by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (howardR), 1,065 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Engine of War #203848
04/24/08 14:45
04/24/08 14:45
4 Images
Canada, Toronto
thegamedesigner Offline OP
User
Engine of War

Engine of War is a mix of action and simulation. Fight zombies and design custom circuits in this brand new action/simulation game.

Customize your weapons, shields and sensors, right down to the wiring!!

Easy to learn, complex to master, combine parts to make teleporters that detect nearby enemies, homing missiles that follow the mouse, and shields that adapt to the enemy's weapons!

DOWNLOAD
SCREENSHOTS
FORUM TOPIC
WEBSITE

Thanks, and enjoy!
Last edited by thegamedesigner; 04/24/08 14:48.
16 Comments
Re: Engine of War [Re: Germanunkol] #204144
04/27/08 04:15
04/27/08 04:15
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
I still don't get the zombie part. I'd much rather shoot at other mechs, but that's just me.

i agree with this as well, of course i think it should only involve military forces rather than zombies or aliens...

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Engine of War [Re: Blade280891] #204490
04/29/08 15:38
04/29/08 15:38
Desert Zone
WolfCoder Offline
WolfCoder  Offline

Desert Zone
I'll give this a shot the next time I get a chance ^^ right off the bat I'll love the isometrics~ I hate over the shoulder and first person views in games usually unless it's like an FPS or something like Oblivion.

From your description and shots, I'm expecting this game to be tactical and deep instead of simple and straightforward. Hehe, I don't normally play the kinds of games many of my peers do, I see things differently so hopefully my different opinion will be useful.

When I'm through and through with the game I'll put a review in my log and link here.

EDIT:

Alright... Well the circuit system is what would make this game stand out. I liked it because you could make all sorts of weird mechs by combining the parts together.

The game just starts, there's no story to bog this kind of game down which is a plus. There's so many different items you can buy and put together in the shop, I've never seen a weapons and mech customization system quite like this before.

Unfortunately, I have three problems with the game. The AI on the enemies is pretty unintelligent and I think you should work on making the normal enemies do more than one thing. You should have some unique movements and actions for the enemies from the get-go.

The tutorial is really choppy, and it makes the game hard to pick up. Just because you don't like lengthly tutorials doesn't mean the player won't want one. I suggest having a longer tutorial that ramps, for example, you play one level with just the WASD and controls, and then the next level will show the player how to upgrade their movement and show them how much easier it is, and then so on, introducing each little aspect one at a time.

The third problem is that it the camera is so far up that all the models look like blobs. The effect of 3D isn't easily visible, I would describe it as some sort of extreme top view camera. You should put the camera down and at an angle so that you can see terrain, enemies, and the models in 3D yet it's still locked on X,Y like a real isometric camera.

I don't care that it's zombies I'm shooting, judging from that fact that the story is a little block of text hidden in the readme file, it won't matter what I'm shooting as long as I'm shooting stuff ^^

Overall, the choppy look of the menu GUI doesn't really matter that much, the gameplay is actually interesting despite those three things that hold it back. If you increase the uniqueness of the enemy's movements and fix the camera, the game would be much better.

Last edited by WolfCoder; 04/29/08 17:37.
Re: Engine of War [Re: WolfCoder] #205411
05/06/08 14:03
05/06/08 14:03
Canada, Toronto
User
thegamedesigner  Offline OP
User

Canada, Toronto
New download link:

DOWNLOAD

Last edited by thegamedesigner; 05/06/08 14:04.
Re: Engine of War [Re: thegamedesigner] #211609
06/17/08 13:53
06/17/08 13:53
Tachys Offline
Tachys  Offline

Just saw a banner ad for this on one of the webcomic sites I visit! keep it going!

Re: Engine of War [Re: thegamedesigner] #212621
06/23/08 13:30
06/23/08 13:30
Beneath the Surface
alpha12 Offline
alpha12  Offline

Beneath the Surface
Originally Posted By: thegamedesigner
Engine of War is a mix of action and simulation. Fight zombies and design custom circuits in this brand new action/simulation game.

Customize your weapons, shields and sensors, right down to the wiring!!

Easy to learn, complex to master, combine parts to make teleporters that detect nearby enemies, homing missiles that follow the mouse, and shields that adapt to the enemy's weapons!

DOWNLOAD
SCREENSHOTS
FORUM TOPIC
WEBSITE

Thanks, and enjoy!

so the free full version is only v0.99?is there any possible to get free v1.22?the links also dead

Re: Engine of War [Re: thegamedesigner] #216214
07/15/08 18:30
07/15/08 18:30
Canada, Toronto
User
thegamedesigner  Offline OP
User

Canada, Toronto
I got featured in the last AUM, AUM74. Check it out.

Also, the latest download link (as the version crawl up and the patches become included) can always be foundhere.

Yes, I have been placing ads on a bunch of webcomics, including UF, Shlock Merc, Girl Genius, Weregeek, and around a dozen more.

My games - www.spyeart.com
Re: Engine of War [Re: thegamedesigner] #216246
07/16/08 01:02
07/16/08 01:02
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
Ok here's a review of the demo from a consumer's perspective, the guy who may buy your game, so this is going to be far more unforgiving than from a designers perspective. Here goes...

You've really got a nice customization system going, but from what I've seen in the demo, the core gameplay has less depth then a lot of flash games I've played. Like Thing-Thing 4, it's got depth, a nice plot, tons of guns, sophisticated enemies and insane boss battles, tons of guns, zombies, and tons of gore. And not to mention perfectly balanced difficulty.

Right away I wasted 15 minutes of my hour trying to figure out how to link the wires, ridicules, the tutorial was terrible man.

I'm sorry to sound negative but seriously I could never ever justify putting 20 USD for this game or even installing it on my hard drive as there are games with more depth that I can play without installing anything.

Don't get me wrong, this game has tons of potential! The customization system is truly unique, you just need to explain it better. I don't mind the camera angle actually, you see enough of what's going on in my opinion.

I hate how levels are so bare and my only objective is to kill stuff. Give me something to protect! Have me destroy an elaborate base!

Dude seriously, this should have been in development longer and you really should have had more sophisticated objectives other than kill the monsters. You've really got a nice start here and overall a solid game, it's just shallow and once the killing gets old there's no replay value.

You've proven yourself to be a capable game developer, and I honestly think you can add far more depth to this given some time.

Honesty can come off harsh but that is not my intension. The last thing I'll ever be is overly negative and full of BS. I hope I was constructive enough for you. -FZ

Check out my site http://foxzero.net
My band's website
http://wolf-hybrid.net

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de