by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 1,592 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Login&Account System? #211157
06/15/08 09:36
06/15/08 09:36
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for a long time, as I understand some of the old topics have been deleted, because I cannot find my previous post about such a system, so I'm making a new one.
All I need, is for someone to explain me how to create such a system, to be more specific - when should I create the invisible entity, so the server sends messages to only one client, when should I collect the Username&Password data, how should I send it? A basic step-by-step post, explaining this would be awesome smile
Right now, I have an MS Access Database (just for testing, because I don't want to install MySQL right now), with columns:
ID Username Password etc. The problem is, that I want the entities unique ID to be the same as the user's ID in the database, but I'm stuck on this and don't know a way to do this...

So, I have another question... Is there a way I can create the invisible entity and parse all the data (strings, variables, etc.) from the client to him, because that would mean, that the entities function would do all the checking, etc. and when the data should be sent from the server back to the client, I could just write send_string_to(MY,message_str);

I hope you understood what I'm after smile

"Things of the mind left untested by the senses are useless."
Re: Login&Account System? [Re: Leonardo] #211213
06/15/08 17:58
06/15/08 17:58
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
All I need, is for someone to explain me how to create such a system, [...]A basic step-by-step post, explaining this would be awesome

That would be nice, wouldn't it? laugh
Unfortunately that post would be miles long for this is a non trivial task you are asking, especially since you want to use MS Access when MySQL is more used and thus better supported by this community.

Your best bet is asking questions and us answering them. I don't think anyone is going to do a step-by-step for you... and if they do, god bless them!!!

Quote:
The problem is, that I want the entities unique ID to be the same as the user's ID in the database, but I'm stuck on this and don't know a way to do this...

Simply pull the entities unique ID from either it's handle or client number and use that in the database.

Quote:
Is there a way I can create the invisible entity and parse all the data (strings, variables, etc.) from the client to him

No. An entity only received skills to be used in it's actions. An entity does not recieve strings and thus can't parse them. Your idea however is sound if you take away the entity. With the new Client Number, you no longer need to create a separate, invisible entity to reference your client; the client receives a unique identifier the second it connects to the server. Thus all you have to do is send_string_to(client_number, message_str); and then have the parsing function in the STRING HANDLER, not the entity.

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: fastlane69] #211215
06/15/08 18:16
06/15/08 18:16
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
Hmm.... Would you explain the last part of your post, about the STRING HANDLER and send_string_to(client_number,string), a bit more clearly? smile I probably didn't understand it correctly...
how can you have a client_number as a parameter in the send_string_to function, when it should be an entity? I believe there is no other way to send data to a specific client, if he doesn't create an entity... of course you can send the data to all of the clients, and have them check if they are the right one, but that is just a terrible waste of bandwith :p

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: Leonardo] #211244
06/15/08 20:43
06/15/08 20:43
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Rather than explain these basic GS scripting concepts, why don't you look them up in the manual and THEN ask questions? wink

Look under "events" and "client_id"...

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: fastlane69] #211295
06/16/08 05:08
06/16/08 05:08
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
I'm not using A7 smile I tried the free Lite-C version, but I hate it, don't know why... and, of course, I need to learn Lite-C, because that is the only way I can use the client_id wink
Any more ideas? smile

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: Leonardo] #211486
06/16/08 21:49
06/16/08 21:49
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
Any more ideas?

With A6, you are left with what I said before about entities and strings. As well, there you have a very robust MySQL plugin thus I would mess with that if you want more support from people here (I've never heard of anyone using MS access for MP).

And BTW, since any MP effort is a months long, if not years long, project, it is not wise to learn on the un-supported A6. Best switch up to A7 where you can still do A6-like networking, but at least get support from Conitec and us as well as easy access to lite-c.

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: fastlane69] #211518
06/17/08 04:34
06/17/08 04:34
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline
Serious User

New York
fastlane69 is right. I spent months doing something with A6. When A7 came out, alot of the stuff I had wasted my time doing was being already done for me. But hey, everyone is different. You might be a C guru. It's the age old battle: time vs money. A7 is much better for MP.

With A6 I did what your doing... create an entity on the client side, and simply sent information to that entity always using a string (personally I think it's not to bad for some of the simply things you might do early on, but it's not very effective for many other things you might wanna do later). GL

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Re: Login&Account System? [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #211607
06/17/08 13:51
06/17/08 13:51
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
I'm grown to the sweet ol' A6... laugh
Well, at least now I have a working account system.. I created the unique ID client-side (by using player_name, which is always unique, and then clipping 6 characters to form a number). And, of course I'm using an entity.
Speaking about MySQL, you should read posts more carefully....
Quote:
Right now, I have an MS Access Database (just for testing, because I don't want to install MySQL right now)

That means that I'm just testing some of the parts using Access... of course I'm going to use MySQL laugh

Re: Login&Account System? [Re: Leonardo] #211642
06/17/08 16:27
06/17/08 16:27
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
you should read posts more carefully....

Or maybe I shouldn't read them at all... sleep

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de