Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Life is a game... or is it? #179672
01/24/08 11:25
01/24/08 11:25
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
At least there are some quite convincing arguments that we all are entities in a computer game:

http://www.simulation-argument.com

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0801/0801.0337.pdf

(Don't try this at home. Your 3D card might not be yet up to this task.)

Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: jcl] #179673
01/24/08 12:37
01/24/08 12:37
Germany
Lukas Offline

Programmer
Lukas  Offline

Programmer

Germany
If that is true, our live won't change, will it? So I think we'll never find out wether our world is real or virtual. And I think it really doesn't matter wether our world is real or virtual

Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: Lukas] #179674
01/24/08 15:38
01/24/08 15:38
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

If that is true, our live won't change, will it? So I think we'll never find out wether our world is real or virtual. And I think it really doesn't matter wether our world is real or virtual

If we would really live in his computer game, I think alot of people would turn crazy, thinking they can get out by winning the game. But how to win? Well maybe you get exp. when killing other people! Last man standing! King of the Hill!.

If god came to earth telling us we all live in a video game, prepare yourself for a massive killing spree.

Anyone knows the movie "eXistenZ"?
It's a fairly old and quite odd movie, but if you like this philosophy, you should watch it . It's a bit different than ment here but still a good mindtwister.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: Joozey] #179675
01/24/08 18:15
01/24/08 18:15
Osnabrück, Germany
Ready Offline
Ready  Offline

Osnabrück, Germany
heh, if life is a game, I want console access and some cheatcodes

Do not underestimate people because they have a low post count... :0
Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: Ready] #179676
01/24/08 19:30
01/24/08 19:30
I
ISG Offline

Expert
ISG  Offline

Expert
I

Whoever programmed this video game did excellence on programming the AI. Congratulations! lol.

Kidding of course, they could have made 3DGS the best AAA Engine. jk

Ground Tactics - Coming Soon
Ground Tactics OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: ISG] #179677
01/24/08 23:49
01/24/08 23:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
After clicking some links I've stumble upon this:

Quote:

Now we get to the core of the simulation argument. This does not purport to demonstrate that you are in a simulation. Instead, it shows that we should accept as true at least one of the following three propositions:

(1) The chances that a species at our current level of development can avoid going extinct before becoming technologically mature is negligibly small

(2) Almost no technologically mature civilisations are interested in running computer simulations of minds like ours

(3) You are almost certainly in a simulation.

Each of these three propositions may be prima facie implausible; yet, if the simulation argument is correct, at least one is true (it does not tell us which).

While the full simulation argument employs some probability theory and formalism, the gist of it can be understood in intuitive terms. Suppose that proposition (1) is false. Then a significant fraction of all species at our level of development eventually becomes technologically mature. Suppose, further, that (2) is false, too. Then some significant fraction of these species that have become technologically mature will use some portion of their computational resources to run computer simulations of minds like ours. But, as we saw earlier, the number of simulated minds that any such technologically mature civilisation could run is astronomically huge.

Therefore, if both (1) and (2) are false, there will be an astronomically huge number of simulated minds like ours.

That very last sentence doesn't mean OUR minds would possible be simulated, it only means that theoretically there could be a species running simulations of minds LIKE ours. Therefore eventhough it may not be a weird idea that future species might run simulations at all, it ís weird to suggest that thus wé might in fact be people whose minds are being simulated.

Somehow I'm not quite following the logic. I don't get the jump from species in the future back to 'us' in terms of being simulated versions of the "us" in the distant past, but actually being simulated in the future.

Another question that instantly pops up would be "Regardless of the possibility of a future species being able to do so, why would anyone even want to simulate being us or beings like us?"

Anyways, in my opinion it sounds like saying humans were created, somehow our current knowledge of the world and such theories don't add up. At least when you look at the world from our perspective and knowledge.

There's another problem with the 'simulation for study' theory. It's called time. Yes it's possible to simply let the simulation run at a higher speed time-wise (would cost even more processing power), but for researchers to actually do research wouldn't it still require them to dive into our 'mind-worlds' to check out the 'data' they are receiving/simulating?

I don't quite believe this would be feasible to do, unless they are somehow able to automate the process of data collections ánd observation/research.

From our current perspective, but even from a future one, the latter sounds quite unlikely to me actually. Would we some day invent computers to do our research for us? If we'd be that advanced by then, why would there be a need for simulations like that?

I also think we might underestimate the computing power that would be required for such a simulation. There's a near infinite chain-reaction of things that will change every split-second in our current world. Simulating that for each individual in this world or even for just one person would be a hell of a technological task in my opinion.

So, in my opinion if we are part of a simulation that has as purpose to actually study us, then those computers simulating our whole world and such must be really extremely extremely powerful. Otherwise it will take forever to both get data and do research on it. Or... this could mean that a lot of simulated people are actually not real people's minds that are 'connected' to the simulation, but simply artificial all together. I doubt we ourselves could be such a 'artificial mind' though, I somehow think that's impossible. Perhaps everybody around me is artificial, but I don't believe I am artificial myself,

By the way, for clarification, with "post-human" do they mean scenarios such as machines taking over the world and taking the place of humans, stuff like that? That's a scenario that seems unlikely to me to happen and then it would be even more strange to assume that those machines would want to research us in my opinion.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: Ready] #179678
01/25/08 14:39
01/25/08 14:39
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
Quote:

heh, if life is a game, I want console access and some cheatcodes

You're just a bot, you don't have a keyboard...

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: jcl] #179679
01/25/08 16:31
01/25/08 16:31
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
In some ways it's hard to distinguish reality from a computing environment, because you could argue that the laws of nature and cellular automata that make up our reality are a complex computing system in their own right.

I think it was Konrad Zuse in his pioneering book, Rechenden Raum ("Calculating Space" e.g. space that computes) who made a good point about it. I like this idea, because it doesnt dumb this idea down to suggest that reality is running on a supercomputer in an office somewhere.. but an abstracted and intelligent computing space based on cellular automata comprising our reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Space

In a lot of ways this is very intuitive to me.

At any rate, I'd like to sit down and give a stern scolding to the cosmic game designer about the design decision behind things like the Department of Motor Vehicles, George Bush or reality television.

Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: JetpackMonkey] #179680
01/25/08 18:34
01/25/08 18:34
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

One of the argument against the hyphotesis that our world is a computer simulation is the following :

Suppose that the planets , are just textured meshes
an super civilization made a program (using 3dgs, of course) running on a super computer
The planets are orbiting about the sun in compliance with Newtonian laws
Sooner or later the Newtonian gravitational constant should be adjusted to compensate the errors of the programm due to the fact that a computer, even a super computer, does not use real numbers

This is valid of course for any constants of physiscs
The point is that no modification of the natural constants has never been observed till now

Re: Life is a game... or is it? [Re: AlbertoT] #179681
01/25/08 20:53
01/25/08 20:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yes, but perhaps this merely proves the theory that we are in a simulation, because of that. Perhaps laws aren't as strict as we think they are, if they are artificial laws they cán change... but don't really have to. I agree that it's unlikely that a simulation would be endlessly flawless in terms of not making errors or adjustments along the way, so yes that does make the theory more unlikely.

Still, perhaps we, being in a simulation as we might be, would not notice such changes anyways?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite