by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther), 1,282 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Project Isle of Polm #269882
06/05/09 04:52
06/05/09 04:52
PA
Garrettwademan Offline OP
Garrettwademan  Offline OP

PA
I have been at this project for a good 5 or 6 years now. The project is The Isle of Polm. The goal is to have this game be a mmorpg. I have been around when we only had the built in server/client structure, and it only supported 4 players, but it was still terrible and I could not do what I wanted it to do.

Recently I have purchased ANet and am now using this instead. It works great. As of now there are 64 zones of terrain, and when the clients enter a new zone, they as the client request information for the zones around them. The request system is seamless to the client because they don't see objects load (only when they first log in). The server has all the information and properties for every object, and using ANet the server packs them into an array and sends it to the client so they can't tamper with it. It is not perfected yet, but I was able to test about 8 players with this system and it worked great. At about 8 players the server dataIN was about 18 Kbps and about 10 Kbps out. This was a bit high because I was sending useless data at the time, but I have now fixed that and hoping it will be about half if not 1/4 of that. This project has come a long way, and I REFUSE to accept defeat in this project. I hear a lot of people here saying it can't be done with 3D Game Studio, or done period. I won't give up on this one.

As of now, I am the main programmer, modeler, designer, graphics guy and I have my one friend supporting some ideas and models. I think in one way or another this shows the true power of this 3D Game Studio engine.

You will see current pictures below using some trees I bought off another 3d artist here for testing. The terrain was created using PNP Terrain Creator.

You can find some of the work in the prior years as I got better with this. I have had MANY MANY downfalls, but always saw a path around them. Here is the archive (some pics are from Realm Crafter when I found out multiplayer was not an option in 3D Game Studio, then ANet came around and I came back)

http://www.garrettwademan.com/gallery.html

You can find more information and screenshots at our forum too if you are interested in going back in time on this project.

IOP Forum http://garrettwademan.com/forum/index.php

I also have saved every version I ever released for testing since the beginning of time so I can personally see my progress. It is pretty crazy when you go back and look at some of that stuff.

Last edited by Garrettwademan; 06/05/09 04:57.

Current Project: Computer Repair Simulator
https://www.computer-repair-simulator.com
Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: Garrettwademan] #269901
06/05/09 06:44
06/05/09 06:44
Southern Oceans
KiwiBoy Offline
KiwiBoy  Offline

Southern Oceans
Very mystical loooking to me and quite nice to see so many lovelry spots of jungle in the screens.

For a 5 year project and still going strong says a lot about your dedication and perserverence, good one matey....keep it up, its very inspiring to read and see....

Use the 'manual' Luke, the manual is your friend. 'Self reminder' smile

My WebPage
Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: KiwiBoy] #269904
06/05/09 07:22
06/05/09 07:22
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Nice project so far. smile
Looks like Sims 2 Castaway! laugh

Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: Cowabanga] #269983
06/05/09 13:05
06/05/09 13:05
PA

PA
80% of all the work done to this project is server/client communication and trying to find the best way of doing this. Thanks for the comments.

Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: Garrettwademan] #269994
06/05/09 13:40
06/05/09 13:40
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Are the model woman from you (is well done) ?

Try to find some code to adjust the lightening on the character,your level is at night and the characters shines a lot in the dark laugh
I saw your gallery , and even you simple levels lokks really cool and good smile
Very inspiring ...

Keep it up smile

Last edited by ratchet; 06/05/09 13:41.
Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: Garrettwademan] #269995
06/05/09 13:41
06/05/09 13:41
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

Woow, Nice scenery... Still, my eyes are locked to the girl... What's the genre anyway?

Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: bart_the_13th] #270390
06/08/09 06:22
06/08/09 06:22
PA

PA
I actually just applied a diffuse shader on the girl just before taking screen shots there, I am still looking for a good player shader. I also am looking to find a good shadow shader for the terrain as the trees cast a terrible shadow.

The character model was a mixture of me and a pro character modeler as I am still fine tuning my character modeling. The model went back and fourth a few times between me and him on touching her up.

This is all focused on server/client programming, as I was testing the limits of gamestudio's built in engine before, and now I am testing ANet to see how well it works. I have not done too much to this version about looks, I need to know this ANet is stable, and so far it is exactly what everyone needs for multi-player games.

The genre hmm, not sure I guess. I am aiming for crafting, terraforming, player made towns, player made tools/weapons/armour, fighting of kingdoms. Basically the character starts out with little to nothing as a peasant that was sent to an island, not sure how they got there yet. The player has to use basic materials such as rocks and debri to make better tools, fire bla bla bla and build their skill using my skill system.

Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: Garrettwademan] #270502
06/08/09 14:58
06/08/09 14:58
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

erm....just one thing. I don't want to be posted as a "nay-sayer" but...3DGS can't pull off a huge world MMO. Not being a jerk, but seriously, at the moment it can't. It says you have virtually unlimited players, but that's not true.

Either way, Good Luck on this project. I hope it goes well.

edit: I noticed on your site you couldn't find documentation for TGEA. It can be found here. All you need is your login to the torque website and you can look at the docs. There's a full reference guide and all.

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #270552
06/08/09 17:52
06/08/09 17:52
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:
erm....just one thing. I don't want to be posted as a "nay-sayer" but...3DGS can't pull off a huge world MMO. Not being a jerk, but seriously, at the moment it can't. It says you have virtually unlimited players, but that's not true.

Not true. it can be pulled of with one of the many third party plugins, but no one around here has the skill for it or the budget.

Re: Project Isle of Polm [Re: lostclimate] #270565
06/08/09 18:22
06/08/09 18:22
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
actually most engines cant pull of a multizone unlimited player mmo environment, unless it spesifically created for mmos.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de