by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Konsti, AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: Damocles_] #281075
07/25/09 11:25
07/25/09 11:25
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
If you were to use the WMB file definition, i'm sure BSP blocks could be created.

Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: DJBMASTER] #281202
07/25/09 23:23
07/25/09 23:23
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline OP
Jaeger  Offline OP
J

Chicago
Well, we may be switching engines. I've found an engine that has virtually everything we need, minus the spline tools (but I could integrate the tools with this engine relatively efficiently). There's also a great 3rd party editor (Grome) which has all the terrain/world tools, and works well with this new engine. It's geared towards MMOs and military sims, and is actually being used by the US Military in development of combat sims and trainers. It so far seems perfectly geared and oriented towards our project's needs, as really no engines have these features for highly-realistic military sims. They work great for fantasy and casual fps games, etc, but these sorts of sims have VERY quirky and specific needs. It also has native support for MASSIVE worlds, endless terrain, and even full-sized planets, lol (totally without using any "code tricks", all off the shelf). It's even got native support for realistic flight models! Omg! Über! Dwarfs and Trolls! <- kidding about the trolls.. wink

Another major plus is that it's highly modular, and it's API fully integrates with Visual Studio. I'm new to C# (only experienced previously with C/C++, and I'm really even new to Lite-C), but I've practically picked up all the basics today. I wrote a fully functional web browser, word processor, and calculator in C# today after reading the doco, no outside help or templates. I find already that the power of C# (but also flexibility and simplicity compared to C++) actually let's me work faster than with Lite-C and any scripting languages. I originally planned on writing our full MMO in C++, but I think C# has won my heart already. It almost felt like second nature when I started fiddling with it last night.

So I've got a full demo of it, with no limitations. But it's only the beta version I got (because they need testers, and hope to encourage you to buy), and I'm only allowed to use it while beta is still open (I think, not sure on rules so must read again). But I'll be able to make my final call on it before then. It's just a VERY expensive AAA engine. But I'll be able to purchase the full/pro license before long, IF I decide we need it. I think it's going to be WELL worth it for OUR project though, due to what we're aiming for. Most people just don't need this stuff to make great, successful games, and A7 is perfect for them.

But I'll NEVER leave the community here. smile I'll still always love A7 and all of you! Lol! So even if we do switch, I'll still be around and tinker with A7 in my free time, and annoy all of you forever! I'll probably help folks out with their projects when I have time, if they want. I just always want to work with A7, because it's so fun, heheh. If it would work with A7, I MIGHT even try making some free tools for the engine *in the future* with C# (not promising). I just couldn't subject myself to the hell of doing things like that in C++, lol. I love, but have a fearful, grudging respect of C++, so I avoid doing anything "for fun" with it, if you know what I mean. So hopefully new engine tools/plugins written in C# will work with A7, because I'll give it a try when the time comes.

Thanks for everyone's help, with everything. I'll let you know about what decision we make, and I'll definitely be sticking around regardless of what we choose. A7 has just been too much friggen' fun to ever abandon. Good luck to everyone with their projects, and may God have mercy on our souls with what we're about to get into, lol. wink

Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: Jaeger] #281542
07/27/09 16:57
07/27/09 16:57
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Have you already 3D art and assets, design docs ?

Caus that's not the engine that makes your game.
For example if i modelise with minimum 2D art, i know it will never reach a good model with good design and study.

Same thing if you can't have 3D artits working fast and producing today AAA characters with normal maps animations,
Artists making great levels and textures ....
The AAA engine won't make the essential graphics and 3D art for you !

Depends on your game , if it is terrain, some ennemies,some buildings, it won't ask you as lot of work as very studied levels, not only outdoor.
But Unity for example , that have complete terrain tools , amazing workflow , and that you can extend easily with C# could be an option for you.

Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: ratchet] #281665
07/28/09 02:10
07/28/09 02:10
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline OP
Jaeger  Offline OP
J

Chicago
Ummm... Yes, lol. Our artists are professionals with masters degrees in 3D and game design. smile This isn't a "n00b dream effort" here (<- insert dwarfs and trolls here, lol). Some might think I'm a noob to programming because I've asked a lot of questions about A7 and Lite-C, but just because I was new to those two particular things. Not programming. I'm a little new to the graphical things, but I'm fully capable of writing professional applications, and have picked up on graphical programming with ease. I was actually considering hiring a team of programmers (friends) to develop our own engine, but deemed it unnecessary. Like I said, when I have free time I still want to work with A7 for fun, and I'll probably be making some new tools for it soon enough.

Unlike most, this isn't a hobbyist game we're making. This is a very serious commercial project. And we need the new engine to do it efficiently. I'm more comfortable working with a "higher" language in Visual Studio with an integrated engine API anyway; it's what I'm used to. Since we're also prospective investors, we're getting it at a rock bottom price. It's really an unbeatable deal, and I'd feel stupid not to grab it. smile Plus it's got all the design tools the artists need for building this massive world. So we're all going to be very happy and be able to work at warp speed compared to what we've been doing. I really love A7, and always will, but it just can't meet our needs on this. So this is the only way we're going to finish that I see.

We'll have an official website with videos of our work up pretty soon. I just have some loose ends to tie up to port everything over. But rest assured, we're deadly serious about this and the devil himself better not get between us and our goals. smile

P.S.- Yes, to be more clear, we've got design docs, lots of art finished, tabulated ballistics calculations, flight model tables, armor penetration tables, basically all the parts of the puzzle. We've just got to put it all together. This venture has been mainly to see if A7 was going to meet our needs, but we've decided it hasn't after testing. So we've just got to move on to something that we KNOW can meet our needs.

Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: Jaeger] #281668
07/28/09 02:44
07/28/09 02:44
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
hey, if your looking to hire programmers or prop artists, im always available for work laugh

Re: Professional grade world editor suite? [Re: lostclimate] #281671
07/28/09 03:29
07/28/09 03:29
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline OP
Jaeger  Offline OP
J

Chicago
Awesome. We've got to finish our prototype/demo as of now (and get our publisher on board), so I can't literally hire yet. But I'll contact you when commercial work is kicked off for sure. Drop me a pm right quick, why don't ya? smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de