Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (alibaba, vicknick), 1,492 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: heinekenbottle] #246242
01/14/09 11:00
01/14/09 11:00
Switzerland
Mr Wurm Offline
Mr Wurm  Offline

Switzerland
I believe in god because i recognize the limits in logical thinking and science. Because there are always limits to our understanding. In my personal experience, few real modern European protestants will seriously dispute evolution. As for the beginning of the universe, even if it began with a big bang, you get the problem that *something* will/must have caused the big bang (or at least provided the constraints). Maybe, someday we will go one level further up and have a scientific explanation for what caused it, but then you go back one further layer and you will again be in unknown territory. At the very end of that infinite chain, is where I see god.
Furthermore, have no respect of the cognitive abilities of people who go by the book, line for line, phrase for phrase, unquestioning and uncritical. A book written by mere humans will have the limits of humans. Don't even get me started on organized religion...
I respect Jesus, not as the son of god, but as a great man with good ideas, courage and overwhelming love of humanity. I respect Jesus, as I respect many other great men of whatever ilk.
Finally, I believe that religion is one of the greatest metaphysical concepts/invention of mankind. Of course, evil things have been done in the name of religion, but it would be very small minded to separate many of these from the immediate realities (->inquisition/radical Islamic fundamentalists, crusades, whatnot) which are at work shaping the nature of these events or causes. Without religion, people intent on causing harm would merely find other rallying points. I believe religion is truly impressive in the way that it can unleash unexpected energy and hidden potential in people, which are, I seriously believe more often than not used for good.

Now some people love reading the bible with a marker and finding things which are not technically possible. Thats silly, in fact those people are putting themselves on the same level as the fundamentalists. Others like paradoxes along the lines of "can god create a stone so heavy he can't lift himself." I like paradoxes, they are fun. Hell, I've even challenged fundamental Christians with the above paradox crazy , simply to get them thinking. But ultimately, I admit that they are completely besides the point. The very concept of god defies logic, otherwise, it wouldn't be god.

So I believe... but what YOU do, is up to you.

PS: While these discussions here on this topic are always very similar, I haven't partaken in one for a long time.

- Mr Wurm

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Mr Wurm] #246246
01/14/09 11:14
01/14/09 11:14
sebcrea Offline
sebcrea  Offline

All of the arguments for a god and believe in supernatural have been pretty much ripped apart in this thread about intelligent design.

Thread

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Mr Wurm] #246297
01/14/09 15:00
01/14/09 15:00
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline OP
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline OP
Serious User

New York
Quote:
Finally, I believe that religion is one of the greatest metaphysical concepts/invention of mankind.

@Mr Wurm
Very well said post, but the above line really made me want to respond. Alot of what you said I agree with and I also agree that religion is a good thing for those who believe in it. The way I see it if your religion makes you a better person who follows the law, keeps you working, makes you help your fellow man, and just helps you get by the harder times in life then religion is a great thing!

When I was younger around the age of 16-18 I believed in god. It made me very happy to believe that when I died it wasn't the end. In college I guess I just found it more logical that in fact there wasn't a god. It doesn't mean i'm right, it's just the way I see it. If I could go back to believing in god (regardless of the fact of if he truely exists or not) I would in a heart beat. Religion was very calming for me. It kind of sucks that I believe that when we die we rot in the ground.

LOL, wouldn't it suck for us non believers that when you die, whatever you believed in life happened for you? Lol, for believing in nothing I get to rot but maybe the believers get to party down with "B'T(|-|3$ and hoes" up in heaven. Oh well, I guess that would suck.

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #246347
01/14/09 18:50
01/14/09 18:50
Switzerland
Mr Wurm Offline
Mr Wurm  Offline

Switzerland
@sebcrea
That this is not a new topic, or one that has _never_ been discussed on this forum, is something I believe we're all aware of. laugh

@PrenceOfDarknes
Interesting thought. I kinda came in from the other end, where when I was between 16 and 18 I suppose, in retrospective, I was trying to be a little too clever as I ate up all the atheism stuff for facts at face value.
Now heaven and hell are concepts I personally have some trouble with. They sure have a very basic kind of moral function, rules without reward and punishment aren't particularly effective. And they prey on a natural fear of death. They seem a bit to much like simple psychological methods for controlling people than actual 'features' of reality. That said, would I act any differently if there was no heaven or hell or if there were? I sincerely doubt it.

I've had interesting discussions with radical Christians about the prerequisites for getting into heaven. For some, simply believing is a free pass (imagine the unjustness of a celestial heaven/hell distribution resulting from that). Others believe on an evaluation on death.
The idea that you get whatever you wish for sounds rather fun though smile *imaginespoorpeoplecondemnedtoeternalharpplaying*

Last edited by Mr Wurm; 01/14/09 18:54.

- Mr Wurm

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #246370
01/14/09 20:38
01/14/09 20:38
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
I agree with and I also agree that religion is a good thing for those who believe in it. The way I see it if your religion makes you a better person who follows the law, keeps you working, makes you help your fellow man, and just helps you get by the harder times in life then religion is a great thing!

Well, but truth is, you can achieve the same and even much more without religion as well. It just takes a certain mentality, a state of mind.

I know you've specifically said 'if your religion..., then it's a great thing.', but in reality one's religion has nothing to do with your actual actions. It doesn't even define your true moral values, as evidently even very religious people are capable of doing evil or 'bad' things.

Helping your fellow man out in reality is really nothing more but a simple choice.

Quote:
LOL, wouldn't it suck for us non believers that when you die, whatever you believed in life happened for you? Lol, for believing in nothing I get to rot but maybe the believers get to party down with "B'T(|-|3$ and hoes" up in heaven. Oh well, I guess that would suck.

At least whoever would be responsible for that must have a good sense of humor. I wouldn't really mind, as I often wonder if spending eternity in a blissful environment wouldn't just continuously devalue the meaning of true happiness anyway.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PHeMoX] #247069
01/18/09 20:42
01/18/09 20:42
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
I believe in God. Why? Good question. I've always felt Him there. I didn't always believe in organized religion - or rather I didn't have that same confirmation of its being real- but when I was about 28 or so I began to read the scriptures and I felt with crystal clarity the truthfulness of it.

I too believe in science and logic - I just don't believe one negates the other. I don't accept that truth can only be known through science and the application of logic as that term is commonly used. My goal is truth and if that truth comes from science, philosophy, or any other source I can accept it as part of that greater universal truth. Many things are true which science does not yet have proof of -in fact, I doubt that we know 1% of all there is to know in the universe- but that does not mean the other 99% doesn't exist.

I believe because I see and feel God in my life.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: bupaje] #247072
01/18/09 21:04
01/18/09 21:04
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:
I believe because I see and feel God in my life.

Just a question out of curiosity:

How do you know (or evaluate) that you you are feeling and seeing is indeed God? And, based on what you are seeing and feeling, how do you know which God it is? In other words, what objective standard are you using to compare your feelings to in order to validate that you are, indeed, experiencing God? This should be important for someone that is looking for truth, I would think.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Dan Silverman] #247092
01/19/09 01:22
01/19/09 01:22
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:
Just a question out of curiosity:

How do you know (or evaluate) that you you are feeling and seeing is indeed God? And, based on what you are seeing and feeling, how do you know which God it is? In other words, what objective standard are you using to compare your feelings to in order to validate that you are, indeed, experiencing God? This should be important for someone that is looking for truth, I would think.

Quote:
How do you know (or evaluate) that you you are feeling and seeing is indeed God?
I don't evaluate, I just know.

Quote:
And, based on what you are seeing and feeling, how do you know which God it is?
I don't try to figure out which God it is because I know that God is distinct and beyond comparison. There is no picking and choosing among Gods, there is only one unmistakable God and Creator. Once you have heard the voice of God, you no longer need to wonder, the search is effectively over.

Quote:
In other words, what objective standard are you using to compare your feelings to in order to validate that you are, indeed, experiencing God?
There is no standard by which you can compare the feelings one gets when he is aware of God. The feelings defy any standard, that is why He is God, God IS the standard, and He is the creator of feelings.

Quote:
This should be important for someone that is looking for truth, I would think.
Of course. If someone is looking for the truth, but someone who has found the truth doesn't bother himself with such stupidity.

For example, if I find a precious gem which I know is authentic, it would be stupid for me to spend any time or energy trying to determine if it was authentic.

On the opposite end of the spectrum if I find something which I know is a counterfeit, I would be foolish to question its authenticity. Why? Because I will not be fooled, I know a lie when I'm hearing one.

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: NITRO777] #247093
01/19/09 01:27
01/19/09 01:27
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

But how do you know if it is authentic (referring to the example you gave)

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Blade280891] #247095
01/19/09 01:28
01/19/09 01:28
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis