by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 1,151 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy. #195467
09/28/05 17:09
09/28/05 17:09
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
Intense Ai: New Demo!!! Win A free copy.

Hello everyone,

After a long long time, I managed to get another demo up for you. There you go..

Intense Ai - Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

For the faint of the heart, I've also made a slower version. Same rules, but both you and the bot are walking slower. Mouse sensitivity is also dropped.. a tad. However, you can 'cheat' by going faster than the bot, when keeping SHIFT pressed.

Intense Ai - Slower Blast From The Past - 4.5 MB

It's you and one bot, powered with Intense Ai(duh), fighting it to the death. First to reach 20 Frags wins.

I'm also setting up a little contest for fun. If you get to win the match you'll be rewarded by a "secret password". The first one to post this password here will get a free copy of Intense Ai - Standard version, when it's out.

I think I made the bot pretty tough. The idea is, it's easier to make a hard Ai weaker, than visa versa. Other than that, the match is fair. Both the player and the bot have the same HitPoints, same speed and the bot never 'cheats' in any way. It's like playing multiplayer with another human player.

I think I'm gonna post a pic now...

Old timers may also recognise the level. I practicaly ripped every texture, sound, model and the music from the old game Doom II. This is the first map, Entryway, which I initially made myself, and then Bilbo_bogimps redid it cause mine was horrible . All the doom weapons are also there and they behave exacly like in the original. I had to go without the BGF though, cause that thing needed one full day to be coded and I really didn't had the time.. So, sorry BFG fans, maybe in another version .

Ok guys, N'joy. Let me know what you think.
Aris
Last edited by LarryLaffer; 09/29/05 08:16.

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
233 Comments
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: LarryLaffer] #195537
10/30/05 16:04
10/30/05 16:04
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
nah, medevil type game. Bad guys comming at you with swords and axes.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: FoxHound] #195538
11/04/05 23:12
11/04/05 23:12
from the 'Burgh to Denver
CBuilder2 Offline
Developer
CBuilder2  Offline
Developer

from the 'Burgh to Denver
Aris,

Any progress on this?

Thanks,

CBuilder

Total_Stupidity = (Ben_Roethlisberger + Motorcycle) - Helmet
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: CBuilder2] #195539
11/05/05 14:10
11/05/05 14:10
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
Sure, Basic Hearing-Seeing-Feeling Senses is Done. Some new Goals have been made(that I didn't needed for the previous Arena style demo, but I need with a realistic game with Allys), like FollowLeader, Patrol, Guard etc, etc.

I'm now still working on the collision avoidance(I wanna get it perfect the first time, cause it becomes extremely important later with 20+ bots inside) and also optimising my Points of Visibility Graph a bit(don't create an edge between two waypoints if there's a huge lava pit in the middle, but do create an edge if there's an obstacle that you can step on or jump it). Things like that...

Collision avoidance is the hardest part left. once this is done, then I'm left with tidying up code, writting documentations and stuff like that.. Hopefully I won't step on my -one month- deadline..

cheers everyone. I'll keep you updated.
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: LarryLaffer] #195540
11/05/05 15:52
11/05/05 15:52
Las Cruces, NM
JimFox Offline
User
JimFox  Offline
User

Las Cruces, NM
Hi Aris,
How do you handle the problem of two bots getting stuck together with both unable to move?
I know about event_stuck, but am not sure that is the best answer.
One thing for sure, this can destroy the illusion of intelligence!!
I look forward with interest to seeing your AI completed.
Best regards,
Jim

Jim
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: JimFox] #195541
11/05/05 21:35
11/05/05 21:35
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
That's a really complicated subject that lots of developers get stuck with sooner or later.

Most commercial Titles 'cheat' when it comes to that. Ever Bot is passable with the other Bots, but they make sure that you never actually witness a Bot actually walking through another one. Of a collision is detected, the other bot will have a 'stepping out of the way' animation and move a little to preserve the illusion of intelligence. Also, a nice collision avoidance will help things as well, since no Bot will actually walk towards another one in the first place.

So the best thing to do is keep a nice collision avoidance system for all your bots and in the unlikely(but possible) event that to Bots get stuck, you set them passable with each other to avoid FPS drops and other nasty things like that. I know for sure that the game "The Thing" followed the exact same procedure, and I'm sure many others did too.

I'll let you guys know how my collision avoidance goes on. I don't like to 'cheat' in any way so I'll only do the passable thing if everything else fails or doesn't work as expected.

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: LarryLaffer] #195542
11/08/05 12:21
11/08/05 12:21
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
Hi Larry,

Im glad to see your still doing this. Hope to see something soon!

capanno

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: capanno] #195543
11/09/05 05:04
11/09/05 05:04
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

Concerning the Doom arena demo, did the bot aim at average "mouse" speed? In other words, was the speed in which the bot turned and aimed its "crosshair" on its target, near the speed it would take a player to do the same with a mouse?

Assuming that the player possesses a projectile weapon, how would you go about increasing difficulty for AI entities that can only use melee, hand-to-hand combat type attacks against the player? Obviously, using "pack" strategies and having the entities attack en masse would probably increase the chances of successful attacks. For single units, it might seem that attacks would be more successful, if the attacking entity tried to remain in the player's blind spots, but the annoyance factor for players might be too high for such a tactic. The appearance of attacking entities resorting to a ridiculous amount of strafing at incredulous speeds would be undesirable. What alternate tactics would you implement or have you implemented for this circumstance?

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: testDummy] #195544
11/09/05 06:47
11/09/05 06:47
Under your couch
Silent_Assassin Offline
Developer
Silent_Assassin  Offline
Developer

Under your couch
Im sure Aris can think of a way

Visit us at www.m-tec-development.com WIP - Urban Conflict
Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: Silent_Assassin] #195545
11/09/05 15:34
11/09/05 15:34
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
testDummy : You can set both the player's and the Bot's aiming speed. I checked again when Rhuarc mentioned that a few weeks ago, and player's aim speed was set slower to help with mouse sensitivity(many people complained about it).
The arena demo was there to let the Bots prove to you how tough they can get. In a realistic game you can set the aiming speed much lower for a more human-like behavior.

Since I've mentioned that, here's a few things I keep in my mind while trying to implement more realistic behavior in the next demo. Of course, all these are configurable through WED so you can make it easier or harder, depending on your game needs.

It's a bunch of rules that people like to call 'Artificial Stupidity: The Art of Intentional Mistakes'.

Move Before Firing: NPCs should move the first time they see the player rather than shoot them(Nothing is more distrurbing than walking into a new room or arena and being immediately shot by a Bot).

Be Visible: Although in real-life combat situations, opponents do their best to remain invisible, in the game world great camouflage makes for bad gameplay. Pixel scrubbing while searching for opponents is not an enjoyable experience, so think twice about how you're going to texture your Bots.

Have Horrible Aim: Abundant gunfire is desirable, as it keeps players on the move and the tension high, thus increasing the pace of the game. However, abundant gunfire is undesirable if the player dies too quickly.

Miss the First Time: It is not fun to suddenly and unexpectedly take large amounds of damage. In general, players often feel cheated in such situations.Missing the first time gives the player a second to react and maintains a high level of tension.

Warn the player: Either visually, by playing a short "about-to-attack" animation or aurally by playing a sound(a beep, gun click etc) or having a human opponent announce "Gotcha!" or "Take This". Making a sound is very important in the case you mentioned -the melee guy(ninja) attacking from blind spots.

Attack "Kung-Fu" Style: A technique that Half Life Really Reaally used.. Even if there's a swarm of enemies around, only 2 or 3 are allowed to attack the player, while the others do secondary goals like Reload, Take Cover, etc..

Tell the Player what you are doing: When a player a witnesses an NPC's actions, it can be difficult for the player to interpret what the NPC is actually doing. Is a running opponent going for cover, getting reinforcements, doing a flanking maneuver, or just running aimlessly trying not to get shot? Again, a Bot might yell, "Flanking!" or "Cover me!" or "Retreat" to his friends when performing an action, to help the player understand.

React to mistakes: Again, at Half-Life beta-testing phase, it was discovered that occasionally when a player threw a grenade at a group of NPCs, Half-Life's pathfinding algorithm was unable to find a path for all of the NPCs to escape. Rather than redesigning the pathfinding system, Valve's solution was to detect when the problm occured and play specialty animations of ther trapped marines crouching down and putting their hands over their heads. This was very well received by the players, as it added to the character of the game.

Pull back at the last minute: The NPCs will attack vigorously until the player is near death. The player's health and resources should be pushed to the limit but not beyond. Once the player has reached the edge, the AI will pull back, attack less effectively and become easier to kill. After winning, a player experiencing this scenario really feels like he accomplished something.

I'm not saying Im getting all these in Intense Ai right now, I just typed them cause I thought they might be a nice read for some and I'll be implementing most of them as an optional thing through WED eventually. Hopefully, when all versions of Intense Ai have been built, most of these tricks could be selected through WED.

About the melee thing, although I will not have team-tactics in the Standard version, I should be able to get quite effective melee enemies, always regarding to the 'artificial stupidity tricks' of course.. So from what I've said already, given that I have enough time for this, you might be able to see the 'ninja' guy jump out besides you, warn you audiably with a phrase "You're Dead now! haha!" and then attempt to attack you.

Every feature I'll make for Intense Ai standard, I'll make sure to use it in the next demo I'm building, so you'll be able to see how many features I actually managed to pull through.

Hope I answered your questions within all this mumbling.. lol
Aris

Re: Intense Ai: New Demo!!! [Re: LarryLaffer] #195546
11/09/05 17:40
11/09/05 17:40
San Diego, CA
DCorwin Offline
DCorwin  Offline

San Diego, CA
I know you've touched on this before, but could you recap what algorhythms you're using for the pathfinding routines? I was just going over George's AUM articles on Pefect AI and it's really impressive, so I'm wondering if you're building on those concepts, or going a different direction, etc.

I'm looking forward to this addon!

Dave C. Polcino Digital Complete http://www.digitalcomplete.com dave@digitalcomplete.com -------------------
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de