by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11513
01/13/03 09:52
01/13/03 09:52

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Sorry about bad english...

There is a Mp3 plugin in the download area in this site. The plugin suports 3D sound, like the original player in gamestudio? Can i assign a entity to play mp3s like i can make with waves, enabling all features of 3D sound, like 3d positioning, distance....

Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11514
01/13/03 11:14
01/13/03 11:14
Alabama
Cameron_Aycock Offline
Developer
Cameron_Aycock  Offline
Developer

Alabama
It does not support positioning. The mp3 plugin is actually obsolete now anyway, as 3dgs now supports of playing those files by itself.

Popular media is the opiate of the masses. Think for yourself.
Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11515
01/13/03 13:27
01/13/03 13:27
California, USA
J
jaknine Offline
jaknine  Offline
J

California, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the internal A5 support for mp3s rely on it's own decoding scheme? Cameron's dll calls on Windows built in decoder.

What that means is that using Cameron's dll, you wouldn't have to pay mp3 licensing fees, as the fee has already been paid by Microsoft. In other words, you're just calling on a function that's built in to Windows.

Conversely (assuming the A5 decoding calls on its own functions), a fee would have to be paid for licensing mp3 usage when using the built in A5 decoding ability without Cameron's dll.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong about how A5 supports mp3s.

Jak

Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11516
01/13/03 14:10
01/13/03 14:10
Alabama
Cameron_Aycock Offline
Developer
Cameron_Aycock  Offline
Developer

Alabama
jaknine,
I do think that the new DirectX player in A5 is basically an interface to the windows media player as well. I may be wrong, as I didn't write the engine, but I think I read that it should support any windows media format, as mine does.

Popular media is the opiate of the masses. Think for yourself.
Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11517
01/13/03 18:55
01/13/03 18:55

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

You can use the ogg files, that are very similar to mp3 and don't have any licensing issues ( they are free) and since the 5.5 are suported like sounds in the engine.

Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11518
01/14/03 04:11
01/14/03 04:11
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
quote:
Originally posted by jaknine:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the internal A5 support for mp3s rely on it's own decoding scheme? Cameron's dll calls on Windows built in decoder.

What that means is that using Cameron's dll, you wouldn't have to pay mp3 licensing fees, as the fee has already been paid by Microsoft. In other words, you're just calling on a function that's built in to Windows.

Conversely (assuming the A5 decoding calls on its own functions), a fee would have to be paid for licensing mp3 usage when using the built in A5 decoding ability without Cameron's dll.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong about how A5 supports mp3s.

Jak

When in doubt, go to the source: http://www.mp3licensing.com/

http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/developer.html

I'm no lawyer, but I read it as Thomson claims to own the patent on key parts of any content encoded with mp3 technology (i.e. the sound file itself). This is really hard to explain in words, just because you encode something in mp3 (or one of the many other formats that Thomson claims to own) doesn't mean that they own the original sound but they do own the encoded content.

The bottom line is, if you distribute mp3 files (by themselves or with a product) and make money off of it, Thomson wants their due. And it doesn't matter if you use a licensed decoder or not.

BTW: Internal A5 support of mp3's uses Windows Media Player's decoder. But you still have to pay for your mp3s.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11519
01/14/03 05:01
01/14/03 05:01
California, USA
J
jaknine Offline
jaknine  Offline
J

California, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
[QUOTE]The bottom line is, if you distribute mp3 files (by themselves or with a product) and make money off of it, Thomson wants their due. And it doesn't matter if you use a licensed decoder or not.

Doug,

Maybe that's where a confusion lies then. Our Strip Kittens software doesn't include any mp3s, but rather just the ability to play them (via Cameron's dll). Yes, if we were to include mp3s with the download we would have to pay licensing fees, regardless of what method of decoding is being used. Since our software functions as a player and uses Windows built-in decoding scheme, we were able to avoid paying the licensing fees.

Jak

Re: Mp3 plugin for Gamestudio #11520
01/14/03 09:02
01/14/03 09:02
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
quote:
Originally posted by jaknine:
Maybe that's where a confusion lies then. Our Strip Kittens software doesn't include any mp3s, but rather just the ability to play them (via Cameron's dll). Yes, if we were to include mp3s with the download we would have to pay licensing fees, regardless of what method of decoding is being used. Since our software functions as a player and uses Windows built-in decoding scheme, we were able to avoid paying the licensing fees.

Again I'm no lawyer but I think you are right. I'm not familiar with Cameron's DLL but A5 uses Windows Media Player so “technically” we are not distributing an mp3 decoder with our product (just given users access to a decoder already available on their computer).

Just to be clear. You can use the built in decoder with A5 without paying a license but if you include any mp3 encoded sound files with your project you have to pay a licensing fee.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de