by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 959 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: PHeMoX] #224862
09/01/08 17:27
09/01/08 17:27
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
one of my issues is that lately i find my self liking a game enough to pay more than $10 for it less and less

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: MrGuest] #224865
09/01/08 17:57
09/01/08 17:57
Neurosys Offline
Neurosys  Offline

I'll buy a game if its content pipeline err gameplay or whatever you would call it requires a network subscription (and the requirement is valid and not just padding the bill) such as mmo's, metaverses, and steam games where you must be valid to participate in the community AND the community is worth a true desire to participate in (cs:s, quakewars,auidosurf,etc..) if its a single player game... forget it.. no need to buy it by my mind. The single player market is pretty dead anyway I mean, when was the last 20 hour+ adventure game you finished? I think mine was Oblivion, and I bought that cuz it was fantastic for a 1player game and the whole time i just wished i could lan up with my buddies.

So you see, I will support 1player games, but Im not likely to do so with crap like "murder at the abbey" hitting the shelves. In contrast, I have preorders on both spore and the sims 3. I have also, in the past, dumped more $$ into secondlife than I care to admit.

Honestly,
Neurosys

See more code and crap @ www.neuroticnetworks.com
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: NITRO777] #224868
09/01/08 18:00
09/01/08 18:00
Neurosys Offline
Neurosys  Offline

Originally Posted By: TriNitroToluene
If criminals think they will get away with stealing they are just fooling themselves. I have lived long enough to realize that consequences have a way of catching up with everybody. You can trust old uncle Nitro on that one. wink wink

Uncle nitro is obviously not aware of the p2p situation as it exists in the world today.

See more code and crap @ www.neuroticnetworks.com
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Neurosys] #224887
09/01/08 20:22
09/01/08 20:22
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

I think Nitro is talking about Karma or something. smile

Copyright Infringement != Theft. I canīt understand why anyone would compare it to shoplifting. It would only be the same if the shelf magically filled itself again with copies of the taken objects. This wonīt happen until there are replicators like in Star Trek. smile

I agree with Indiglow. The old idea of selling copies of bytes will work less and less and people will have to think of new business models.

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: amy] #224890
09/01/08 20:26
09/01/08 20:26
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:
I think Nitro is talking about Karma or something.
Yeah thats what I mean. Things we do wrong have a way of coming back and kicking us. Not a very scientific opinion, I admit...but I believe it and have seen it grin Thanks for the help clarifying amy!

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: NITRO777] #224899
09/01/08 20:49
09/01/08 20:49
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
Quote:
so it's about time software companies moved stepped up to the plate.

What I mean't by this was better put by Amy.

Quote:

The old idea of selling copies of bytes will work less and less and people will have to think of new business models.

I would not like to see advertising in games becoming the main income for games development teams, any more than the next man. But then I also hate spam mail and pop-up advertising. Realistically this is a likely business model to see in the future, although I am sure there will be others.

The current MMO trend is a good reflection of the industry reaction, after all paying a smaller repeat fee to be a member, where your data is stored on their servers, stops copyright being a major issue. No account? can't play!

As games move more and more online, the ability to pirate software will be come something of a mute point.

Still those that can't hit the market with a strong and possibly unique MMO ip, may find it harder to get a real ROI for their product.

Very interesting times we live in

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: indiGLOW] #225035
09/02/08 17:07
09/02/08 17:07
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
There are new business models as you can see in the world around you:
  • online-activation
  • online gaming
  • launching new titles first on console platforms
  • gaming clubs via browser

The problem for the industry is: retail prices kept constant while production costs are rising more and more. The usual customer wants to have highest quality, wants a new block buster but don't want to pay more for that, no, they even want to get it for free.

Maybe sometimes you get tons of advertising in games in the future, like the breaks in television. Maybe you get free games with in-game advertising or you have to watch a trailer at every start. I find all this very bothering and this is the reason why I don't watch movies at television. But the majority does.

The market will decide, paying customers will steer, pirates can only destroy.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Machinery_Frank] #225115
09/02/08 21:05
09/02/08 21:05
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
or ingame advertising, which i wouldnt mind playing a racing game, and seeing a mcdonalds at the next exit billboard on the side of the road, if anything, that just makes the game more real.

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: lostclimate] #228869
09/23/08 03:05
09/23/08 03:05
L
log2 Offline
log2  Offline
L

I agree with that, also think of it this way, if a game like SOCOM, now can be bought for 15 bucks... but when it came out was sold for 59 bucks... why couldn't it have come out at 20 bucks? why raise the price soo much, the only thing I can think of, is to pay off the dev team, but even then, you don't really need to do that right away, plus if a game comes out at a lower price, more people will buy it.

Also there already is advertising in games, think of at the very start of games, sometimes it shows another company, or even they're company, also don't forget about the advertising on a developers web site, that makes big bucks

Another thing, it's really not hard, or expensive (for a big company) to buy a couple dedicated servers that only hold valid serial numbers, and once the serial is used up, it can't be used again, make a person create cridentials, so they have to log in to use things, not hard to do at all, it may be a little more annoying for honest people, but it's something that must be done

Also copying (notice I did use the word "stealing") is not illegal in EVERY country, just because it is in the states, or the UK, doesn't mean it is in Switzerland, or Canada (Although it is on the way to becoming illegal here) In Canada, the law currently states that you are allowed to download any content you want, as long as you are not uploading content (sharing content) and hence ISPs in Canada have started to limit upload speeds (And download speeds for another matter) but I can safely download a movie and not be stealing that movie.. Although I do agree it is dishonest, because people did work to make it, and it's the same with games, and songs

I also know for a fact that it's not illegal to download, or upload stuff in other countries around the world

Pirating and downloading are two different things, some people here seem to thing that pirating is downloading and playing the game... that is very incorrect, pirating is downloading, burning, and selling a game or movie, or songs, that is illegal, and the reason people do it, is because other people in the world who are not internet, or computer savvy don't know how to download movies, or games, so they go for the cheaper price, and voila, pirating

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: bomber] #238341
11/26/08 19:26
11/26/08 19:26
V
vertex Offline
vertex  Offline
V

I think that you have to look at the forces of piracy as the water pressure behind a large damn. If there is a hole in the damn, the water will pour through. You can get into the physics of it-- the why-- but it doesn't change the fact that it will pour out. It is a problem by design, not intent. Folks intend on being good, and software makers intend on providing good services for a fee, but nonetheless people poke holes in "digital security" any way they can, and anything that can be done to mitigate or stop it helps to ensure that good folks support software makers with $.

Reducing the barriers to purchasing and creating feasible pricing structures helps. That is if it is simply less trouble for folks to purchase something, then they will go that route more often than not.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de