by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,405 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
RUDI - the secret Christmas project #199334
12/17/07 19:30
12/17/07 19:30
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
RUDI - the secret Christmas project

"On the Night before Christmas Eve, something went wrong... and there is only one reindeer to make it alright."

TRAILER:
youTube

high quality trailer on my page:
RUDI game page

GALLERY:
click here to get to the gallery

The elves were about to deliver the last gifts to Santa Claus. Unfortunately, they didn't notice that all the toys got lost into the starry sky... now it is on you to collect all lost presents to save Christmas!

"RUDI" is an open source Christmas game. Experience fun and action in a living & graphically stunning world packed with passion and wonder, elves, sweet penguins, eskimo villages and lots of gifts to collect. Travel around the world with Rudi - the presents got lost everywhere. Each gift you collect adds a sleigh to your chain.. don't cross them! Santa will give you some delicious gingerbread cookies for every sleigh at the end of each level, so make sure to collect as many as possible!

Rudi is a game for everyone. Beginners can start promptly, without reading a manual. You will control Rudi with the cursor keys only. If you are a hardcore gamer, you will love it too, as some packets are really well-hidden and require a lot of skill to capture them.

As if that were not enough, we added a complete do-it-yourself game development workshop! Create your own games with the A7 game engine with ease and the help of this well-structured e-book. Learn about the development process, the game mechanics and its tricks. Code examples and pictures will guide you through it and make game development a pleasure.

One level demo featuring the Northpole will be released on Christmas Eve 2007.

Developed by Christian Behrenberg in association with trisymphony.com. We support the Creatice Commons, therefore we use some music done by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) for the soundtrack. The game source is GPL licensed, the packed game distribution is free and the workshop is licensed under a Creative Commons license.

The game will be released on Christmas Eve 2007. So, further information will be added here. C&C are welcome. Please visit my site: http://www.christian-behrenberg.com

Cheers,
Christian
Last edited by HeelX; 12/17/07 20:22.
80 Comments
Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: HeelX] #199354
12/24/07 15:24
12/24/07 15:24
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Great game Christian, all aspects just give a nice impression
The models, the music, the environment,... give a complete Xmass atmosphere !!
Nice as always

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: frazzle] #199355
12/25/07 20:28
12/25/07 20:28
Mainz
oliver2s Offline
Expert
oliver2s  Offline
Expert

Mainz
Es haben ja noch gar nicht viele Leute etwas dazu gesagt...Also ich hab gestern das Spiel mal eine Weile gespielt. Die Atmosphäre ist wirklich sehr gelungen. Die Welt ist sehr detailverliebt und schön gestaltet. Alle Modells und Texturen passen super zusammen. Die Musik passt auch gut ins Spiel. Sie erzeugt eine gute Weihnachtsstimmung.
Das Spielprinzip sagt mir nicht so zu. Ich finde es nach einer Zeit langweilig die ganze Zeit von A nach B zu rennen und etwas aufzusammeln (oder war ich nur zu ungeduldig und es kommt da noch mehr??).
Alles in allem aber trotzdem ein schönes abgerundetes Spiel. Gute Arbeit

[edit]damn, I didn't notice the thread is in english

Last edited by oliver2s; 12/25/07 20:29.
Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: oliver2s] #199356
12/25/07 20:43
12/25/07 20:43
hamburg
Samb Offline
Serious User
Samb  Offline
Serious User

hamburg
i'm sorry that I write in german, but I can't make a game critic in detail with my english knowledge. so to all english user: just post what you think

wie oliver sagte, die grafik ist wirklich sehr gelungen und stimmig. jedoch ist das gameplay, um es vorsichtig zu sagen, sehr sehr unmotivierend.
was stört?
1. die kamera. ja, jedes third person spiel hat damit zu kämpfen, aber man kann eben workarounds finden.
in jeglicher situation wo man zum bildschirm hinrennt ist es absolut unmöglich abzuschätzen ob da nun ein baum, eine wand oder sonst was kommt. daher entweder die kamera eher in vogelperspektivenposition versetzen oder eben eine rückenkamera verwenden, welche sich mitdreht.
2. die steuerung ist ungenau. solche sachen mit automatisch laufen und vielen kleinen hindernissen, wo man auch mal SCHRÄG laufen muss, kann man bei spielen verwenden wo es mit analogstick gespielt wird. aber mit tastertur ist es zu ungenau. vor allem das dritte geschenk (müsste das dritte gewesen sein) war sehr frustrierend.
3. bam, tot, leben weg UND fang ganz von vorne an.
da hatte ich ein diabolisches lachen des programmieres im ohr
wozu gibt es leben wenn ich ja eh alle geschenke verliere wenn ich gegen eine wand knalle? ich richte mich ja nicht nach punkten sondern wie viele geschenkekarren ich gesammelt habe. und das ist ja auch das highlight des spieles, das die immer und immer länger wird.
ich habe 4 karren gehabt, bin dann gestorben/anne wand geknallt und hatte absolut keine motivation nun noch mal die exakt gleichen geschenke an den exakt gleichen orten noch mals einzusammeln.
4. die animation wie er rennt sieht sehr seltsam aus
5. da es eine 0.1 version ist, wird es wohl geplant sein. aber möchte es noch mal anmerken: wenn ich mit besonderen sachen zusammenknalle möchte ich auch das ich das sehe... es ist wichtig den spielern möglichkeiten zu geben, welche sie erforschen können. gestern spielte ich mal wieder mario64DS und hatte aus gag mal ausprobiert ein text-holz-schild mit ner stampfattacke zu plätten. zu meinem erstaunen ging es sogar, es war dann zur hälfte im boden. da dachte ich "guckt mario nun nach unten wenn er das schild lesen möchte?" das probierte ich prompt aus und auch daran wurde gedacht, denn mario geht in die kriechanimationüber um das schild zu lesen, was für mich als spieler witzig war
wenn ich also in feuer rase oder in wesen die vorbeilaufen, sollte dementsprechend auch was passieren und nicht "kipp um, tot"
6. das man immer ein spezielles geschenk suchen muss gefällt mir nicht, bzw. es sollte trotzdem noch extra geschenke verteilt sein, welche man per zufall finden kann.

das ist so was ich beim spielen empfand.
dieses spiel hat viel potenzial und ich hoffe das du es letztendlich dahin bringst wo es hingehört: ganz nach oben von den weihnachtsvideospielen

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: Samb] #199357
12/25/07 21:19
12/25/07 21:19
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

well, i will try to answer as long as christian is offline and tries to get his internet connection to work.

- we are aware that the game is quite difficult, however, you haven't played the very first bet where noone except christian could complete the level ;o)
- the camera position is required as the gamewold is no closed scene, rather a stage or aquarium, if you could turn the camera by 360 dgrees, you would stare into a void from time to time and this would ruin the illusion of being in a nice snowy world.
- gift piles appear at random. so there is no "3rd package", please specify its position.
- you can walk diagonally with your keyboard: just hold down e.g. up and right at the same time.
- i wanted to rework the reindeer run animation for the next (maybe january) release, i know that the hind legs look awkward.
- about the "hit/death" animations: what do you have in mind? a burning reindeer? a squished penguin?

however, thanks for your kind words about the looks and the atmosphere.

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: broozar] #199358
12/26/07 10:23
12/26/07 10:23
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Hey guys,

thanks for your criticism. We'll try to improve it, but as long it is open source you can try it on your own

We continue the development in 2008 and take a long list of suggestions from you and ourselves into account.

I will post more here when I'm back,

ciao, Christian

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: HeelX] #199359
12/27/07 14:43
12/27/07 14:43
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Quote:

"Das Spielprinzip sagt mir nicht so zu. Ich finde es nach einer Zeit langweilig die ganze Zeit von A nach B zu rennen und etwas aufzusammeln (oder war ich nur zu ungeduldig und es kommt da noch mehr??)."

(in short: "its boring")

Well, this is a problem since the level is huger than a standard snake level - you have to travel a lot. Otherwise, if I would make a level which is only 50% of the northpole level, I would have a boring scene. How do I solve this? Read on.

Quote:

"die kamera. ja, (...) in jeglicher situation wo man zum bildschirm hinrennt ist es absolut unmöglich abzuschätzen ob da nun ein baum, eine wand oder sonst was kommt. daher entweder die kamera eher in vogelperspektivenposition versetzen oder eben eine rückenkamera verwenden, welche sich mitdreht."

(in short: the camera makes the game unpredictable)

Hm, if everything would be predictable, wouldn't that be boring? I know what you are talking about - I will move the camera a bit further away when the player moves downwards. In addition, I will raise the camera when there is an obstacle between the cam and the player.

Quote:

"die steuerung ist ungenau. solche sachen mit automatisch laufen und vielen kleinen hindernissen, wo man auch mal SCHRÄG laufen muss, kann man bei spielen verwenden wo es mit analogstick gespielt wird. aber mit tastertur ist es zu ungenau."

(in short: the controls are not precise, especially on diagonal paths)

You can combine two directions to run diagonal - I really don't get why so many people are just hitting single buttons You can play it also with the joypad, but I admit that I also check only the 2 axis' - I will implement a 360° control via analog stick. Man, that is an game of skill (dt: Geschichlichkeitsspiel). But as a consequence, I plan for 0.12 a tutorial level which will play on an open field in Santa's village.

Quote:

"bam, tot, leben weg UND fang ganz von vorne an.da hatte ich ein diabolisches lachen des programmieres im ohr - wozu gibt es leben wenn ich ja eh alle geschenke verliere wenn ich gegen eine wand knalle? ich richte mich ja nicht nach punkten sondern wie viele geschenkekarren ich gesammelt habe. und das ist ja auch das highlight des spieles, das die immer und immer länger wird."

(in short: it's unfair that I have to collect all presents again when I crash against a wall)

You are right. Even though you did'nt provided a solution, I will restore the amount of sledges which you previously collected. Each life will give you massive bonuspoints at the end of each level (0.11 will feature a highscore table per level), so it's an additional ambition for the player. After a crash you just have to collect the remaining presents.

Quote:

"wenn ich mit besonderen sachen zusammenknalle möchte ich auch das ich das sehe... es ist wichtig den spielern möglichkeiten zu geben, welche sie erforschen können."

(in short: when I crash into special things I want to see it)

?? I dont get this. Do you mean that you want to know what objects are obstacles? Since there will be additional levels there will be a loader and each level should get individual screens which indicate prickly situations and such things. Or do you mean a special animation or cutscene?

Quote:

"das man immer ein spezielles geschenk suchen muss gefällt mir nicht, bzw. es sollte trotzdem noch extra geschenke verteilt sein, welche man per zufall finden kann."

(in short: collecting one special present after another is boring. Why not collection special presents?)

This will be possible, but with gingerbread hearts and special events.

I have made a list of features which will enhance the gameplay experience and so on. Though, Christmas is over, the development continues. I will start working on release 0.11 in the mid of january (until then I will be on vacation). After that, the works for additional levels (Tutorial and Level 2) will begin very soon.

I'm looking for further people, so if you have good ideas and something to contribute, please tell me.

Anyways, thanks for the positive - and, especially - for the negative feedbacks.

Cheers,
Christian

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: HeelX] #199360
12/28/07 20:57
12/28/07 20:57
München
anarchie2199 Offline
Serious User
anarchie2199  Offline
Serious User

München
Als ich jetzt die Bilder sah, wollte ich schon Loblieder anstimmen.

Das Spiel an sich benötigt aber noch viel Feintuning - allein schon die Kamera.

Dennoch ein sehr guter Anfang, kann was draus werden!

Edit: Mischung zw. 3rd person + Ansicht von oben wär wohl am besten -> guter Überblick + man sieht die gelungene Grafik.

Last edited by anarchie2199; 12/28/07 20:58.

aktuelle Projekte: Medizinstudium
Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: anarchie2199] #199361
01/01/08 23:30
01/01/08 23:30
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
nachdem auch ih das game endlich spielen kontne, muss ich dazusagen, dass ich total zwiegespalten bin.
zum einen gefällt es mir ausgezeichnet, atmosphäre, musik (auchw enns nicht meine is ) der look, idee, alles super stimmig. klasse arbeit! (natürlich)

das tutorial und der code sidn sehr verständlich, auch für ne flasche wie mich, was allerdings nicht heißen mag dass ich jetz der üebr code bin

aber rein spielerisch stimmts schon, dass es etwas tuning braucht. zu deienr verteidigung muss ich hinzufügen, dass ich weiß, wie wenig zeit du hattest, von demher ist es für den zeitaufwand sehr gelungen.
und das weißt du auch. etwas mehr zeit hätte dem ganzen gut getan^^

alles in allem ist es jedoch eines der besten spiele, die mit gamestudio je erstellt wurden,w as einiges heißn will, denn die besten spiele wurden nie veröffentlicht (was schade ist)^^

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: sPlKe] #199362
01/15/08 09:52
01/15/08 09:52
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Hello guys,

thanks for your positive and negative feedback. I held yesterday a presentation about RUDI at the NRW Spieleentwicklertreff and was also able to involve these learned lessons in a summarization of the development of v0.1 (you can download the slides and a high-def version of the trailer from now on, too). Its quiet interesting how people react on honesty.. they are immediately more interested in things and are friendlier than if you tell it was all perfect and brilliant

We will start the development of the next version in a few days, so stay tuned! This is also a call for people who are willing to help us here - so do not hesitate to ask me or Felix (Broozar) how you could contribute to the project.

Re: RUDI - the secret Christmas project [Re: HeelX] #199363
01/15/08 19:19
01/15/08 19:19
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Gave it a go and was inpressed by the graphics but hated, absolutly hated the game play, I couldnt even get out of the start pos!

Your panel work is good too but some eloquence needs to be injected into the speils, many words could be changed to suit general english nomenclature. As it is, you risk ridicule with the texts present format for game players who would mostly be young people perhaps, not good for any publication.

The initial panels snap to the next panel without any transition, perhaps fade them into the next panel as I was confused when I thought I was still reading the first panel but it was actually the next.

I have never been a fan of these types of gameplay so I'm a little biased here but overall, for what I was prepared to see, great work!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de