by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,218 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Supernatural Olympics - project release #197185
08/03/06 05:24
08/03/06 05:24
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
The Supernatural Olympics - project release

The Supernatural Olympics is now available. Download the free edition here. It utilizes the power of the 2D engine of Gamestudio and has no 3D elements of any kind. Despite being 2D, there is a very strong 3D feel the game.

The Supernatural Olympics has numerous features, of which are explained in rich detail here.

These are the controls (see the quick review in the menu help for the interactive tutorial):
Control key - jump (and jump in mid-air)
Left shift key - use the flash attack if in mid-air
Alt - press and hold when in mid-air to fall-glide
Space bar - press once for bounce stomp, and a second time for the pound stomp
Right shift key - press and hold to glide
Q - toggle between frame advance and normal game modes
W - double the game time
S - half the game time
H - horizon indicator toggle
M - call menu
Arrow keys - move, hold while using flash attack to aim, highlight menu options
Enter - select menu options, advance to next group of text in tutorial, confirm inputs

Here are some screenshots of the game (more are in the links within the descriptions page linked above):

Supersonic gliding

Playing a challenge at medium difficulty in normal mode.

The pound stomp means serious speed.

Stopping stirs up dust.

Edit: if you find any bugs, please report them either here, or, preferrably, on my forum. Download the game manual here.
Edit #2: added brief control summary.
Last edited by ulillillia; 08/03/06 07:32.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
37 Comments
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: TheExpert] #197195
08/03/06 23:30
08/03/06 23:30
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

we would pefer to see features like that :
- full physic engine included
- bump shader and lights applied to sprite via texture applied to a polygon
plane with transparency
- ragdoll incorpored on character
- some 3D environment objects even if 2D gameplay
etc ...

This is a 2D game made with nothing but panels. Shaders are not possible with 2D games.

I can't use a more worthy physics engine because the range and accuracy of the var has always been problematic. Before I can do this, I need Lite-C so I can use floats and doubles. I have ten features I want to add, but can't without very complex algorithms that are frustrating to work with to work around the limits of the var. The var is my number obstacle to work around. You're only 420 feet short from the point in which strange things start occurring when at the absolute highest possible (46,218 5/9 feet). Adding drag and other physics stuff is on my list of future plans, but won't be able to be added without being able to use floats and doubles or extremely complex algorithms that are just too frustrating to work with. Why not just go with the var as is? Objects get noticably misaligned in the matter of only two minutes at true time.

I want my game to be purely 2D. Not a single 3D element is used in any form: models, terrains, WMB levels, sprites, nothing. I'm much more comfortable with 2D than with 3D. I have a related 3D game, but let's not go offtopic.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: beegee] #197196
08/03/06 23:40
08/03/06 23:40
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

- too much texts to read, too small font sizes and a really boring font type(it looks like a DOS game from 1990, we live now in 2006!) -- use TrueTypes instead they are flexibler,easier to develope and are looking much better MUCH more professional, use more different font colors

Truetype fonts aren't really an option. The reason is getting word wrap to function properly. With an even-width font, this is easy to do as I just count characters and insert line feeds as needed. Plus, there doesn't seem to be a way to create TTF files, let alone having users install the fonts in their fonts directory. Since there isn't a way to dynamically change the font color of bitmap fonts, I'm unable to do this as well.

Quote:

- not the best key setting, use buttons to click on sth. instead of keys

I could add a way in the menus to change what keys do what - a key configuration.

Quote:

Maybe I get time to test your game, but it's really complex. Keep it up, and improve your game.

I have numerous new enhancements planned, a good chunk of which (such as using slopes or pitched gliding) require using floats and doubles to work around the accuracy and range problems with the var. Otherwise, I'd have to use frustratingly complex algorithms to do the same. When Lite-C is available, I'd almost certainly add many of these.

Quote:

ps: Do you know LittleFighter2? This is a 2d game too, but with a better gfx and animations. Maybe you can have a look on it.

Nope. I never heard of it.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197197
08/04/06 01:49
08/04/06 01:49
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
Is it possible to program your game in C/C++??? That would give you the float and double variables you are looking for?

Sorry, slightly off topic.

Regards,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: Rad_Daddy] #197198
08/04/06 04:04
08/04/06 04:04
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I don't know C/C++ - it looks too confusing with the strange syntax used, and there doesn't seem to be any functions from looking at some sources.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197199
08/04/06 07:05
08/04/06 07:05
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
This is really neat(and fun) Uli. I'd reccomend picking up a copy of Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro(for 2d art), and creating a really fun sidescrolling game(like mario or sonic) for your next project. You seem to be very adept at creating 2d games. Keep it up!

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: William] #197200
08/04/06 07:12
08/04/06 07:12
old_bill Offline
Senior Expert
old_bill  Offline
Senior Expert

Do you know skyboarding? It would be really fun, jumping as high as you can
and then take out your board and "surf" down to earth.
But besides the critiques from above, nice game, just the interface could
need some tune up with visual elements. And for the fonts, check out
the windows standard fonts, their are plenty of it, and i'm sure,
you'll find one that fits to your needs, it would really improve the
ability to read the text + offer realtime color changes.

old_bill

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: old_bill] #197201
08/04/06 07:49
08/04/06 07:49
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
This is still only the beginning of this game though. The next update has numerous new features planned for it, the two biggest being traffic and an enhanced character (with 3D lighting effects and over twice the size with a much better and more realistic-looking shape). Further into the future, there'll be slopes, pitched gliding (pitch up and down while gliding), objects you can jump on, and maybe even customizable time control. All these elements require Lite-C so I can use floats and doubles. I'm adding whatever I can at the moment. This is the full list of future plans.

As to fonts, the only one that even seems suitable is Courier New as it's even width, unless there's a way to using wordwrap to 512 pixels, 256 pixels, etc. of non-even-width text (I'd like to use either Arial or Verdana). Like with entities where you can set ambient_red, ambient_green, and ambient_blue, this would be especially useful for texts so bitmap fonts can have their colors dynamically altered. Set it to 255 for red, 128 for green and 0 for blue gives orange text. It works best when the color of the text is true white.

I use GIMP to make all my stuff with. Adobe Photoshop costs double what my spending limit even allows and I otherwise don't have the money for the cheaper Paintshop Pro either.

As to visual elements, I could add such things (and post them in my future plans list). The more requests I get, the higher my motive gets and the higher the chance of implementing it and sooner, provided that the var doesn't get in the way.

From my website's statistics, I've noticed that there have been 24 downloads since the start of this month. The number of completed downloads, that I don't know.

Edit: I just added the visual, clickable user interface feature to my future plans list.

Last edited by ulillillia; 08/04/06 08:07.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197202
08/04/06 08:32
08/04/06 08:32
Straight_Heart Offline
Straight_Heart  Offline

Ive been watching this game for a while, I was reletivly anxious to play it.

I have some mixed reactions about the demo.

1. GRAPHICS

So far the hud seems more like a flight simulator, small tiny numbers and statistics all over the screen, all of them tickling away whenever you move. Unfortunatly, I ended up watching them more than I was my character and environment, as you need to know how many jumps are left, and when exactly to perfom another mid-air jump. It seemed I was piloting an aircraft, and had to monitor numbers, instead of a dream-like sense of freedom not cluttered with numbers. For example, if you've ever looked at the game Black and White 2, there are an unbeleivable amount of statistics being run in the background, viliger numbers, grain stock, temperatures, rain, pregnancy stage, creature speed, etc. All these things are kept in the black box, because they arent needed for the player (the player can access them at will however). Im not asking you to play the game but take a look at it. There are undeniably more statistics being kept track of and more functions running than your game, and there are little to zero amounts of on onscreen panels. Your game relies too heavily on watching numbers and states of the character.

The graphics are pretty awful.

Trust me when I say that I am no Picasso, or can make anything half decent in photoshop or whatever shop, but its pretty plain to see that these graphics are simplistic in the most non-attractive way possible. Im sure 90% of customers who buy games arent artistically inclined or programming prodigies, but they can tell when graphics are bad. Your character's head is so deformed and annoying to look at. The character animation is awful also, from what I can tell there are no more than 2 frames of animation for the running, and the 2 frames are pretty drastic looking from each other which causes blinking. The speed right before he starts to glide causes the .2 frame animation to play so fast that he becomes partially transparent. Ths buildings show no sign of forethought in my opinion, as they are just blocks of color with the same window repeated. Pure green grass with no sign of color variance for texture, pure grey for the floor surrounding the buildings, this was obviously done in MS paint, and it seems you didnt even try putting detail. You can say that at the billion mph speeds you can go that detail wont matter, its the same as saying project gotham racing or any racing game on the market to have single color textureless objects because of the speeds the cars in the game will go. Knowing from as many posts that I have read from you, I am sure there are MANY technical accuracys you have in place, like the amount of pixels between each window, how many floors each building has, but unfortunatly these hold no water in enjoying the graphics.

Many will think I am a jerk for saying this about his graphics, and I stress again that Im no real artist, but this is a videogame, and graphics generally are THE important, or 50% important part of the game. No one's asking you to make each sprite a picasso, but there are easily a billion small managable things you can do to make the sprites attractive.

I was hoping to zoom past various buildings, maybe a monument, park, hell anything. But Ive only been flying past a lifeless grid of buildings meticulously placed in a straight line. I know how much you stress of what an accomplishment it is to make the background soley from panels, but if only using panels causes a repetitive yet mathematically accurate model of movement and scales, you'd be better off using ANY of the other countless tools GS has to realize an environment.

2. GAMEPLAY

The feeling of speed is somewhat enjoyable when you are moving past buildings, as these are visual aids to see how fast you are moving. But when you get to the clouds, the only visual clue is how fast your vertical distance number is changing and increasing (other than the slowly moving clouds). Technically knowing you are breaking the sound barrier is totally different than experiencing the visual cues and effects of that amount speed. You may think this is another jab at his graphics, but the feeling of speed and the visuals of speed are a large part of the gameplay.

But the amount of movement and freedom from gravity and restraints is one of the best aspects of your game. Running at that amount of speed was pretty cool, then multiple jumping in the air was pretty fun. Though I find it odd that I was gaining more height by bouncing back into the ground and ascending higher than my last peak. I found the bouncing was hard to time, and the majority of my tries ended up me just standing still on the floor after many successful bounces. Yes this can be improved by practice, but I thought it was a little counter intuitive in reaching higher heights. I assumed there was a way to chain flash attacks and multi-jump in mid air to continuously gain height without returning to earth, which ended up making me play a bouncing ball game. Maybe you can implement air currents and up drafts and ride the character into them to gain height in the first stages of earth's atmosphere.

The challenges were pretty boring, as all I was doing was number watching. Making sure I did X speed within a certain amount of time or maintaining X speed during some time. As you can tell I only did 2 of the challenges, and these certainly did not make me want to continue with the others. Maybe collecting objects in the air, or on the ground would be a much better option for challenges (for the beginning at least). You should code in an A.I to challenge against you, or even better, a whole team of A.I controlled players to compete against each other, performing collision detection for some competetive roughness. This would add a much more interesting factor in an OLYMPIC event, seeing it was a lonely, synthetic world harboring only you, and statistics.

Im a little disappointed in the demo, and I am sure you wont change anything in your game for anybody now since you are selling the full game distributable at the moment.

From what I see, is that you put the demo out at the same time you did the full game. This is pretty risky, and this assumes that customers like the demo that you have now. This demo should be out to the public say for a month before you actually sell the full game. As perfect as you think your game is, not everyone else has that understanding of your game, and I honestly think there is a small niche of people who would buy this game as it is now.

You're not as unique as you think you are, try again.
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: Straight_Heart] #197203
08/04/06 08:42
08/04/06 08:42
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

From what I see, is that you put the demo out at the same time you did the full game. This is pretty risky, and this assumes that customers like the demo that you have now. This demo should be out to the public say for a month before you actually sell the full game. As perfect as you think your game is, not everyone else has that understanding of your game, and I honestly think there is a small niche of who would buy this game as it is now.

I haven't been able to even release the full game yet. The reason is account activation issues with Regnow. Several users like the game in some ways but think the UI is a little low. I recently added enhancements to it to my future plans list. Unlike most games, this game will be continually modified with updates continually released. The updates are free within a version. This is just the first release though. The next release, 2.5, will be a free update anyway.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197204
08/04/06 09:33
08/04/06 09:33
Glasgow, Scotland
Lost Offline
Lost  Offline

Glasgow, Scotland
Everything I was expecting it to be.

Good job so far uli.

Lost Games WIP - Nysho and the Attack of the Boons Rise up and flame me like the prepubescent man you outa be son!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de