by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, degenerate_762), 1,309 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: ortucis] #250604
02/08/09 23:50
02/08/09 23:50
J
JustOneOldMan Offline
JustOneOldMan  Offline
J

Originally Posted By: ortucis
Sure, if you are a pro-PRO programmer or have a team of one or are just suicidal or like fixing a broken software or like snobby fanbase or absolutely pathetic customer support or engine documentation that fanboys think is 'complete or better' but is absolutely useless or.. umm.. nevermind.

You know what? Everyone should experience GarageGames. Go ahead and buy it.

Have to agree. I've owned TGE for 4-5 years, TGEA since it came out in EA - own the Commercial license, TGB Pro Commercial since it came out in EA (as T2D). Bought Showtool, Torsion, and most of the other tools there.

I finally came to GS a year or so ago because of everything ortucis said, plus the constantly changing licensing issues. Torque3D looks to be okay, but at a stiff price (even upgrading from TGEA), and everything they've promised for Torque3D to justify the price increase are the same things they promised for TGEA and TGB Pro that we didn't see happen.

Read the EULA closely and see what you think. And check the forums for people who complain about the lack of documentation to see what the fanboy responses are. The original GarageGame founders even got out of there last year and have started a new company. That should say something...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: amy] #250629
02/09/09 07:23
02/09/09 07:23
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline OP
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline OP
Senior Expert

I often read something like that, also in the C4 forums. But I wonder how they manage to finish so much games with it. There must be something we miss here. Even professionals made games with Torque lately (Hinterland as an example).

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: Machinery_Frank] #250634
02/09/09 08:09
02/09/09 08:09
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
You have to be well rounded when it comes to game development, it takes more than one area to make a game and to make one the way you want takes time.

How much time do you have?

Thats why teams or groups of people make games to save time .....most definately not money thats for sure hahaha ;p

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: LordMoggy] #250636
02/09/09 08:16
02/09/09 08:16
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Professionals even made games with C++ from scratch lately. smile

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: amy] #250643
02/09/09 08:25
02/09/09 08:25
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
hehe the basis for all games and applications wink

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: amy] #250644
02/09/09 08:26
02/09/09 08:26
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: amy
Professionals even made games with C++ from scratch lately. smile

While this is somewhat funny you missed my point. Not only professionals are making games with this technology. The game Buccaneer sold at Steam was even made by 2 artists.

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: Machinery_Frank] #250660
02/09/09 09:09
02/09/09 09:09
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

I like how Torque fans post the truth.. oh well, here's a lie from the artists themselves..

Quote:
I'm sure most people that read this interview will simply not believe it, but Stickman Studios is actually just Harvey and myself (Simon). What makes it more unbelievable is both of us are artists and have never dabbled with programming, unless you count getting a Spectrum to display "My name is Simon" way back in 1985. Fortunately our years spent working in the industry prior to setting up on our own has provided us with a number of amazing coding contacts. Some of these guys have been utterly incredible and sacrificed evenings and weekends to help us out with much of the coding involved, and we simply could not have done it without them. All in all I think it's fair to say that we have managed to beg, borrow and steal (OK perhaps not steal) about 6 months worth of solid coding support across the length of the project. The overall development time, since conception, has been just over two and a half years. That said, Harvey and I have spent 15 months during that period doing freelance work for other game companies to keep the Stickman wheels rolling. So overall, Harvey and I spent about 18 months dedicated to Buccaneer full time in our studio, "Das Boot."

We have also been fortunate enough to be involved with some other amazing guys via the GarageGames community forums who have helped transform Buccaneer into a much more professional and polished product. Joel Steudler's awesome theme music, Paul Bergel's incredible vocal work and Aun Arinyasak's stunning AI routines have all contributed to ensure Buccaneer has exceeded all of our expectations.

Read more, and find out how they never had any experience with Torque. They just jumped into the awesome bandwagon called TGEA and VIOLA!.. the masterpiece was born..

BRB, purchasing TGEA and a few hundred 'Packs' from their store. Also, trying to build few contacts who can slave for me in my pursuit of infamy.. err.. fame, I meant fame..

Click to reveal.. (warning)
Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: ortucis] #250682
02/09/09 09:59
02/09/09 09:59
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

I did not see why this is a lie. Maybe I missed something.

I know about some problems and bad workflow, the lighting issues, DIF conversions and others in Torque myself.

But again, there are a lot of good games finished. I often wonder myself why they did chose Torque over other alternatives. Maybe it is the renderer, the option to release on Mac, the initial price, I dont know exactly.

We will see what happens with Instant Action and Torque 3D.

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: amy] #250685
02/09/09 10:15
02/09/09 10:15
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Looks nice so far...

Re: Torque - TGEA with new website and new infos [Re: Machinery_Frank] #250687
02/09/09 10:18
02/09/09 10:18
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
I did not see why this is a lie. Maybe I missed something.

You didn't. I however, missed the [/SARCASM] tag. Still, that quote pretty much proves that it is impossible to create a proper game on Torque without an army of pro programmers.

As for T3D, I am sure it will be great and a huge success (with the amount of hype GG generates, I'd be surprised if it isn't). Besides, I am not saying you cannot produce a game AT ALL with Torque. I was complaining about everything else that is wrong with that company.

Allow me to quote a post from that link on GG from David (Community Manager):
Quote:
What would you consider a good price for support tickets? Per incident, per hour, etc? Support is extremely expensive and it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on various support structures and costs. That would most likely be a topic of discussion on the forums, however, and not in this blog. But we would definitely like to hear what you would expect in terms of support and how much you would expect to pay for it. Those are extremely valuable discussions.

No offense but this is the same bullshit they have been feeding for years to the community. They actually expect community to come out with fixes, tutorials and addons for their engines while they spend money advertising/creating useless stuff like InstantAction while they have no money left to actually support the engine that makes them money in the first place.. wth?

They have ported it for Wii/Xbox, they have ported it for Mac, they have it for Windows.. and I have read from both sides (excluding Wii/Xbox since haven't seen anyone create anything for it) how the engine refuses to work properly (esp. on Mac, it's broken, Linux is just.. well, forget that).

So the spend money on porting it here and there, coming up with stuff like InstantAction, while they have no money left to actually provide a decent customer support? I also remember how they were happy that after the huge investment they got claiming how decent docs and customer support is right around the corner for all customers. Hilarious stuff, but they actually tried, half heartedly, to create an updated doc for TGE before it all went dead again and they just decided to make it better in T3D instead.

Oh and did I mention how the exporters for models in 3d apps were actually being updated by the users while they had old broken plugins listed for downloads in some god forsaken location you had to search around to find in the first place?

Anyways, I don't want to go into even more detail on the subject since I know it's all going to be useless. So whatever, enjoy the engine, have fun.

Click to reveal.. (warning)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de