by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,501 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #265136
05/10/09 15:56
05/10/09 15:56
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline OP
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Nope, it's not. Unless Apogee will continue development of DNF for the PC platform, it seems to have an entirely different focus. Consoles and mobile phones for crying out loud... :P

Cheers

No. I explain it again:

They developed 2d action games for a growing market, the first shareware games for pc. And now they make the same games for mobile platforms. It fits perfectly to their experience and their vision, it will be a similar gaming experience and they can use their knowledge and development experiences.

They made the Duke 2d games and now they make it again. It is perfectly the same focus, the same vision.

Other comapanies changed their focus from pc to consoles and mobiles as well and do not come up with a new name and a new company. No need.
Besides that it is was the decision of George and Scott. The world has to accept it wink

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265140
05/10/09 16:32
05/10/09 16:32
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline
Hitsch  Offline

Switzerland
I'm actually a bit surprised by the ingame footage.
It's far from showing a good game or giving away any story parts, but I think there are some good sections, and it does feel kind of familiar.

Until know I didn't think they could really make this work and bring Duke Nukem to modern graphics and gameplay, but it might have worked out.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Hitsch] #265147
05/10/09 18:24
05/10/09 18:24
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

I liked the video pretty much. I noticed some section which seem to be taken from the original Duke 3D and then revamped.

It's time to chew ass and kick bubblegum... oh wait.... sth seems to be wrong here.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265166
05/10/09 21:01
05/10/09 21:01
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Nope, it's not. Unless Apogee will continue development of DNF for the PC platform, it seems to have an entirely different focus. Consoles and mobile phones for crying out loud... :P

Cheers

No. I explain it again:

They developed 2d action games for a growing market, the first shareware games for pc. And now they make the same games for mobile platforms. It fits perfectly to their experience and their vision, it will be a similar gaming experience and they can use their knowledge and development experiences.

They made the Duke 2d games and now they make it again. It is perfectly the same focus, the same vision.

Other comapanies changed their focus from pc to consoles and mobiles as well and do not come up with a new name and a new company.

You couldn't have been more contradicting there. They actually did exactly that, change their focus from a PC market to consoles and mobile phones. That's a significant change for a company that has largely been known for their PC platform action games.

Making 2D games has never been a real focus point in that early period anyways. There practically were no 3D games! In fact, their main focus has always been platformer action games. And you are ignoring the fact that in the Duke Nukem Trilogy there will be Duke Nukem 3D as well.. which is actually part 3 in the series.

Just because they release some of their older games (some of which are actually 3DRealms titles), doesn't mean their focus is now 2D remakes.

Anyways, I am growing tired of this, you're just wrong and I'll leave it at that.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #265195
05/11/09 05:45
05/11/09 05:45
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Phemox, an absolute statement like "You are just wrong, I'll leave it at that" is not only ignorant but arrogant as well (the statement, not you as a person wink ) it is also an emotional exaggeration like women often do. The reason is:

If we are really honest and not such anti-guys then we would easily see, that the truth lies something in between, here are the facts:

pro (same company):
- same name
- same people behind it
- same duke platformer games
- they call it "resurrection"

contra:
- there was a break
- there is a transition

I have no problems with breaks. Transitions are a natural process. I already mentioned that many companies changed their focus to other platforms, most big publishers are releasing now on consoles without changing their names. It is not needed. There is no law to change your company name if you change your business focus.

Besides that you created a constructed personal and subjective logic. I think most of us tolerate and accept it, since it is your personal meaning.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265305
05/11/09 21:33
05/11/09 21:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Okey, I'll respond as it's actually interesting to some extent;

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
If we are really honest and not such anti-guys then we would easily see, that the truth lies something in between, here are the facts:

I am not going to nitpick about the 'facts' you've decided to post smile , but basically you've sort of said the same thing but interpreted it way differently.

It wasn't an attack to your view, but I just know 3DRealms and some of them who are now in Apogee explained their own words differently on the forums over there.

They chose the words 'resurrection' because of the fact that they would release the old Duke series again and use the old name Apogee. Not because they changed their market of choice and went on to create games for the mobile phone and console market. smile

Quote:
Besides that you created a constructed personal and subjective logic. I think most of us tolerate and accept it, since it is your personal meaning.

I respectfully wonder what you are talking about here? I made a rather specific comment. You seemed to speculate the heck out of a non-specific post on Apogee in your later reply that wasn't even about the company's history nor future. It's a bit strange to wave this away as being 'my opinion'. :p

I very much respect you, but I simply said I disagreed and later on explained why. Apparently you didn't follow or as you've said yourself weren't even open to my point of view.

Quote:
"You are just wrong, I'll leave it at that" is not only ignorant but arrogant as well

Yes and it was supposed to be exactly like that as a direct response to the arrogance in your previous comment. I didn't mean 'leave it at that' as in 'I'll go cry in a corner now' though. :P

Quote:
Transitions are a natural process.

However natural, it does imply a change.

Quote:
There is no law to change your company name if you change your business focus.

No, but you've just made a biased comment with that view in mind. Because a change of focus is exactly what Apogee did when they decided to go with 3DRealms as their new name back in the days and if mobile phones and (handheld)consoles is the new primary focus for the new Apogee they definitely did so again.

Also mind you that I never actually said they 'must' have changed their focus, I only said they said they would release games on different platforms now. We're talking about a company with quite a legacy when it comes to the PC market, so this seemed significant to me.

Anyways, it has been a fun discussion, but lets not argue about the argument for the sake of having the last word. It makes no sense.

By the way, there's a rumor going around the internet that Duke Nukem Forever will still be released. The optimists even think it might be released this summer as originally planned, as Take-2 apparently thinks it's worth investing in. Again, only a rumor, but who knows..

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #265321
05/12/09 00:15
05/12/09 00:15
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
seems you two enjoy the argument more than caring about the topic. although you can keep going because its fun to watch.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: lostclimate] #265335
05/12/09 05:52
05/12/09 05:52
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
seems you two enjoy the argument more than caring about the topic. although you can keep going because its fun to watch.

Thanks locstclimate, but I think everything has been said. There is no absolute truth and the facts are laid down.

To come back to DNF:
I also can imagine that it might survive. This is pure speculation. But if a company is dead then the creditors want their money back. And they might sell whatever can be sold to other parties. Maybe they sell the DNF license to any potent studio. Who knows. We will see.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265339
05/12/09 06:41
05/12/09 06:41
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

You've said before that evrything has been said smile

There's a lot of rumors going on currently.
The most interesting one is the one consisting of following facts:
- Microsoft recently released the original Duke on Xbox live
- E3 is going to start soon
- 3DR had a huge and certainly not inexpensive BBQ just a few weeks before this announcement

Rumors go that the death of 3D Realms is just a marketing hoax.
Microsoft has bought 3DR or at least obtained rights for DNF and is going to annoucne this on E3.
The huge BBQ looked more liek a release party than a goodbye.

DNF is now back in everyone's mind, that's an ideal start to release a product.

Now that would really be crazy, and I can't really believe it, but the idea is interesting smirk

This rumor was not my idea, I read it somewhere else.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: FBL] #265356
05/12/09 09:40
05/12/09 09:40
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Firoball:
I had this idea a few times as well. And the fact, that DNF should release very soon underlines this idea. But actually I could not imagine that they will go this far.

Maybe you (and your sources) are right and we get a really interesting surprise. It would be a really crazy marketing campaign and almost everybody will know about this game then.

But on the other hand, they released their staff. How can they fake this?

We will see and expect upcoming information with some optimism.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de