by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ayumi, AndrewAMD, TedMar), 1,016 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
The Inn - A Graphic Experiment - WIP #204587
04/30/08 04:25
04/30/08 04:25
8 Images
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
The Inn - A Graphic Experiment - WIP

Introduction
I wanna show you all the latest project Update of "The Inn - A Graphic Experiment" created by the well known Slin (programing; creative consulting) and myself (3D design & art direction).

Progress is a bit slow because of the very time consuming client work I had (and still have) to do in the last and still coming months. But things are advancing further - step by step.

The Meaning of all this
I have to point out, that we do not intend to make a whole game out of this. It's just (as we call it) a "graphic experiment"; researching how far the graphics of a small level can be pushed with 3dgs. It will be "playable" in the end, and we even think of bringing a small quest into this level so the player is'nt just forced to run around through this level and looking at the graphics, but rather "play" this small quest to make things more interessting; complete with interface, a very small inventory; a story around it to define the world and some Characters to interact with. All this might be wishful thinking because it's a very intense and complex work (as the most of you surely know ;\) ) and takes a long time to establish, but we try our best to achieve this. \:\)
Actually this thing could be extended to a whole game... but with just two people; without budget just in their sparetime working on it, this would be just impossible for us to do so.

Specs
This Level will be composed out of over 124 custom made objects (36 so far done); with textures, normal bump maps, specular maps and (at a later time) even with relief mapping and a number of dynamic lights with dynamic shadows (shadow mapped - dunno - this is Slin's sphere of work ;\) ); distributed in at least two seperated Levels (which composes "The Inn"). Slin even implemented a physics sim to give the level a feel of reality (and it works fine - very cool thing that is \:\) ). The Texture sizes spans from 256 to 1024 pixels (normals and speculars vary, which depends on the needs of the given object) and we are going to try keeping the fps above 40 to 60.

Well, this quiet sums it up I think - I hope you like our little Graphic Experiment \:\)

Greetings
Tristan

EDIT: New Screenshots have been added (friday, 2nd of may 2008)

Last edited by Tristan3D; 05/02/08 21:27.
23 Comments
Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Nems] #205310
05/05/08 19:42
05/05/08 19:42
Hessen, Germany
T
Tempelbauer Offline
Expert
Tempelbauer  Offline
Expert
T

Hessen, Germany
great pics!
lovely made room

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Tempelbauer] #205339
05/05/08 22:05
05/05/08 22:05
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
I have to point out, that we do not intend to make a whole game out of this.

Why not? I understand it's a 'graphical experiment' and I do respect that. Still I wonder why you do not want to make a game out of it. You've got great artists on your team and to be honest it obviously doesn't have to be a 40 hour RPG-game either.

Still, the screenshots are mighty impressive, keep up the good work. \:\)

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: PHeMoX] #205360
05/06/08 05:13
05/06/08 05:13
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany
salemlab: thanks \:\)

nalan: Actually it's not meant to be a "game", but we intend to release the level to the public 'when it's done' (as our friends from 3D Realms always stating ;\) ).

Tempelbauer: Thanks \:\)

PHeMoX: Thanks as well. \:\)
We do intend to put one tiny quest into this level and bringing up a Game pipeline which would be potentially extendable - but it took us months to get to this point what we now can see in those screenshots.

There are two people on this team: Slin and me \:\)

We simply don't have the time to make a multilevel game out of it (this relys especially to me, because I have a lot of "real" work to do as an artist to pay my bills ;\) ). And we are not quiet sure, if our graphical pipeline would fit into something bigger. Because we are bringing in all those tiny little but cool things like, reliefmapping, lightmapping, dynamic shadows, sometimes not so low poly models (e.g. for characters, which will have 5k up to 10k polys each... dunno, this is a matter of the number of things they will have and which I want to put into those characters), physics sim (already implemented but still a subject to change), a book/letter reading system, reflect/refract shading, a.s.o.

For example: Slin is working hard on the relief routine code to make it usable and really perfect for our needs - this takes time and a lot of testing which grayscale power would be best to sustain a good and convincible reliefshading. Checking out which grayscale power is best takes sometimes the whole day and will change everytime we alter the code (sometimes a bit of a frustrating work, but it have to be done).

another example: On my wishlist for the characters to interact with, is one big thing: If those characters are speaking, they should move their lips to the phonetic sounds of the spoken words... I do know well how to make a bone-rig-setup for facial/lipsync animation (have done this several times in 3ds max for professional work); I do know how to animate all this and bringing this into MED (and finally to WED and the running level), but... how does this work with the game code? Those questions will be answered on a later time and slin is the one who will research if it is possible for us or not.

Another point on my character-wishlist is a shading system which is known as "subsurface-scattering" in 3D graphics. No problem in 3ds max (through mental ray and the SSS Shader), but a big problem for our level. How to implement this? It could work with a realtime dynamic lightmapping which will add the lighting with the diffuse texture and an underlying subdermal map (orange/red/blue/purple colormap sampling) to fake the subsurface-scattering. A similiar technique was used to fake an SSS on the candles which we can see in the screenshots above (and it works well for the candles). But will it work for characters which would need more treatment regarding SSS Shading? The research for those questions to be answered will take a fair bit of time.

besides: I use very high resolution texture sizes, which are in the end real performance eaters... it's actually not common to use so many high-res textures on so many objects in realtime game levels (I have implemented mipmap levels up to 4 times per texture - so things are running acutally fast at the moment) - bringing this resolution down would mean to destroy the graphical appearance of the objects and the minimum quality they represent right now.

Slin and me are working on this level like this:
"Okay, we now have a cool normalmap shading; and specular shading, and selective ambient per model regarding the level ambient or declining it and soon a good lightmap shading - what next? Ah, yes... relief would be cool - can we do that?", and then we are going to check this; crawling through the level and try to bring this new feature into the level. Not a very straight forward way to do things... but it works \:\) ;\)

To sum things up: We will "proof" that a somehow small game level is playable with this kind of quality with 3ds-gs. Dreaming of a whole game would be more than we can do now.

But: you never know... maybe we gonna find a way to make a game out of it. But this Level (and the underground rent-room section) will be the only thing we gonna release... even with characters and a small quest to play, but it will only this one level at first (sorry).

\:\)

regards
Tristan

Last edited by Tristan3D; 05/06/08 05:31.
Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Tristan3D] #205367
05/06/08 07:23
05/06/08 07:23
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Tristan: I perfectly understand this "adventure" to experiment with all these features. You mentioned alot of upcoming tasks you have to tackle.

But there are even more. If you really want to have more than only one room then you need a good interior scene-management. The ABT scene-management of A7 will not be perfect for that (especially if you heavily use shaders). Maybe this will also take some additional programming time to "invent" some zones, portals and similar solutions.

I wish you all the best with this project.

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Machinery_Frank] #205370
05/06/08 07:53
05/06/08 07:53
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany

We thought about that a while ago and concluded that this underground rent-room level should be loaded seperately when you "enter/activate" the corresponding door.

Somekind of a workaround ;\)

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Tristan3D] #205391
05/06/08 11:45
05/06/08 11:45
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Ok, this is a good approach in this case. For a non-action game like an Adventure this will be sufficient.

By the way: I just wrote you a PM.

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Machinery_Frank] #205611
05/07/08 15:52
05/07/08 15:52
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
The ABT scene-management of A7 will not be perfect for that (especially if you heavily use shaders).

Especially if you heavily use shaders? By all means explain what you mean here, because shaders usually are a.) not visible when out of view (and should in that case not drain much or any performance) and b.) a lot of shaders are distance based as far as it involves large plains of water for example.

Quote:
We simply don't have the time to make a multilevel game out of it (this relys especially to me, because I have a lot of "real" work to do as an artist to pay my bills ;\) )

I totally understand. There's a huge potential in making something great out of this though.

Quote:
but it took us months to get to this point what we now can see in those screenshots.

To be honest, regardless of what kind of game you'll be making, this is something you'll have to live with when it comes to having a small team. ;\) I do totally see how this makes it all look like a huge task, which it of course is.

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: PHeMoX] #205624
05/07/08 16:52
05/07/08 16:52
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany
PHeMox: that's true... I can not count all those hours I already have invested in this private project. And besides all the concernes; all the struggles we got so far with this experiment...

... it's also fun to do. I don't know why exactly, but I love to do this Low Poly stuff for this Level. Maybe it's because I can see a final working model within the realtime enviroment in just a few hours (from concepting to the final result), which I don't have with my usual work as a 3d artist (it takes days, sometimes weeks to finish a project/Image/contract/whatever in traditional High Polygon 3D Graphics - which is sometimes realy annoying).

I am approaching this level graphicaly as I always do for my usual work (so I pretending if it were just another 3D Scene I have done so many times before - except that this level is not a multimilion polygon scene like my usal 3ds max scenes)... that's the reason why I put all those High-Res Textures into the models and asked slin for programing a lot of shader effects for our experiment: To keep things with a visual quality I am used to for many years in 3D Graphics (hard task and this would not have been possible 3 or 4 years ago). It "seems" to work so far ;\) \:\)

So actually I am really happy right now. \:\)

Yeah... I would love to make a whole game - but we have to check with this experiment first, if it's possible the way we are doing things or not (and if so: Which restrictions have to be followed to keep the quality at the given level).

We'll see if it works in the end (I hope so).

Last edited by Tristan3D; 05/07/08 16:56.
Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Tristan3D] #205631
05/07/08 17:28
05/07/08 17:28
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
 Originally Posted By: PHeMoX

Especially if you heavily use shaders? By all means explain what you mean here, because shaders usually are a.) not visible when out of view (and should in that case not drain much or any performance) and b.) a lot of shaders are distance based as far as it involves large plains of water for example.

PHeMoX, please stop this. At least within this thread. Frank is completely right in this case. You aren´t wrong as well, but all those things which speed shaders up, are far not comparable to not using shaders when looking at the speed.

Quote:

There's a huge potential in making something great out of this though.

That is something we think as well but for now even finishing this level is quite far away and thus a first, more relistic goal.

Re: The Inn - A Grpahic Experiment - WIP [Re: Slin] #205634
05/07/08 17:40
05/07/08 17:40
Germany
T
Tristan3D Offline OP
Tristan3D  Offline OP
T

Germany

Slin: Ya you're right... we are six months away from finfish this level I think (If we keep implementing models on a somehow constant period of time - but that's unlikely at the moment).

\:\)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de