by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ), 1,258 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The forgotten audience #180042
01/26/08 18:48
01/26/08 18:48
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline OP
ghostryder  Offline OP
G

Everett, Washington
Interesting news as of late. Computer and video game software sales reached $9.5 billion in 2007, 28% over the previous year, and set a new record according to final data compiled by the NPD Group and announced today by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). To put this in perspective the industry’s economic impact is illustrated further through data showing that Halo 3®, the best-selling title of 2007, took in more revenue in its first day of sales than the biggest opening weekend ever for a movie (Spider-Man 3) and the final Harry Potter book’s first day sales.

More interestingly NPD's consumer demographic data verifies that two non-traditional consumer groups grew over-proportionately to the whole: females and individuals over the ages of 35. Yet only 15.5% of games sold last year were rated "Mature (M). This is mostly because unlike the movie industry which enjoys an "R' rating catagory there is no such beast in the ESRP rating system which goes from "M" 16 year olds and up and "AO" or 18 years old and up. Or in other words mirrors an "X" rating for a movie. Retailers will not sell "AO" rated titles. Even ones that would fit into an "R" rating if there was such a beast. Yet the data clearly shows the average gamer is 26 years old or older and the age group is growing at twice the rate as those under the age of 26.

This market that is avoided in the retail chains is left to the independant small developers that sell thier games online. NPD doesn't include these sales in it's reports but companies that have traditionally sold games more aimed at the mature gamer like Matrix and Sharpnal report sales growth of over 300 percent. However both these companies sell complex wargames rather than adult nature "R" themed storyline based adventures. This market is solely supplied by European companies not hamstrung from the narrow ESRP rating system of the U.S.

As an example the polish company CDprojeck has garnered the best selling RPG title of the year with "The Witcher" with imported orders from U.S. fans which shy away from the cencored "M" rated version that Atari distributes in U.S. retail stores.

There's an intire entertainment industry here that far outsells and overshadows Hollywood now and few are currently even trying to tape into the largest segment of that audience. The Mature gamer.

There's no laws that say you must sell your title in retail box stores that refuse to carry AO rated titles. In fact there's no laws that say you must use the ESRP rating system at all. With high speed internet direct computer sales online not only is viable but has been for some time. Companies like DirecttoDrive and Steam have sales going through the roof and direct downloads make up the bulk of sales for companies like Matrix.

The independant developer is today the pioneer of entertainment for that adult audience. Why those with creative ambitions continue to not only to ignore but even mock the gaming industry when it is actually those people who are shooting themselves in the foot is mind boggling.

We are pioneers. We can shape the mold that will become the entertainment medium of tommorrow much like those early pioneers of silent film. That canvas is empty and wide open and the only thing limiting it is our imagination and the only thing slowing a lot of us down is our current funds and available time. It's an excellent place to be. Why aren't more here too?

I think an excellent approach for those of us that want to break into this industry through the independant area should focus on this left out demographic rather than trying to compete against the corporate giants churning out the high dollar First person shooters.

Adult aimed adventures and RPGs are poised to be in huge demand and the big boys shy away. It seems foolish to ignore this.

Here's a gendor that doesn't even exist. The Romance adventure. Seems those adult female gamers would give it a try. Where's the digital gaming versions of "The last tango in Paris" or "9 1/2 weeks" or for that matter "Love Story" or "You've Got Mail".

This is why the "The SimsII" enjoys shelf life more than anything else. Why aren't we focusing on this in "Templates" instead of "Racing" or "FPS" templates. At least get those RPG and adventure templates released or let's continue to hound Aris for that release of Intensense A.I so we can get busy.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by ghostryder; 01/26/08 19:03.
Re: The forgotten audience [Re: ghostryder] #180043
01/26/08 23:38
01/26/08 23:38
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
these age-group statistics are the kind of thing i sent in to australia's "office of film and literature classification" or whatever it's called, asking why there is no 'R' rating in australia (regardless of what retailers sell, there's nothing higher than 'MA15+' allowed here anyway).

i got a letter that ignored my concerns that 'R' and 'X' rated film material can just as easily fall into the hands of youngens as high-rated games, and voiced concerns that parent-locks aren't good enough yet to protect the kids.

most of the kids age 9-13 that i know don't know a good game from a bad game, and just play whatever there mum's saw in the shop that "looks fun."

and by censoring out officially rated adult games in retail, surely that encourages makers of such games (myself not included as of yet, but i would like to experiment in extreme game violence in the future) to distribute their products primarily online where kids can't be protected from them?

sorry, this might not seem 100% related. when i saw the age-group statistics i went off on a rant.

it is awesome to see the games industry growing so much, especially groups that few developers apart from indies and nintendo will actually produce for (nintendo's discluded from the adult games list of course, but is a big part in games for non-gamers).

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de