by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (VoroneTZ, TipmyPip), 1,333 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: alleen] #182125
02/06/08 22:57
02/06/08 22:57
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

surely not outcast. it was one of the last voxel engine powered games and had awkward visuals.

but outcast had some really nice water effects:

Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: broozar] #182126
02/06/08 23:35
02/06/08 23:35
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

does this situation when my PC can run NFS:Carbon smoothly, but can't run a simple Demo Scene even with the lowest settings, seem normal to you???

makes sense to me. NFS:Carbon, like broozar said, has plenty of fallback options for bad cards (9200 is a bad card. in fact, even when it first came out it was the slowest of its generation) and is designed to run on weak systems (like the PS2). the demos from this season's contest weren't designed to run on such old and slow systems, and wouldn't have been optimised to the extent that Carbon was.

also, do you have ogg installed? i heard there were serious framerate issues in Rudi if you didn't install ogg. aside from that, it runs smoothly on max settings on my crappy laptop.

which demo scene is giving you trouble? i know at least one of those was made specifically to show off flashy effects (which was really the purpose of the contest), and it is difficult to support weak systems at the same time as keeping the download size small.

Quote:

i am more concerned about notebook graphics cards. a 8600 in a notebook is damn hot and eats ridiculously much power. so, designing a casual game, i'd take notebook GPUs like Intel x3100 or radeon x1250 as reference.

that's an interesting thought. my notebook is a couple of years old and was really cheap and dodgy at the time we bought it, and it doesn't have a graphics card, but it supports shader version 2.0.

still, there are plenty out there who almost never buy new computers. my girlfriend's computer is an absolute fossil. mind you, she only got broadband last week thanks to me. before that she was on dial-up. she spends almost no time on the computer, which impresses me considering how many people we know who live on myspace sending out bulletins titled "i'm bored" all the time. her brother wasn't too happy when he found out he couldn't run AOE3 at a reasonable speed though.

@outcast: wow. 1999? i just looked it up because i was stunned by how smooth the terrain is, but as suspected it's not polygonal.

great graphics for those days.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: broozar] #182127
02/06/08 23:36
02/06/08 23:36
regensburg
alleen Offline
alleen  Offline

regensburg
the models actually had bump maps, take a look at that giant dinosaur thing here:
http://planet-adelpha.net/Outcast/screenshots.html

but yes, the environment (apart from the water i think, and the skymap) only consisted of simple voxels

... there once was a making of video online, where they show the process of skinning one of those citicens in outcast, with bump maps.. i'll try to find it, but i don't know if it's still online

edit:
http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/index.htm

Last edited by alleen; 02/06/08 23:41.
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: JibbSmart] #182128
02/07/08 06:20
02/07/08 06:20
Latvia
Leonardo Offline
Leonardo  Offline

Latvia
All I'm saying is that the number of games games made in 3DGS actually getting completed is low, and because of the lack of said "fallback" options the focus shouldn't be on the shaders, but on other things. Heck, sometimes you can achieve good-looking effects by faking them. As I said, if I have a small yet graphically appealing game made in 3DGS that I cannot even run on my PC, what is the point of making such a game? And don't start saying that I cannot run Crysis too, player expectations are higher now.... It will be a long time till someone creates a game like Crysis using 3DGS, so these kinds of games and 3DGS games are not comparable!
And I'm talking about the Demo Scene - it is actually called Demo Scene....

"Things of the mind left untested by the senses are useless."
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: Leonardo] #182129
02/07/08 10:58
02/07/08 10:58
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
i understand, but your example is terrible. "demo scene" is designed specifically to show off slin's shader effects, not to show how good he can make it look without being too taxing on weak cards. it's not designed for pixel shader 1.4, which isn't useful for shadow mapping and other modern effects.

you're position is understandable, but use a more appropriate example. one that someone actually wishes to distribute widely at some point in time to a wide target audience, and perhaps make some money with.

julz

I made KarBOOM!
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: JibbSmart] #182130
02/07/08 11:10
02/07/08 11:10
Latvia
Leonardo Offline
Leonardo  Offline

Latvia
OK, maybe I exaggerated a bit when using the Demo Scene as an example, but it was just meant to show a growing trend in 3DGS games, at least judging by the posts in this forum. Everybody is trying to include shaders in their game, just take a look at ShowcaseI. If it is just meant for experimenting with the possibilities of the engine, then OK, but if the developer is really planning on selling the game, it's wrong.

Leonardo

Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: Leonardo] #182131
02/07/08 11:37
02/07/08 11:37
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
fair enough. but if i were you i would buy a more modern graphics card from ebay though i've seen your games don't need shader effects to look nice.

julz

I made KarBOOM!
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: JibbSmart] #182132
02/07/08 11:42
02/07/08 11:42
Latvia
Leonardo Offline
Leonardo  Offline

Latvia
Thank you very much, I appreciate that! I am planning to buy a more up-to-date PC, with everything maxed out, if my budget allows me to do that, but it's still some months away...

Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: Leonardo] #182133
02/07/08 13:04
02/07/08 13:04
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
You should not beat shaders down so much. You dont need PS 3.0 for making good visuals. The problem with very flat and bad lighted models in 3dgs can only be solved with shadowmapping or gpu lighting. Even the fixed function pipeline can render bump mapping, faked reflection through an environment cube map and other nice effects like cartoon rendering, lava and such.

There is really no excuse to not use such techniques. No talking about gameplay, old graphic cards ore whatever. You all can use it. Get you a copy of SMEE2.0 or just look into the WIKI. Every card can render the old stuff and it will improve lighting very much.

Why should a game look bad, only because it was made by a small team or one person? While we are talking here you could even have achieved it through just checking it out.

Otherwise it is better to stick to 2d-games. But even then you need fantastic graphics to compete with every standard casual game out there. Casual games are no excuse for bad graphics anymore. They look appealing, have a good mood and sell so good, that some companies made Millions with it.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: what shader version does your card support? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #182134
02/07/08 13:22
02/07/08 13:22
Latvia
Leonardo Offline
Leonardo  Offline

Latvia
Well, I agree that a game shouldn't look bad, but a developer (especially one who is using 3DGS) shouldn't sacrifice a part of the potential buyers by implementing shaders. It is alright with me, if a game uses such techniques that work on most of the video cards and still looks good. That's just great!!
But the difference between other games that use shaders and 3DGS games, I guess is the possibility to have fallback options, as others mentioned here. Well, here's a question - how hard would it be to implement shaders in a 3DGS game, but also have these fallback options, that somehow fake the shader? If that is possible with 3DGS and not very hard, then I'll stop ranting here! ^^

Leonardo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de