by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, Quad), 901 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like #275287
06/30/09 21:41
06/30/09 21:41
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline OP
Expert
lostclimate  Offline OP
Expert

Bay City, MI
Well, spike made a thread, and yeah, it might seem a little distasteful to some to say you hate kids, (but i believe everyone is allowed to state there opinion)

Now i never read anywhere that it is against the rules or inappropriate, or illegal to post that you hate kids, so there is no legitimate reason to close the thread so it is all about if you like it or not. Does that mean just because checkbutton is a mod and he doesn't like people saying that that he can just close a thread? Shouldn't mods be taking things objectively and not with their own personal bias?

Last edited by lostclimate; 06/30/09 21:49. Reason: forgot to write "is no" before legitimate.
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like [Re: lostclimate] #275294
06/30/09 21:54
06/30/09 21:54
I
ISG Offline

Expert
ISG  Offline

Expert
I

Mods have the power to maintain topics that are tasteful to the majority. We must take into consideration this isn't just a community, the community here is a selling point and tool for Conitec and their products.

Ground Tactics - Coming Soon
Ground Tactics OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like [Re: ISG] #275295
06/30/09 22:03
06/30/09 22:03
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
If the mods ought necessary then they should do it.
I think this forum has a very low mod activity already, and why do we always need to put these tiny decisions in question?

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like [Re: Joozey] #275298
06/30/09 22:14
06/30/09 22:14
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
If a moderator seems fit that a specific topic is distasteful, s/he can lock or delete it.

If you think moderator didn't act right, you are allowed to point it up, but do be mindful when you raise your hand.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like [Re: Inestical] #275299
06/30/09 22:17
06/30/09 22:17
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

Why not ask this in private via pm instead of publishing it on the forum, lc?

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont like [Re: Blade280891] #275303
06/30/09 22:52
06/30/09 22:52
Berlin, Germany
checkbutton Offline

Expert
checkbutton  Offline

Expert

Berlin, Germany
Sorry, but I think you didn't get the point why I closed it. I did so not because spike stated he hates kids, I did so because he stated he does so, because he can't smack them into the face.
This shows an aggressive attitude (regardless if it was meant serious or not) which in my point of view, is tasteless and should not be published on these forums.

I don't have a homepage, for god's sake!
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont l [Re: Blade280891] #275306
06/30/09 23:21
06/30/09 23:21
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
I think it is okay to ask this in public.
@ lostclimate:
I understand that it hurt your feelings, that checkbutton closed the thread.
I respect your honest talking about your feelings, experiences and opinions.
And, I think, checkbutton didn't close the thread because of you, but of the very last post which actually was not appropriate anymore. [EDIT: okay, I didn't remember Spike's posts. And, I think that is the right decision.]

For my part, I think there's nothing but children that can show us how complicating and sensitive a soul is. Our own soul, as well.
sometimes, it is extremely difficult to understand why a child does this or that.
The save way is to observe it and to try to understand it while thinking it tries to do something good and appropriate, even if it is acting like a devil. But, this doesn't mean that the child can do anything it likes, it means, that a responsible adult can't do much about it, but keep a dialog of interactions and sort of negotiations with the child.

One exciting point is this: a child is not the master of its will, actually it experiences its own will as something that comes like a storm of feelings that it can't handle.

You said that none can blame his parents for his bad behaviour. Sure, anybody is responsible for his behaviour from a certain age on, but the way their parents (and other adults) treated him still influences his ability to control his own behaviour.

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 06/30/09 23:25. Reason: I read checkbutton's post
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont l [Re: Pappenheimer] #275314
07/01/09 00:14
07/01/09 00:14
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
actually i was not serious at all...
i was amazed how many disrespectful and idiotic coments came from some members here.
as if my girlsriends musical taste has anything to do with the reason i dislike kids, or if my political ideals have anything to do with this.
i found the replies of some of you rather amusing (like the one that diagnosed a "my life sucks" attitude, wich was hilarious) to rude to pure idiocy.
it shows how far off you people are from the ideals of free speach and democracy, the right for an opinion and the freedom to state said opinion.
i agree with checkbutton in closing the thread, as it was never planned on starting a serious discussion anyway.
btw, i dont hate kids, i just dont like them either, because i am a choleric person and know this. people like me shouldt habe kids, but i at least know this. same thing cant be said for billions of otehr people. also, id never hit a child or a woman, and i havent hit somebody for years.

thing is, you people need to realize that there are people that dont share your opinion, and for that, you shouldnt hate them. in fact, you should think about their opinion to become a better person, not stay in your little nietzsche slave moral life...

oh and lostclimate, thanx for the support. good to see some sane people around here...

edit: and before some of you ask me for the umptenth time if i meant you: if you feel adressed, there surely is a reason for that. its pathetic, but true. if by a certain age you havent realized that the world is filled with idiots, there is a good reason for that...

Last edited by sPlKe; 07/01/09 00:16.
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont l [Re: sPlKe] #275319
07/01/09 00:44
07/01/09 00:44
Germany, NRW
T
TheThinker Offline
TheThinker  Offline
T

Germany, NRW
It is not a part of democracy to let a statement stand comentless for itself. You can't post such a post into a forum thinking nobody should critize you. To be critizied for your opinion is also part of free speech. It doesn't matter if the comments are tastfull or not. I am a very impulsive man, too. But I respect it, that others send me into my borders with sarcasm, humor or direct.

Your post was distatefull - serious or not. So I think closing the Thread because of YOUR post would have been the best descision.
And, in my opinion rude post deserve rude answers. Take it as a scala on which you can recognize the idiocy of your own post.

Edit: I don't like Checkbuttons posts very much. But (!) his descisions to close threads were always right in my eyes. I think he has a feeling for things which belong into a game development forum or not.

Last edited by TheThinker; 07/01/09 00:49.
Re: should mods be able to lock threads just because they dont l [Re: sPlKe] #275324
07/01/09 00:53
07/01/09 00:53
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
we are all adults here, and as a moderator it is up to us to try to maintain order, so sometimes our decision to act may not be favorable. based on a single persons feeling or opinion, especially in this particular part of the forum, opinions can be a bit less critical. truth is, i hate kids sometimes, i have two young children and i am a school teacher, so there are days that i dont want to think about them. But i didnt take Spikes comment seriously, and for those of you that did, its ok to not read any further. because this forum has so many members from so many places, i think freedom of speech should be respected. as long as we honor the rules of the forum, and try to respect each other, then we will be fine. i also hate monkeys, lol.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de