by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
FBX import, A7 Pro, bone weights not working correctly? #274507
06/27/09 02:02
06/27/09 02:02
California, USA
J
jaknine Offline OP
jaknine  Offline OP
J

California, USA
I have been fiddling with this model's knee area for a few hours here. It seems no matter how I set up the bone weights in Max where it looks like how I want it, 3DGS ignores the weighting. There are only two bones affecting the verts in question, but even so I set the engine to use max_bones=4.

Here is how the knee looks in the engine. You can see how the verts on the back bottom of the thigh are poking through the knee. It's worse looking in the engine than my screen shot can actually show. :

Here it is in 3DSMax 2009. I have all the verts in that area set to smoothly deform as the knee bends. :

Here you can see that I've got max_bones set to 4:

I'm exporting as FBX and I've tried doing it as editable poly, editable mesh, baked animations, non-baked animations, and with Physique instead of Skin. Nothing seems to work; the engine appears to be arbitrarily deciding weights for the verts that aren't at all close to what I have set in Max.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Jak

Re: FBX import, A7 Pro, bone weights not working correctly? [Re: jaknine] #274913
06/29/09 07:02
06/29/09 07:02
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Hmm, the screenshot does not necessarily look like wrong weights, it looks also as if some polygons could be wrong sorted or have a wrong normal. Can you check if there is a submesh with a different texture or material, or a different smoothing group?

When the weights were wrong assigned by the engine, I'd expect that it would happen with other models too. So my first guess is that's something related to that particular model. But you can check:

First, export the whole animation to FBX vertex frames. If the problem then still happens, it's unrelated to bones weights.

Otherwise, export to FBX bones but import as vertex animation. If the problem then still happens, the FBX file already contains wrong weights. It might be a problem of the FBX exporter then.

When the problem disappears when importing as vertex animation, it could indeed be an engine bug. In that case, can you send us the FBX model?

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de