by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad, 7th_zorro), 923 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement #254043
02/28/09 18:03
02/28/09 18:03
N
Ness Offline OP
Ness  Offline OP
N

Hello,do you will include the famous "extrude" Function with shortkey function in WED? Because it would be nice if this function which is included in MED could be made in WED!

The second thing is:
During the moving in the 3d window in WED every model changes to a bounding box! That really annoys me because i cant set models then to TERRAINS or big smoothed blocks! It would be nice if you could click on a checkbox where you can choose the BBox function or not!
greetings Ness

Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement [Re: Ness] #254058
02/28/09 18:32
02/28/09 18:32
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
soon, you will be able place objects using a realtime 3d engine view. see forecast.

Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement [Re: Quad] #254068
02/28/09 21:01
02/28/09 21:01
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Ness,

You should do some research and learn the differences between CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) and polygons. They are completely different, function differently and, as a result, you work with them differently as well.

CSG is what WED uses to create environments. It is an old carry over from the days when BSP styled real-time 3D engines were what was popular. Most engines do not use BSP any longer and, as a result, polygons are used for level creation. But if you build a level inside of WED you will be using CSG because that is the type of program WED is. So learn the differences and you will begin to understand why EXTRUDE is not a native part of WED, but is a part of MED.

Now MED is NOT a CSG creation tool, but instead is a polygonal modeler. As such, EXTRUDE makes sense there. You can extrude a polygonal face. However, as was pointed out in your previous thread requesting CSG Subtract in MED, MED does not use CSG elements. Therefore, requesting CSG tools in MED would not work.

Now, I realize that this may seem like arguing semantics. What you want is the ability to do something like an extrude in WED. Fine. I can understand that. However, if you learn about CSG then you will better understand WED and why you don't need an extrude feature there.

Quote:
The second thing is:
During the moving in the 3d window in WED every model changes to a bounding box! That really annoys me because i cant set models then to TERRAINS or big smoothed blocks! It would be nice if you could click on a checkbox where you can choose the BBox function or not!

You can do this already. Go to File and the find Preferences. Once the Preferences dialog appears, click on the Advanced tab. In the second column, make sure Bound Box During Changes is not checked. Also make sure Display Entity Shape IS checked.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement [Re: Dan Silverman] #254077
02/28/09 22:14
02/28/09 22:14
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

However, since A7 now also renders meshes, there's no problem with concave blocks - so why no extrude feature after all?

Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement [Re: FBL] #254081
02/28/09 22:57
02/28/09 22:57
N
Ness Offline OP
Ness  Offline OP
N

well i have still problems with concave blocks!
I get an error with NEWEST WED Version about :
MAP DOESNT ALLOW Concave blocks!

Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improvement [Re: Ness] #254088
03/01/09 00:10
03/01/09 00:10
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:
However, since A7 now also renders meshes, there's no problem with concave blocks - so why no extrude feature after all?

Because WED does not build with meshes. It builds with CSG. They are completely different animals. What really needs to happen is WED and MED need to be ditched and a completely new editor that is completely based on meshes (polygons) needs to be created.

Quote:
well i have still problems with concave blocks!
I get an error with NEWEST WED Version about :
MAP DOESNT ALLOW Concave blocks!

That is because you build in WED using BSP correct CSG objects! Study and learn (like I have already said) if you want to understand how this all works. If you want concave blocks, then build your level geometry in a 3D program and import it into WED. WED only allows you to build, in the editor itself, using BSP correct CGS objects.

HyperGraph Studios
Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improve [Re: Dan Silverman] #254112
03/01/09 10:10
03/01/09 10:10
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

I switched to "create meshes" and was able to use concave blocks.

so it's "no" to both posts.

edit: I just tried to do that again. WED has no problem with concave blocks if turned on in map properties, but the map builder doesn't seem to like it anymore and delivers crippled blocks. I was sure this was working before, too sad frown

Last edited by Firoball; 03/01/09 10:21.
Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improve [Re: FBL] #254183
03/01/09 16:43
03/01/09 16:43
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Well concave blocks are certainly not the problem.

Always when you import a level, you get meshes with lots of doors and windows, they are 100% concave and do not make any problem.

Your problem probably is that your take a block and manipulate its vertices in a way that the result is no 3D object anymore. For instance, take a cube and move one of its vertices outwards. This creates an impossible object because surfaces are bent and then you get errors in the map.

This can not happen with meshes that consist of triangles, because they are always possible.

Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improve [Re: Spirit] #254187
03/01/09 16:56
03/01/09 16:56
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Then cant WED pop up a different message when that happens?

Instead of the old error message
"Bad manipulation. Map doesnt allow concave blocks. [Cancel][Ignore]"
how about we get a message like
"Bad manipulation. Convert Block to Mesh? [Cancel][Accept]"
That would be much more useful.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: "Extrude" Function in WED + Moving Camera in 3d mode improve [Re: EvilSOB] #254208
03/01/09 18:27
03/01/09 18:27
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:
Instead of the old error message
"Bad manipulation. Map doesnt allow concave blocks. [Cancel][Ignore]"
how about we get a message like
"Bad manipulation. Convert Block to Mesh? [Cancel][Accept]"
That would be much more useful.

Since WED does not convert CSG geometry in to meshes, then this error message would not work because WED could not give you the choice to do that. This is the nature of CSG ... a different animal than a mesh (polygonal, quadratic or otherwise).

Quote:

The original post was not about A7, but about A7's WED. He wanted an extrude function in WED, but that would belong in MED. Why? Because WED does not CREATE meshes, but instead creates CSG geometry.

Quote:
Well concave blocks are certainly not the problem.

Always when you import a level, you get meshes with lots of doors and windows, they are 100% concave and do not make any problem.

Folks, we are getting our terms mixed up here. An imported level containing MESHES is NOT the same thing as building a level in WED using WED's blocks, which are NOT meshes, but CSG geometry. They are different animals. Now that you can import polygonal meshes into WED then, yes, any sort of geometry works in WED, concave or otherwise. But this is not the case for BSP correct CSG elements such as those created Nativity within WED itself.

About the doors and windows:

If this was built OUTSIDE OF WED in a 3D modeling program (be it MED or some other 3D program like 3DS MAX) then you are talking about meshes and concave is fine. However, if you build the level inside of WED using its native BSP correct CSG blocks, then you cannot have concave geometry. However, that does not mean you cannot build a door. A hole in a wall (a door or a window) is NOT concave in the least. It can be built using a series of non-concave blocks.

A door, for example, can be built with three simple, non-concave blocks: one for each side and one for the top, leaving a "hole" where the open door would be. None of that is concave.

HyperGraph Studios
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de