by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: Joozey] #173415
12/18/07 08:31
12/18/07 08:31
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
That cable would probably do the trick. But you would have to go from there, and I don't know a ton of programming outside of 3dgs as what to do with the USB. Maybe one day, with more time, can learn.

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: William] #173416
12/18/07 19:03
12/18/07 19:03
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Well both the cable and GuitarPort seem to just be ADCs with a USB interface at the end- you might as well use the Mic/LineIn on your soundcard (at reduced quality depending on what sound card you have).

Writing software that detects a single string vibrating is doable- it's what any digital tuning device does.

Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: William] #173417
12/18/07 19:16
12/18/07 19:16
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Error014: You are not alone.

As far as getting a real guitar to work with Guitar Hero, I would probably use one of these and have the player try to match the pitch and length of the notes. Not perfect, but its similar to what they use for those singing games.

Or you can just go the other way, turn your Guitar Hero controller into a real instrument.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: Doug] #173418
12/18/07 19:56
12/18/07 19:56
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
While we`re on the subject of music games, one of those days - sadly a day far, far in the future given the impossible technical barriers - I'd need to create a musical game. Oh man, its so sad, I know perfectly well that its technically incredible difficult if not impossible to make, but I still get thousands of ideas for it.
I'm probably going to try it anyway soon, only to fail. Meh.

Your "real"-guitar-hero-concept sounds intriguing and I'd definately want to try it. Thats the perfect way for me to learn guitar... again (because, yes, I did have lessons back in the day)... using a gameinterface and all that, it may proove much more motivating. You'd start with maybe simply playing certain accords or segments in a song, and then add more and more until you play the complete song.

@Doug: You have the game and share that love/hate-relationship? Or do you just know people and secretly laugh at them and their masochistic tendencies (because, lets face it, isnt that what music games are all about?)? If you have the game, I'd love to try a co-op-song
... Is it actually possible to play with the Wii-version against (or with) someone with a different version? Otherwise, I suppose one could only compare scores :|

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: Error014] #173419
12/20/07 00:52
12/20/07 00:52
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Error014: I have the game. I love it but..honestly..I suck at it.

I own the XBox360 version of GH-2, and I hoping to buy RockBand after XMas (again, for the XBox360).

Just in case anybody is interested (I don't play as much as I would like).

Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: Doug] #173420
12/20/07 06:31
12/20/07 06:31
New England
D
DeKO_Mania Offline
DeKO_Mania  Offline
D

New England
Rather than using a "real" guitar to play a game, I feel like they should just work more on making the Guitar Hero expierence more realistic. Perhaps, by adding more buttons, or adding more than one button per frett, so as to allow for more complex controlls.

I am personally not a huge guitar player. I own one, took a quarterlong class, but dont consider myself any good at it. However, I was able to graduate to extream mode on GH3 after only a few hours... Not trying to brag, but I think the game would benefit from a more challenging take on the same gameplay. GH is more about memorizing rhythms than it is playing guitar, which is fine for what it is (I love the game, and as said before, owning a Wii excludes me from the Rockband-wagon). However, think of the possibilities if they were to place 2 buttons per frett... the combinations are endless.

Also, I wonder if I am the only person on the planet who thinks they should add a freeplay mode on Guitar Hero. I understand the limitations of such a mode with the current guitar controllers, but if they were to create a more complex take on todays gameplay, imagine writing, playing, recording, and sharing your Guitar Hero songs online with anyone who wants to download it. Seems like it would be an easy enough feat to pull off (guitar hero is online anyways). Creating the "map", or whatever you want to call it that is used to display the notes to hit would be as easy as playing while the game runs at a certian tempo. Also, it seems that it would be easy enough to implement both beginner and advanced modes of this idea. Beginner uses set tempos, and has a smaller available note list, while advanced has full control of tempo, has full access to all the notes, and can go back and tweak the placement of notes. All the while, you can have guitar hero play it back to you (kinda like guitar pro, for those who have used it) to see how it sounds on playback. Seems like a small army would find a home in creating their own music on the game and then posting it up for everyone to see.

Anyways, just some of my thoughs.

Last edited by DeKO_Mania; 12/20/07 06:36.
Re: Guitar Hero 3 [Re: DeKO_Mania] #173421
12/20/07 20:44
12/20/07 20:44
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
I'm no expert guitar player, but I've played guitar. The Guitar Hero controller is slightly better than "air-guitar" at simulating the real thing but almost nothing like a real one.

Guitars (even electric ones) are not digital. Using strings to create music is very different then hitting the right button. By adding more buttons to the controller, you would be recreating the Keytar (yes, I'm a child of the 80's, I know the word Keytar ).

Quote:

Also, I wonder if I am the only person on the planet who thinks they should add a freeplay mode on Guitar Hero.

No, the original developers (Harmonix) wanted to add a freeplay mode. They just couldn't find any results they were 100% happy with.

As far as creating your own songs, check out "Frets on Fire".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de