by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, henrybane, flink, 1 invisible), 712 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #269842
06/04/09 20:23
06/04/09 20:23
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B
@naysayers: Screw you guys, it's another monkey island. As a matter of fact 3 was the best MI in my opinion, you forget, Ron Gilbert was always with 1-4, I'm curious if he's with this one too...

The first one had better jokes, puzzles that made more sense and overall a better story though. The last 2 really weren't that good. No offense, but did you really play them all? smile Perhaps I'm just a bit nostalgic.

In a way Tales of Monkey Island does give me new hopes for a Full Throttle 2.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: PHeMoX] #269871
06/05/09 00:43
06/05/09 00:43
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
The first one had better jokes, puzzles that made more sense and overall a better story though. The last 2 really weren't that good. No offense, but did you really play them all? smile

....Are you kidding me? laugh

Did i play them? Well, I've played through the first one the most, I'm not sure how many times, at least twice through 2 (which i'm not that huge on) 3 I've played around 3-4 times, and i played 4 once. I thought 4 was not that great, I don't really care for the controls in that one, it's the same control set as in Grim Fandango, which i'm not a big fan of. I like point and click.

Lemme just say this, Lucasarts was my favorite developer for a while because of things like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight and the Monkey Island series, I'm a serious fan of MI, and I still think 3 is the best one. 1 was great, 2 was good(the end puzzles still aggravate me), 3 was the best and 4 was .... meh ok.

I hope they have the point and click gameplay in this one, I really do.

About FT though, I think it would be cool for a second one, but I don't think FT needs it. FT was really really good, also one of the best Lucasarts games, and one of the best adventure games.

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #269881
06/05/09 04:15
06/05/09 04:15
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The 3rd one was always my favorite (Curse). The 2D animation and art is the best in the series and they had some of the best performances you'll find in a game. The actor that did Guybrush in Curse is who they're using for these games.

Those first two are classics of course. I don't see the problem with this new one. It's a new MI series, and the cynicism is surprising. It's not going to look like the competition because those games take a long time to make. Telltales system is to release a new episode per month, so it's not going to have as much art direction.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: Orange Brat] #269921
06/05/09 08:53
06/05/09 08:53
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Anyone ever play the game willybeamish? Now that was a cracker!

Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #270003
06/05/09 13:59
06/05/09 13:59
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
@mpdeveloper_B: Mmm, well when I think of it some more, I think the first game just appealed more to me, but perhaps you're right in that it's not necessarily a better game than the later sequels. A thing that bothered me from the 3rd game is that the art style is a lot different too.

I think this new MI will have similar controls as Sam & Max has. At least there's a good chance, meaning it has a point & click kind of control as well.

Quote:
Lemme just say this, Lucasarts was my favorite developer for a while because of things like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight and the Monkey Island series

Same here, but their recent (read: last 5 years) focus on Star Wars and Indiana Jones ruined it for me at some point. It's why I hope for a new FT, even though you are very much right in that it probably was one of if not thé best game Lucasarts ever made and difficult to surpass.

Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: PHeMoX] #270020
06/05/09 15:24
06/05/09 15:24
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Same here, but their recent (read: last 5 years) focus on Star Wars and Indiana Jones ruined it for me at some point. It's why I hope for a new FT, even though you are very much right in that it probably was one of if not thé best game Lucasarts ever made and difficult to surpass.

It's because, you know what happened, right?

They stopped DEVELOPING games, Lucasarts were great developers, probably the best in that time. As soon as Lucasarts started hiring outside developers their games weren't as good. For instance, Jedi Outcast compared to Jedi Knight is crap.

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #270228
06/07/09 05:59
06/07/09 05:59
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Here's a preview of the HD remake of the original. Features a couple videos, one showing a before and after effect. All of the Curse of Monkey Island voice actors are returning for it (just like the new Tales series). The original game is also included:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1025

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #270351
06/07/09 20:22
06/07/09 20:22
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

It's because, you know what happened, right?

They stopped DEVELOPING games, Lucasarts were great developers, probably the best in that time. As soon as Lucasarts started hiring outside developers their games weren't as good. For instance, Jedi Outcast compared to Jedi Knight is crap.

Sad but true.

But it seems Lucasarts agrees with us. Star Wars The Force Unleashed was developed by Lucasarts themselves again. They've already decided it's a pretty bad idea to sell licenses to companies that make crappy games ruining their franchise. But I'm not quite following why the think giving Telltale a license is a worthy choice. No offense to Telltale, I like their poker game and the Sam & Max games, but I had hoped for Lucasarts to develop a sequel themselves.

Cheers

Re: Telltale doing new Monkey Island series... [Re: PHeMoX] #270616
06/09/09 02:34
06/09/09 02:34
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

They licensed out to TT, most likely because they are the most successful company out there at this type of game at the moment. Sam & Max is a hit and their franchises for Wallace & Gromit, Strong Bad, and CSI are all doing pretty good. I have no idea if they will do anymore Bone episodes. Anyway, they have 5 major franchises now, so they're a natural choice I think given LA isn't really focused on traditional P&C anymore (but they'll gladly take our money if we choose to buy something they have a piece of).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de