by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What makes a good design document? #237481
11/20/08 10:13
11/20/08 10:13
Blade280891 Offline OP
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline OP
Serious User

This is a continuation of the discussion from my thread "Harry Potter World - Design Document".

What really makes a good design document?
Just writing down ideas as they come or planning every detail out from the beginning?

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: What makes a good design document? [Re: Blade280891] #237488
11/20/08 10:44
11/20/08 10:44

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

I think a good design document have to define ALL important parts of a project and gives the developers as much free creative space as possible.

How detailed a design document have to be depends on "ALL important parts".
This could be just the result of the application or every little step in the applications process.

Re: What makes a good design document? [Re: ] #237560
11/20/08 17:48
11/20/08 17:48
Tachys Offline
Tachys  Offline

I know in the other thread I said it was there to get your vision across to others, but I wasn't completely correct on that point...

It is also there to help keep you focused on what you envisioned the end product to be. In my mind, it is kind of a reverse sculpting... you start with the central idea, and add a little bit here, a little bit there, until the end looks like what you had in mind from the start.

You don't have to wait to develop the game until you've completed the document, but in it's way, it is like having the directions to your destination before you turn the key in your car. Yeah, if you know the general direction you need to go, you will eventually get there, but it may take you twice, three or ten times the amount of time it would have taken you if you had planned the route in advance.

This does not mean that if you plan, there won't be roadblocks along the way, but you'll be better prepared to deal with them and able to get back on track sooner if you had the plan in the first place.

Re: What makes a good design document? [Re: Tachys] #237814
11/22/08 15:50
11/22/08 15:50
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Not sure if this thread should reside in Morbius, but let's give it a bump.
My last quote in the Harry Potter Thread:

Originally Posted By: Firoball
Originally Posted By: ShoreVietam
Well of course you gotta know what you actually want to do before you start doing just something.

"Start with" was more or less ment for the point where you know what you want and you are in front of the decission of creating levels first and look how you can bring them to life or you start with simpel test levels to create your functionallity and then just replace the environment when it works.

I think the second one is better because the environment can be replaced more easily.

Of course I had a quite specific vision in my mind when I started creating Dragonrise.
I had a basic storyline and my main characters and the important points of the story where those characters meet and what results from those situations.
On the other hand I was quite sure what kind of game system I want to have (well this slightly changed after 2 years, for better without having too much to change).

So based on this (storyline, characters and game system) I started making those technical thoughts I described above.

I had a certain idea which suddenly came to my mind... over night so to say.
After thining more about it, I made a list of levels and features, without technical details.
Later I figured out the battle system in fact does not work out as great as expected. I had to change the controls, the speed of the game, the camera.
It worked better now, but still not good enough. Changed everything again, added new features I didn't think of before hoping making the gampelay better.
The whole menu system was redone at least 3 times graphic wise. The problem was I had soemthign cool in mind and it was great, but regardless what I tried, I was not able to recreate it completely.

My luck is I that I did the final level details after everything else was finsihed. I had a set of 4 levels with different features I used for testing. The longer I worked on it, the more I realized that I shoudl wait with graphics, as it will all look old if I need so long for coding wink

At the end I got more as I expected, but still - there are better ways to do.
Probably the best thing was experiencing how to NOT do things. Now I know better.

aybe someone can move this discussion to a separate thread? I think it's very interesting.

Re: What makes a good design document? [Re: FBL] #237829
11/22/08 19:09
11/22/08 19:09
Blade280891 Offline OP
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline OP
Serious User

Quote:
Not sure if this thread should reside in Morbius, but let's give it a bump.

Yeah i wasn't sure where i should put it so i put it in here laugh
Btw happy b-day

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: What makes a good design document? [Re: Blade280891] #237894
11/23/08 09:59
11/23/08 09:59
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
First: I think this thread should be moved to "Gameplay & Game Design" (maybe?)

Next:
What makes a good design document?
Well I think it depends on what you aim for.
When you want to do a rather big and complex game with a team you need a really good design document explaining every detail of the game. (look & feel, gameplay/game mechanics, characters, story, locations, mission and so on)
You would have to write it 100% detailed so that everyone reading it would exactly know how this will look like.

But that is maybe not so important for a small game, which you are creating on your own.
Then you may put your attention more on planned features, etc.
It would be more of a guide and to-do-list for you (the only developer) and some help to stay focused on what you planned.
However you should always describe what the game is about etc. to get back to it more easily when you had to put it on ice for some time (for whatever reason).

Just my two cents

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de