by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,244 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30
Re: Torque 3D [Re: Wicht] #268912
05/31/09 18:02
05/31/09 18:02
J
JustOneOldMan Offline
JustOneOldMan  Offline
J

Originally Posted By: Wicht
@JustOneOldMan:

Quote:

Your game can't be construed to be a simulator or virtual world (isn't that what a game is?), and you can't even make a starter or tutorial kit without extra charges.

Wrong. They changed the license. So now you can make and distribute also other types of realtime applications.

But you are not allowed to distribute their editors ( without to pay a extra fee ). Alternatively you can write and distribute your own editors. This is allowed.

If you click on the link I posted earlier, or just go to GarageGames and the Torque 3D page, then click on the license tab, you'll see that stated.

Section 3, paragraph g. It's very clear. You can make them, but you can't publish them or give them away without paying extra fees...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: Torque 3D [Re: JustOneOldMan] #268921
05/31/09 19:03
05/31/09 19:03
Aue, Sachsen, Germany
W
Wicht Offline
User
Wicht  Offline
User
W

Aue, Sachsen, Germany
@JustOneOldMan:

Brett Seyler ( GG Employee ) wrote this in a post.
When T3D is released they update the licence agreement.

Re: Torque 3D [Re: Wicht] #268927
05/31/09 20:22
05/31/09 20:22
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

We'll see smile
Perhaps like Gamecore , the price will do a big rise up laugh

I(m waiting to see if some people can pull out really new or cool things with it.
I don't need a clone of FarCry or Crysis !

Re: Torque 3D [Re: Wicht] #268944
05/31/09 21:44
05/31/09 21:44
J
JustOneOldMan Offline
JustOneOldMan  Offline
J

Originally Posted By: Wicht
@JustOneOldMan:

Brett Seyler ( GG Employee ) wrote this in a post.
When T3D is released they update the licence agreement.

It would be nice if that happened, Wicht, but I've heard all the promises before. And found out how easy it is for them to change things whenever they want. They can say something one time, and the next minor point upgrade they can change it completely. Then, if you want the updates you're stuck with the new license.

It's not worth $1,495 for me to take a chance on being burned for the 4th time. It would be kinda dumb on my part.

But, as I said, it would be good for their community if it happened. For now, the license is what it says...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: Torque 3D [Re: JustOneOldMan] #268954
06/01/09 01:35
06/01/09 01:35
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
You all have to be INSANE to be defending gamestudio. Yes , some of this things are possible with it , but have you all seen how complex proper implementations of this things are in gamestudio ? Usually you'll eventually get a developer dedicated to implementing ONE of this features properly and user friendly , and it'll take over a year , and usually never fully working (Sphere? , Intense Ai?).

Now , gamestudio supports shaders , sure , but implementing them is a PAIN. Just having some normal mapping with bloom will pain your life. Usually , you have to have a developer specifically for shaders , or be a shader guru yourself , to manage the shaders. It's garbage.

Shadows , the gamestudio shadow system is putrid , it's no good , it's of amateur level, useless junk.

Gamestudio lighting system , primitive pile of garbage , but in the other hand if you implement per pixel lighting it's decent.

Ingame editor, none-existant.

Cross plattform , only in our dreams.

Web deployment , again , in our dreams.

Support for console development , only in our wildest fantasies.

Case and point , is an indie able to create a next gen game with gamestudio , NO. You would need a full dedicated team working on all aspects of the engine to realize that , but if you manage to get funding for such , why in their right mind would buy gamestudio ? Obviously you'd buy a real commercial engine. Gamestudio is an INDIE engine , with it's professional edition costing $800. It's actually a very nice engine , but in this last 2 years MUCH BETTER engines have come up , and Unity 2.5 , and Torque3D are FAR FAR FAR superior to gamestudio , and both engines have console development versions , gamestudio has NOTHING on this engines , and if gamestudio doesn't step up it's game , I can't see it lasting another couple of years.

I used to think learning torque was too much of a pain , but now , it's the opposite , because learning torque will open the doors to being able to develop for pc , mac , xbox360 , wii , and even Iphone , I would have to be a mentally challenged person to think learning lite-C is a better investment of my time.

c

Re: Torque 3D [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #268972
06/01/09 06:05
06/01/09 06:05
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:
Now , gamestudio supports shaders , sure , but implementing them is a PAIN. Just having some normal mapping with bloom will pain your life.

Bull, it takes about 5 minutes to set that up.

Quote:
Shadows , the gamestudio shadow system is putrid , it's no good , it's of amateur level, useless junk.

No, you just don't know how to make dynamic shadow mapping, blame yourself not the engine, and maybe study shaders a little instead of expecting a one button, 1 style fits all setup.

Quote:
is an indie able to create a next gen game with gamestudio , NO. You would need a full dedicated team working on all aspects of the engine to realize that

That line is hilarious......... wow, so you dont need a full dedicated team to make a next gen game with torque. Actually I can do it myself, in my basement. They have this button in the file menu it says "Create next Gen game" and then it has a few radio buttons to select the console your publishing to laugh

Quote:
professional edition costing $800

Why is everyone comparing the pro version to these. pro doenst really add shit. It adds bsp, file packing, extra mp which is better 3rd party anyways, and a 6 month support ticket, if your comparing anything it should be comm to these engines with the addition of the mp plugin of your choosing. not to mention torque 3d will be almost twice the price of A7 pro and almost 8x as much as A7 comm.

Bottom line, again, use what suits your project best with the budget you have.

Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #268979
06/01/09 07:22
06/01/09 07:22
Aue, Sachsen, Germany
W
Wicht Offline
User
Wicht  Offline
User
W

Aue, Sachsen, Germany
@JustOneOldMan:

Yes, you are right. GG can change their licence with every update.
But who cares? Do you fear? I would do what i want.

GG can be glad when good games are made with torque.
I have only TGE... so i have this restriction. But i dont care about.

Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #268982
06/01/09 07:35
06/01/09 07:35
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
Bull, it takes about 5 minutes to set that up.
No, you just don't know how to make dynamic shadow mapping, blame yourself not the engine, and maybe study shaders a little instead of expecting a one button, 1 style fits all setup.

Really? Is it possible for a beginner? Just keep in mind that we are talking about a studio. A software with all tools included, not a Lite-C software construction kit.

And keep in mind that we are talking about games. I mean: try to setup these shaders plus shadow mapping for a real game if you want to compare with other engines. Try to apply shadows to a complete outdoor scene, not a house and 2 trees (e.g. multi resolution shadow mapping).

This is what they are talking about and there is a lot of truth in the postings above (available platforms, ease of use, real-time editing, production-ready software).

But you are right if you mention the price. T3D and Unity are just more expensive. So Gamestudio keeps the best solution for kids and students. And I think this is easy to see in the forum as well. This is not a bad thing.

So you just have to distinguish if you are talking about learning 3d programming with very low budget or if you really are making something for sale with lots of platforms and efficient time usage in mind.

Gamestudio will not die because of the price advantage. But finished indie games will be published in greater amount with the use of Unity and T3D. And there is no doubt that there will be finished games made with Gamestudio as well. But it will be a smaller amount and they will be Windows only.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Torque 3D [Re: Machinery_Frank] #268983
06/01/09 07:48
06/01/09 07:48
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
very well put.

but,
although those features arent beginner functions (of course shaders arent hard to set up after already made) but that doesnt negate the possibility and soon shadows wont be much of an issue either with chrisB's dll, shade-c, and the iridium engine.

Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #268987
06/01/09 09:25
06/01/09 09:25
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
But you are right if you mention the price. T3D and Unity are just more expensive.
Not that much more expensive

Unity Indie $199.00

Unity Pro $1499.00

Even though the Pro version is much more expensive , the indie version is still very complete , and still includes web deployment and shaders.

what it mainly doesn't have is render to texture, post processing, video playback and realtime shadows. So , in that sense , the pro version is indeed the one you'd want for a full fledged game , but for $199 you can use the indie version until you gather up enough money for the pro. And , $1500 for such an engine is actually a steal. I mean , in the real world , what can you buy for $1500 ? A medium sized television ? A lower end PC ? Some rims ?

Torque 3d $1,000 per Developer

That's too expensive ? And for the people against their licensing. You have to make over $250k annually with your game. So , if you bought the $1000 dollar version , and you make a kick ass game that makes over $250,000 that year , then you contact them about their commercial license , which is only $3000. So , $250,000 - $3,000 = $247,000 , not that big a deal if you ask me. Specially considering you'll have to fork over around half of your entire profits to the government in taxes , LOL.

GameStudio is becoming obsolete , and that's a fact , until we see A8 , as A7 was a MASSIVE GIGANTIC disappointment.

Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de