by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
HELP would be appreciated.. #263568
04/30/09 14:11
04/30/09 14:11
D
DaveM Offline OP
DaveM  Offline OP
D

I've been using GS for a few weeks now,
and I've had nothing but problems (A7 Extra).
I'm in my second year of a hnd and were doing a game
development project. I've purchased the Extra version, and
so far all of my efforts have resulted in crashes and errors,
as well a huge compile times for relatively small areas, (even using the default settings). I'm trying to create a FPS in medium sized world, with sky above, some of it covered. Is there not a template I can use just to get a basic setup that will run smoothly, I honestly don't know what to do and time is running out for this project. I would be grateful if someone could give me some basic steps to help me create a world that I can 'fill in' with my own models and buildings etc. I've built maps before for Command and conquer quake, and other games but this software seems to be incredibly buggy...any help appreciated, thanks, DaveM

Re: HELP would be appreciated.. [Re: DaveM] #263574
04/30/09 14:54
04/30/09 14:54
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
The software isnt buggy, my opinion. But i think its not very powerfull. The framerate is very fast down, and nexus is very fast full ^^
I would say its not useable for a commercial-standart-fps. U have to use many tricks to make a working (large) game with good framerate.
But have a look what u pay for other 3d engines... ^^

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: HELP would be appreciated.. [Re: DaveM] #263577
04/30/09 15:05
04/30/09 15:05
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Do a quick "look through" of the tutorials for WED, MED, etc. That should give you a basic grasp of how WED works and how to incorporate static meshes into your 'world'.
I think the Extra edition does let you use the "templates"; this is probably what you are looking for if you want a "click-together" type world where you just select a pre-made action for a particular entity (example: Player control, ammo and health pick ups, simple doors and triggers, etc.). Look into them to see what they can do.

My first suggestion would be to take a VERY close look at your terrain. That can be one of the biggest slow-downs of compiling a level...all it takes is a few badly intersected polygons or some such and you're looking at hours and hours and hours to compile.

If you can give us more info, I'm sure the bright folks here can pin point your slowdowns and errors. smile

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: HELP would be appreciated.. [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #263581
04/30/09 15:22
04/30/09 15:22
D
DaveM Offline OP
DaveM  Offline OP
D

Thanks for your input. Yes it's supposed to include templates, but I have no idea where they are, if you mean the scripts, yes I've loaded the first person shooter script. Do you know of any good level templates that are available that I can fiddle about with as that seems like the easiest option as aligning the walls etc would then be greatly eliminated? thanks

Re: HELP would be appreciated.. [Re: DaveM] #263742
05/01/09 23:40
05/01/09 23:40
Southern Oceans
KiwiBoy Offline
KiwiBoy  Offline

Southern Oceans
HI, give me the specs and Ill build the level with a functional base script.
Just post em here i.e
level x 1
size - relative to content e.g warehouse, street, village etc.
WMB or model based

hope it helps.

Use the 'manual' Luke, the manual is your friend. 'Self reminder' smile

My WebPage

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de