by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,135 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title #253913
02/27/09 17:59
02/27/09 17:59
aaaaa_genetica_montage.jpg
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title

Mostly just a quick video:

Higher-res Vimeo video: http://www.vimeo.com/3396893

Description: You dive off a skyscraper, relying on quick reflexes to negotiate the intricate tangle of girders that make up the City. You perform aerial stunts at terminal velocity before parachuting into the arms of your cheering fans. While other skydivers have it easy, you have to earn the adoration of the crowds by gliding within an eyelash of that glass super skyscraper at 70 miles per hour.
58 Comments
Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: Ichiro] #253919
02/27/09 18:22
02/27/09 18:22
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
radial blur needed. looks nice so far!

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: Ichiro] #253920
02/27/09 18:25
02/27/09 18:25
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
That looks great, might be because it reminds me to Mirrors Edge smile

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: PadMalcom] #253931
02/27/09 19:31
02/27/09 19:31
U.S.
GamerX Offline
GamerX  Offline

U.S.
Yea i like it keep up the good work!

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: GamerX] #253934
02/27/09 21:05
02/27/09 21:05

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

It's well designed and once again an interesting concept.
But currently I can't see the potential to keep (me) playing such a game for more than the demo.
What is the lang term challenge with this game?

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: ] #253935
02/27/09 21:15
02/27/09 21:15
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

kick ass style!

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: ] #253942
02/27/09 22:01
02/27/09 22:01
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted By: mercuryus
It's well designed and once again an interesting concept.
But currently I can't see the potential to keep (me) playing such a game for more than the demo.
What is the lang term challenge with this game?

it d keep me playing if there is a online highscore thing and some extremely near impossible pickups.(you know if you get it, you may get the highest score.(ofc if you do other patrs good too.))

and a ragdoll when you miss the hole and crawsh in to the blocks would look nice.

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: Quad] #253944
02/27/09 22:04
02/27/09 22:04
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

I find that highscore boards can only entertain for a few goes, what would be nice is new levels or characters released regulary, and maybe some hidden levels to unlock.

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: Blade280891] #253946
02/27/09 22:07
02/27/09 22:07
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
if it gets to steam, it will indeed keep being played with new levels&content. but nearly none of the indie games does that new content thing. (i am not counting paid expansions.)

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - Alpha Video for our 13th Title [Re: FBL] #253950
02/27/09 22:53
02/27/09 22:53
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
I just love the concept! It's an amazingly simple, yet intuitive thing - in games, everyone loves to try out limits, and jumping from high places as well as getting really fast is just the right thing! smile

So here's what I'd change - lots of things you may conveniently ignore ... or not smile

The sense of speed combined with the ground coming towards you in high velocity is, I believe, what makes this game. So I'd do everything to improve this feeling. A "woosh"-sound that might get louder the faster you are is a good start - and I think it's already implemented? laugh - but try other things too. Apart from blur, try shaking the camera as a function of speed: The faster you are, the more it shakes (see: Every racing movie in the history of time). Maybe you could also experiment with changing camera.arc. In order to highlight certain events - i.e. if someone races through one of those bonuses - freeze time for just a bit (<0.1s, a simple "freeze_mode=1" (C-Script?:D) might be enough for testing), and always increase the frequency of the sounds that play when you do that. Combine that with a combo-system: If I manage to get all those bonuses that you've aligned in a row, then multiply those with the amount of tiles I've hit in that row. Then use something like "snd_tune(snd,100+20*(place_in_combo),0)" (C-pseudoscript).
NEVER be afraid of using large happy text with colors. I once read from a tester at nintendo that they encourage gamedesigners to always provide visual feedback: Place confetti all over the screen, make a huge text appear in a nice animation, or something along those lines. Make it something that I want to see as often as possible. The supersmall text you use currently just doesn't have any impact behind it.

Don't forget audio feedback. Since this is so over the top, consider an announcer and audience. You know how in Super Smash Bros. everyone is all excited once the audience is calling their naem? Use this to your advantage and place lots of this audiofeedback. An audience going "ooooh" if you JUST miss a bonus or wild thunderous applause if you DO make it against the odds are amazingly satisfying! It's basically the only thing that worked in Audience Artist (and there are far too few of these events!). And maybe one could increase the pitch of the music (just a bit! Not too much) according to the speed the player goes.

Use large numbers: Never award points in increments less than 50. Consider this great quote from Jason Kapalka (PopCap co-founder and Chief Creative Officer - PopCap are the guys creating virtual crack which they call "Peggle" and "Bejeweled")

Quote:

JK - There are some tricks and shortcuts we’ve learned… like, always have sound cues of rising pitch associated with combos, and never award points in increments of less than 10. These are often non-intuitive little things that just work with gamer psychology for some reason. But beyond a few things like that, it becomes a black art rather than a science. Everyone has theories about what makes a game fun, or can revisit a successful game in retrospect and analyze it, but if it were really that simple to understand the elements of what makes a great game, everyone would be cranking them out like popcorn, and that just isn’t the case. It comes down to a lot of trial and error, abandoned prototypes, and trying different things until you find something that’s fun.

LINK

What I *don't* like about the game is the landing sequence. It seems to take the speed out of the game, just when it starts to get funny. Maybe there could always be a "safe" landingzone in which I could land with any speed, but its a lot harder to hit. Like in "Monkey Target", you might want to consider placing a giant "dartboard" on the ground: These are the multipliers for the score that the player has accumulated.

The HUD is, probably, still in progress, but I don't really think it's fitting. Plus, do you even use it? My eyes are probably always glued to the action on the screen, and checking the speed is just a nice little extra I don't care for. You could make it "more exciting" by not giving me the speed, but the threat: A text like "1230 metres remaining" in bright red could be a more exciting "timelimit", but might be difficult to implement with different slopes. Please also don't forget - if you stick with speed - to implement a way to switch between mph and km/h.
The diving stance is... just there? It doesn't really fit with the HUD in any way, but I guess it's just temporary.

So... I like it, I really do. I think, however, you could get a bit more out of it, without too much work. But then, what do I know, right? smile

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de