by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, howardR), 1,001 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: Germanunkol] #230431
10/05/08 14:19
10/05/08 14:19
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
When I get my new PC setup properly I will revisit this model. Thanks for the nice words and comments.

I am starting to think about how to set the model up for use in game, especially for the 3rd person representation of actual players. I am unsure if I should be using GS bones or mesh animations. Ultimatly the only way to achieve any kind of IK would be through GS bones, but the lengthy time to rig and animate each character is a definate downside.

Any suggestions or experienced ideas on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking that a combination of mesh animations and GS bone rigging would be the best, but can bone animations be stored externally?

Thanks in advance for any help smile

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #230457
10/05/08 16:35
10/05/08 16:35
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
it is difficult to tell what you should do, and the decision all comes down to you. most of the time rigging is much quicker in the long run either way. doesnt mean you have to export the rig, but whatever native modeling program your using should be able to bake rigging somehow (hopefully) the question about whether to use GS bones is this, do you want to go for ease (vertex animation) or complexity w/extra power (bones).

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: lostclimate] #230640
10/07/08 10:35
10/07/08 10:35
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
do you want to go for ease (vertex animation) or complexity w/extra power (bones).

Thats exactly the point lostclimate smile

To be at all acceptable / competative with current game trends we will need to support some core features such as rag-doll and realtime IK. But due to the way GS can mix vertex and bone anims (I believe), it is not a choice of A or B, instead a blend of the two.

My concern is workflow. While producing a single game model prototype is acceptably a slower more time consuming process, once the prototype is signed off we will need an effecient pipeline.

Our native modeling environment is 3DsMax, which we have many years of experience using, but with no clear or workable pipeline to get bones from max into GS, some development, i.e game-bone rigging, is considerably time consuming.

I know that the decisions we make here with the prototype can have considerable impact when production is ramped up.

So if bones and mesh anims can be combined, especially when using 3DsMax, what would be the best workflow? Are there ways to duplicate the bone rigs in MED?

How does this affect the models topology, do you have any advice in this respect? Much appreciated smile

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #230741
10/08/08 07:41
10/08/08 07:41
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: indiGLOW
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
do you want to go for ease (vertex animation) or complexity w/extra power (bones).

Thats exactly the point lostclimate smile

To be at all acceptable / competative with current game trends we will need to support some core features such as rag-doll and realtime IK. But due to the way GS can mix vertex and bone anims (I believe), it is not a choice of A or B, instead a blend of the two.

My concern is workflow. While producing a single game model prototype is acceptably a slower more time consuming process, once the prototype is signed off we will need an effecient pipeline.

Our native modeling environment is 3DsMax, which we have many years of experience using, but with no clear or workable pipeline to get bones from max into GS, some development, i.e game-bone rigging, is considerably time consuming.

I know that the decisions we make here with the prototype can have considerable impact when production is ramped up.

So if bones and mesh anims can be combined, especially when using 3DsMax, what would be the best workflow? Are there ways to duplicate the bone rigs in MED?

How does this affect the models topology, do you have any advice in this respect? Much appreciated smile

export to FBX -> Import MED; Bones! laugh

it's really that easy, you just need A7 (or get the trial, models of A7 are A6 compatible :P).

regards,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: Helghast] #230748
10/08/08 09:30
10/08/08 09:30
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Sorry, are you saying that FBX import into MED (A7) allows for the import of Max Bones? Such as Biped rigs or custom bone rigs?

This would be most excellent news smile

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: Helghast] #230749
10/08/08 09:33
10/08/08 09:33
Michigan,USA
alienheretic Offline
alienheretic  Offline

Michigan,USA
for those of you reading this thread
just in case no one has found this out yet
if you have multiple models in max each with there own
skin mod for example lets say i have a character and his clothes as seperate meshes both rigged to same body bones
export to fbx and import to med does not work!
you will only import 1 skined mesh and other mesh will not be skined (why this is i dont know however)
there is a fix

at http://www.unwrap3d.com
in the downloads section
there are plugins for max for u3d file format
install those plugins and export your model to u3d
then in unwrap (unwrap3d exports bones as meshes also as well as bones)
you select the model by selecting the materials
then select invert and click edit/delete
this removes the bone meshes
then export that to fbx and then it will import to med correctly
i have done this multiple times without any issues
if someone knows a better way please post it!
otherwise you can email me if you need help
or if i didnt explain something corectly
alienheretic@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de