by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,266 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project #215670
07/12/08 18:59
07/12/08 18:59
Québec
Marky Mark Offline OP
User
Marky Mark  Offline OP
User

Québec
Hello everyone

Maybe some of you remember my tornado/storm chasing game project... Well after more than 6 months (some personnal problems took me out of the project) I decided to start the project again.

I tried many many many possibilities to make it realistic. I wanted my environment to be creating storms by itself depending on the atmospheric situation in the map, using variables such as CAPE (convective available potential energy) and LI (Lift Index), used by storm chasers in storm prediction.

But, I encountered a problem. I can't program a life-like atmosphere, it is impossible. Even the scientists aren't able to calculate everything in our atmosphere, so I decided to try another way, and this is why I would need your help to figure out how I could do this.

My plan is to use real situations that happened (I have a huge bank of maps for specific US stormy days so it's not a problem). I would create some charts on my world's map that would look like one of this US stormy day, and the player would look at those charts to decide where to go on the map.

That would mean the place where the storms would spawn would be known before it happens (in the engine). Then, no need to create a complex environment system.

But what about the storms? I want my storms to be entities or group of entities all reacting together (in a storm there is many specific parts, some are rolling, some are just fluffy clouds and some are rotating) and all those parts are moving together as a group; the storm.

So if I decide that in my day 1, the storms will spawn at 3pm, I want them to progressivly appear, and then react to what's in the local environment. here's an illustration...

(here you can see the parts of the storms, top view)

(top view of the storm group with movement arrow, and some color zones : the local environnment features)

The blue color zone (invisible in game indeed) would be killing or weakening the storm, the yellow color would make it bigger with more rain and lightning, and the red one would add rotation. At a certain level of rotation (i.e: the rotation variable of the storm is more than 70), create a funnel that starts to move down to the ground.

For the visual/3d part, I already got a lot of it, such as clouds, lightnings, rain, and tornado. So I need help making my Intelligent Storm System

I'm posting here to get some help, i'm not a pro at all, so if anyone is interested in helping for the ISS project, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I'm still using A6... :S

Last edited by Marky Mark; 07/12/08 19:00.

Yeah! IE sucks, use Mozilla...
Marc Rémillard.
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Marky Mark] #216810
07/18/08 21:38
07/18/08 21:38
Québec
Marky Mark Offline OP
User
Marky Mark  Offline OP
User

Québec
hmm okay... thanks!

Marc Rémillard.
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Marky Mark] #216868
07/19/08 11:37
07/19/08 11:37
Steev Offline
Steev  Offline

Sorry, but I don´t understand what do you want.

If I understand well, you want to know, how to implement a dynamic storm-system by using different zones in your map, that change the behaviour of your storm?

best regards
steev

---
programming is a livestyle
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Steev] #216874
07/19/08 12:42
07/19/08 12:42
Baden Württemberg, Germany
Espér Offline
Expert
Espér  Offline
Expert

Baden Württemberg, Germany
i think he want´s to create a tornado ^^

With all 3 Tornado-wall-types ( low wind, blowing big wind and center storm )..

Selling my Acknex Engine Editions (A7 Com & A8 Pro):
>> click here if you are interested <<
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Espér] #216895
07/19/08 16:26
07/19/08 16:26
Québec
Marky Mark Offline OP
User
Marky Mark  Offline OP
User

Québec
No i don't want to create a tornado, I already created it. I want to create a system that will make my storm change in relation with some zones in the map, but my storm is a group of entities and they have to act together.

Marc Rémillard.
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Marky Mark] #217133
07/21/08 14:33
07/21/08 14:33
Steev Offline
Steev  Offline

So you want to add different behaviours to your storm, depending on the different zones?

But I don´t understand your problem! If you test on every cloud etc. the position and change for this cloud the behaviour.

Or what do you mean with "but my storm is a group of entities and they have to act together"?

---
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Steev] #217202
07/21/08 22:08
07/21/08 22:08
Québec
Marky Mark Offline OP
User
Marky Mark  Offline OP
User

Québec
Well a storm contains different parts doing different things in the whole group, thats why I want those parts to be entities grouped together as a main group..

Sorry for my bad english.

What I need is some ideas on how to put my idea in my project... how to make those zones, and how to make those storm's parts

Marc Rémillard.
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Marky Mark] #217244
07/22/08 08:08
07/22/08 08:08
Steev Offline
Steev  Offline

You ought to create different actions for each zone and refer them to a entity placed in WED or per ent_create.

Each action defines a zone, based on the entity-position. I would create some parameters to define the width and the height of a zone. Additional I would create some global variables, that save each zone you refer in WED.

I think you´ve create for each cloud an action. So you only have to add a request in your cloud-action. This request should compare the cloud-position for beeing in one of your zones. If it is so, you could change the behaviour of your cloud, maybee the speed or the rotation or the color or something else.

I hope I could help you a bit...

best regards
steev

---
Re: Intelligent Storm System (ISS) project [Re: Steev] #217424
07/23/08 02:10
07/23/08 02:10
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

C++ plugin .dll

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de