, and LEAVE it off. Save. Build. Save. Run (and check). So just avoid using Texture Lock altogether if you want to avoid having your block textures become misaligned even after repeated re-adjustments.

Last edited by Galen; 12/01/07 18:57.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de