by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (7th_zorro), 1,390 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180355
01/31/08 00:48
01/31/08 00:48
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Well I most certainly have something to say to you!

Good luck in your future projects and I wish you the best.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: fastlane69] #180356
01/31/08 13:50
01/31/08 13:50
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
For being honest, I wouldn't mind if there are references to the engine... but for god sake, dont call it "Game studio" anymore, make the official name "Acknex".

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #180357
01/31/08 15:20
01/31/08 15:20
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
@michael:
Wasn't there a difference?
I mean "Acknex" is the 3D engine, and "Gamestudio" is the whole package, including the engine and the editors/tools.

@topic:
Choosing a custom icon would be very cool indeed, but not only for pro-users
And the name "Game Studio" (or rather the words) do not seem to be considered that "childish" as Microsoft offers an "XNA Game Studio"

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Xarthor] #180358
01/31/08 15:24
01/31/08 15:24
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

@michael:
Wasn't there a difference?
I mean "Acknex" is the 3D engine, and "Gamestudio" is the whole package, including the engine and the editors/tools.

Yeah, but "gamestudio" sounds... you know childish(look below)

Quote:

@topic:
And the name "Game Studio" (or rather the words) do not seem to be considered that "childish" as Microsoft offers an "XNA Game Studio"

...Which is mainly used by h4xx0r kiddies...

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #180359
01/31/08 15:34
01/31/08 15:34
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
Quote:

...Which is mainly used by h4xx0r kiddies...

.. ok you got a point

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Xarthor] #180360
01/31/08 17:12
01/31/08 17:12
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Quote:

@topic:

Check beta page...

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: FBL] #180361
01/31/08 17:27
01/31/08 17:27
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
@firo:
you mean this: ?
Quote:

The engine window can now display user defined icons in the task bar. If an icon named "32.ico" or "16.ico" is found in the work folder, it is automatically loaded and used for the task bar icon in stead of the default A7 icon.

I think thats quite cool that is was realised so fast (although I doubt it was that hard to implement), but still this does not represent what some users requested:
A "choose-icon" option for the compiled exe without having to use a resource-hacker.

My request:
Implement a dialog, when publishing, where a user can choose an icon file which is then used for the .exe file.
Which edition this is featured in is up to you (conitec).

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Xarthor] #180362
02/05/08 17:37
02/05/08 17:37
Lisbon, Portugal
M
mmelo Offline
mmelo  Offline
M

Lisbon, Portugal
Very interesting thread. Let me just throw my 2 cents in...

I too concur with the concerns of a lot of the posters in this thread and, from my own experience, they are not unfounded. I don't know what JetpackMonkey said in his last (deleted) post - but until then his comments are pertinent.

I longer work in the games industry, but I did do as a Software Engineer for 5 years (for such companies as EA, Psygnosis/SCEE and Take 2) - and I can tell you that there is a good degree of prejudice on what sort of middleware you use - at least when you pitch to a big/non-casual game publisher.

Now, I will not argue on the merits of 3dgs and its stability. But it does not carry the sort of "hardcore developer" vibe that expensive engines do. And like it or not, gamedev still is a very macho type industry.

Of course you will eventually need to let the publisher know what technology you are using, if not before, during technical dilligence. But you certainly could benefit from the time you buy by 3dgs _not_ being the first thing those guys see! It's a bit like not wanting to sport your best studio Casio keyboard when you go play live in front of a crowd, but rather covering the back of your synth or pasting a KORG sticker on it.

So, really, we can discuss if JetpackMonkey or HeelX or anyone else will ever _really_ get to pitch to company A or big wig B and use that to dismiss these concerns. But assuming they ever get the foot in the door, if my experience when I was "on the other side of the table" is anything to go by, the same demo with no obvious 3dgs hints will work to their advantage.

Cheers,

Miguel

Last edited by mmelo; 02/05/08 17:40.
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: mmelo] #180363
02/06/08 06:39
02/06/08 06:39
P
pus2meong Offline
pus2meong  Offline
P

In my point of view:

Game Studio product now is entering the state of development software like VB, VC, or Delphi, and indeed important to put the icon editor and version info features.

Imagine if the programmer finally finished the game and get suprised because they can't use their own icon, also to be more annoying when he/she right click the exe file and find out if the information in Version tab is saying "Game Studio", "ver 7.7" "copyright to Conitec". He/she will scream: "Wait a minute! I made this program, this program is belong to me!"

In Delphi for example, this development software provide us feature to change the icon (without forcing programmer to do the harsh method), and option to add information like: Copyright, programmer name, file version, ect and can be accessed via right click on the exe file (distributable file).

I believe this is not a mater of reason "to hide the engine identity" or other similiar things, but the freedom to configure the program atribute. Programmer will me more gladful if they can create exe or dll file with his/her own attribut (icon & version info). If someoene ask what kind of engine did they use? i believe most of programmer will just say "3dgamestudio or A7" (atleast i will said that).

Also, when no icon changing and version info feature, most programmer will think if they dont have full copyright/ownership of the software which they created using Game Studio (at least that what i believe).

So, custom icon + version info feature would be a great things to add.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: pus2meong] #180364
02/06/08 08:26
02/06/08 08:26
Guangzhou China
bomber Offline
bomber  Offline

Guangzhou China
the reason I have com and didn't want to buy pro is because I didn't find huge differences between them, but if it's able to make the demo look unconnected to 3dgs ,I'd upgrade to pro now.

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."
————Donald Rumfeld
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de