by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Konsti, 2 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wich language for Unity 3D??? #281834
07/28/09 21:31
07/28/09 21:31
Baden Württemberg, Germany
Espér Offline OP
Expert
Espér  Offline OP
Expert

I own unity 3D now, and wanted to ask for some opinions on the different languages...

C#
Boo
Javascript
and, i heard from a friend it´s possible, LUA

Which is the best to create games with Unity???
And are there any Online Workshops for those languages???

Last edited by Espér; 07/28/09 22:13.

Selling my Acknex Engine Editions (A7 Com & A8 Pro):
>> click here if you are interested <<
Re: Wich language for Unity 3D??? [Re: Espér] #281871
07/29/09 06:04
07/29/09 06:04
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I personally would prefer C# because it is a well-thought language, developed from the same man who invented Delphi / Object Pascal whith all the object oriented advantages and no pointer fighting.
But beginners often like to start with Javascript. I have no experience with Boo.

If you want to know more about the workshops then it is better to ask in the Unity forums.

But I am interested what decision you make later on.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Wich language for Unity 3D??? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #281917
07/29/09 12:47
07/29/09 12:47
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
I agree, C# is the best language Unity supports anyway.

Re: Wich language for Unity 3D??? [Re: Cowabanga] #281923
07/29/09 13:32
07/29/09 13:32
Espér Offline OP
Expert
Espér  Offline OP
Expert

I think I'll try c#..
found the book "C# lernen" in the usenet.. Looks like a good start in learning the language... But, hasn't unity a workshop like the A7 one?

Selling my Acknex Engine Editions (A7 Com & A8 Pro):
>> click here if you are interested <<
Re: Wich language for Unity 3D??? [Re: Espér] #281964
07/29/09 17:21
07/29/09 17:21
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i like boo. it kind of is c# with a python-like syntax. so your code will be much shorter.

boo is easy to figure out if you know some python and some c# or java. there aren't many tutorials and examples though for unity so probably for most people it's best to learn c#. boo also can't be used for unity-iphone at the moment but there are pretty good c#<->boo converters i think.

by the way, unity doesn't use javascript. it's unityscript which only looks like javascript at a first glance but there are many differences. i wouldn't use it since it's proprietary and you can only use it with unity. as far as i know unityscript actually is boo in disguise. they used boo for creating it since boo has powerful language and compiler extension features.

Re: Wich language for Unity 3D??? [Re: ventilator] #282401
07/31/09 20:29
07/31/09 20:29
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline
Jaeger  Offline
J

Chicago
C#... Simply awesome...

We just got started with a new engine, and it supports every .NET language. It's primarily geared towards C#, so I made the obvious choice to get into C#. So I decided to patrol some familiar territory first, and started reading the VC# doco and playing around with windows form applications. I already had a lot of experience with C/C++ under .NET, and I found the familiarity comforting. It made the "Java-esque" things easier to stomach and learn. Well, I've virtually gotten to the brink of mastering the intermediate concepts of C#. It's been such a smooth transition, that I can do virtually everything I could with C++ by using a little help from online or the documentation. And it's freakin fast to write with! Most people can nearly double their speed from C++ with C#. It's extremely well encapsulated, smooth, and safe. At first, the system of object/method and memory protection might seem daunting, but you'll learn to appreciate how powerful and rewarding it is.

So hands down, go with C#. Unless you have virtually no experience with "higher" languages, and feel like you wouldn't be able to learn (for some odd reason). Even still, I'd say you need to learn it and use it. You'll never be sorry if you do. It's almost like a perfect blend of the power vs. productivity tradeoff. But of course, this is just me. I just don't really care for scripting and scripting languages. Javascript really annoys me too, lol. And Boo? Hell if I know. I know nothing of it.

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de