Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 01:28
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (kzhao, AndrewAMD, bigsmack), 824 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Concave restriction #169842
11/27/07 23:53
11/27/07 23:53
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany
Hi all,

a long time has passed since I wrote again in here How is everybody?

All right, I have a question which is vital in using GS for the little experiment I am intending to do. I was playing around with some low polys I had constructed with 3ds max; textured them; normal mapped them; specular map added too and all that stuff...

Some objects:

(Everything is low Poly and the Room itself has about 1300 Tris)

(A Book - the Pages would be "concave" I pressume)

... then I have created an indoor scene ("The Inn") as just one level. My intention is to produce just one but very complex level - I don't fear low FPS as long it's playable a bit. Just want to push the graphical possibilities into the sky.

All right, I startet putting one Object into a standard level scene in WED (a hollowed block with one light). It was this Object:

(This is the most complex model in the scene - it is a mid poly Model with about 1000 Tris. I consider Models above 1k Tris as "mid Poly" - this consideration may vary from artist to artist)

As I tried to preview the level I got the message it would be a concave object and cannot be implemented within the level (and it was'nt there as expectet). I am not sure if I understood the concave issue correctly, but as the manual and the corresponging First Game Tutorial states: Concave objects are assumed to be indentations into an object - no matter if it's just a slight lay in into a box or more complex indentations like in this chair shown above.

Or in other words: More complex objects which are not constructed out of almost perfectly allined boxes are impossible to render with the GS Engine. Is that true? If so... how do I make this Chair being rendered within the GS Engine? Well, yeah - I know - it's not possible to render concaves, but is there a workaround. If not: Everything is lost and I unfortunately have to give up the experiment with GS.

To explain it: I do not want to rip off this pretty simple model to getting somehow the structure which would be rendered in GS in any way, because modeling this Object is the standard way to do low Poly Art for games. Well... that's not really the reason, it's more like: One Object - one UV-Unwraped Texture... it's the common and simple workflow anyone layout their Game models. Restricted to plain Boxmodels would just push up the complexity of modelling Objects for GS and would have an enormous negative impact into the common low P Workflow I followed for many years too (and would decrease the otherwise possible complexity of any thinkable model I have in mind and constructed for other engines).

I can't believe that... I have to miss something; I have to misunderstood something about those model construction...

... please tell me if I am wrong about all that ('cause I am new to GS and can't tell if I have missed something).

Thanks in advanced

Tristan

Last edited by Tristan3D; 11/27/07 23:56.
Re: The Concave restriction [Re: Tristan3D] #169843
11/28/07 00:56
11/28/07 00:56
mk_1 Offline

Expert
mk_1  Offline

Expert

Actually you can render anything you like. Only the BSP part of your level has the concave restriction but I don't think you use BSP.
The problem should be something else.

Follow me on twitter
Re: The Concave restriction [Re: mk_1] #169844
11/28/07 01:03
11/28/07 01:03
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany

Du bist aus Deutschland? Gut, so fällt mir das leichter

Danke für die schnelle Antwort
aber das Model ist sauber - alle Vertices sind symetrisch; keine doppelten Faces; keine Überlappungen (das mußte ich ja im UV Unwrap schon ausschließen) - Die Vertex-Genauigkeit liegt bei 10 Digits (was für OBJ eher wichtig ist; habs als FBX reingeholt - ob es daran liegt?) und ich habs mit Oblivion getestet... läuft sauber; alle Smoothing Groups sind korrekt; die Textur wird ordentlich gemipped eigentlich sehe ich im Model nichts, was einen solchen Fehler verursachen könnte.

Ich habe auf die einfache Methode umgestellt (das ist die Methode ohne BSP nehme ich an) und kriege immer noch einen kritischen Fehler (E701) - was immer das heißen mag (ich könnte ja auf den Fehler reagieren, wenn ich wüßte was die Ursache dafür ist).

Importiert habe ich das Model über die import Funktion im Datei Menü

Sollte ich den Umweg über Med gehen?

Re: The Concave restriction [Re: Tristan3D] #169845
11/28/07 01:41
11/28/07 01:41
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany
All right, I think I got it.

Solution: Have to implement it as entity and everything will be finde. No active shadows, but hey... at least its in the level

pheew

Last edited by Tristan3D; 11/28/07 12:56.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de