by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ayumi), 662 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Everything is going borring!! #177217
01/09/08 20:49
01/09/08 20:49
Mare Offline OP
Mare  Offline OP

HI guys!

I was reading that "Where's the adventure" post and it made me think.
I remembered for a second those old game developing days when we were using A4 or A5. That was realy fun. Back then because we couldn't make very good graphics we were more concentrating on the gameplay, on the story, on little details, then the key questins everyone used to ask about were like:
"Is my actor moving right?", or "What is better : palms or just simple trees".... You know those simple questtions.... For instance when I was learning to create games with gamestdio I was asking questions like "How to put my own models in the game?"..... And beside the models my games were good because I didnt realy bother myself with the graphics . And now its a totaly different story, we keep asking stupid questions like : "Why my shader cant support more than 6 dynamic lights.... Oh my God!!" or "Why cant we make soft shadows those ugly unshadowed objects are gonna spoil my game!!". ( Im not saying anythig bad about those who asked similar questions )And one day a tought came across my mind : "WHAT IF WE ALL THE SUDDEN GET ALL THE FANCY STUFF THAT WE WERE ASKING FOR??!! Would we have that great story, those great textures and artwork that great gameplay which would support that graphics and make a great game with it?" I think we wont have that all in our heads and I eaven think we couldnt think of a good story for our next game in the next 20 minutes when we get that that graphics wonders!!!! If you think differently, please write your reasons and statements

Thnak you all guys and please dont mind for my bad english

Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: Mare] #177218
01/09/08 21:56
01/09/08 21:56
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Middleware opened a can of worms or Pandoras box in my view.
Suddenly people like myself who did not have the interest factor to go the hard route, learn programming, had access to the high and lofty realms of crafting games.
Very few of us had computer based training up to the point where we could instinctively operate a machine and know what we were doing.

For me, that changed when I took up computer grahpics as a career change, suddenly I was in amongst these guru's learning things like 'The Help File' and the 'Menu' system on applications and man. I was off...

Bought GameStudio after checking out a warezed version in 2002 I think it was and promptly set about accusing Conetic of holding me up with features that were not available but I wanted then and there, harrassing experienced users for not sharing or using suspect teaching methods to get me to learn scripting and then buying Torque 'cause it seemed more onto it than GStudio...BUT...I had to relearn a scripting style or programming AGAIN! and so on....

So now, I've read a few posts, met a few industry people, learnt a whole heap more and now - Wheres Tusk I wonder, I really need it right now

Any way, I soon learnt that Game Dev was actually Interactive story telling or movies and thats ok with me ;cause I know how to write stories, I know how to set stages up for theater performances and change sets as need be...in short, I do have all the skills needed to use middleware apps now but they are still toooooo far behind what I want to do! STILL!

Wheres the adventure....its in actually publishing titles and chasing up on leads and getting your business acuemen up etc...Its all there man
Its actually on publishing demos and scenarios and seeing how the comments go, what they are focussed on and how pertinent they are to the release
Its actually in Showcasing!

Graphics is critical and always has been, hence the resulting shaders, texture management and script management we have access to now,
Gameplay is critical,
Programming is a MUST!

We are now in need of Super Computers to handle all we have now so wheres the adventure...wait for the tech people to get over the marketing tricks before their gems can hit the markets cause thats all thats holding everybody up, the new computers not available yet for public consumption.

So get out there and actually publish, thats all you need to do to get the excitement back, publish

Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: Nems] #177219
01/10/08 03:05
01/10/08 03:05
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
It's a CONSPIRACY!

The tech people probably don't WANT us to make games!

They obviously should do their research for free and make some haste, I've been waiting on my personal VR über-machine for ages now.

(//sarcasm, okey I'll be serious from now on )

Quote:

So get out there and actually publish, thats all you need to do to get the excitement back, publish

I agree, although quite some people can't stand honest reviews, not to mention dishonest reviews,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: Mare] #177220
01/10/08 09:37
01/10/08 09:37
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I agree with you. If we suddenly have those fancy possibilities then we still need lots of work (even more work than before) to create decent games.

Quote:

Back then because we couldn't make very good graphics we were more concentrating on the gameplay, on the story...

This is a statement I read very often here and in other game programming forums. I am sure many users betray themselves with such statements.

But if we ask ourselves very honestly then most of us have bought and will buy only games that are superb in all: story, gameplay and graphics.
If we cannot achieve that ourselves then we have to build a team or just create little casual games with place holder graphics.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: PHeMoX] #177221
01/10/08 10:49
01/10/08 10:49
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Quote:

It's a CONSPIRACY!

No, its a marketing ploy, use up whats in the warehouses first before dropping prices for 'Uber Machines' (insert latest specs here )

One thats always been the hold up for many ventures I have found.

Another is the mark-up price, often a K% before dropping as sales dissapear for a K% but are still there for 800% etc.

This is also evident in the lack of sales for Games which require ubber specs to run like shader versions, Processors, MB's etc.

As soon as those get within reach of Joe Blogs developer and player then hey presto, adventure and excitement are back.

That was the point I was seeking to make with that derivative you refered to

Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: Nems] #177222
01/10/08 15:49
01/10/08 15:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yup, you are 100% right about that. It's a shame though, on one hand progress can't go fast enough in my opinion, on the other hand it's already hard to keep up. I guess that's the irony of progress.

Frank is right about the graphics aspect too, there aren't many games I have bought that did not have reasonably okey graphics or at least looked polished and finished. It doesn't always have to be next-gen (awful buzzword ) for me to enjoy a game, but more often than not great games also have decent graphics, I have to add though that there are still a lot of games that are good despite having mediocre graphics. Unfortunately for most games it's graphics first, then gameplay and that will often result in broken games with fancy graphics because they ran out of budget..

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Everything is going borring!! [Re: Mare] #177223
01/10/08 18:36
01/10/08 18:36
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
Quote:

I eaven think we couldnt think of a good story for our next game in the next 20 minutes when we get that that graphics wonders!!!!

i could. i dont know why, but i can pull any story out of my head anytime i want. sure, it takes time to finalize and perfectionize it, but its allways a great start...

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de