by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Konsti, AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Looking for developer #282263
07/31/09 00:55
07/31/09 00:55
PA
Garrettwademan Offline OP
Garrettwademan  Offline OP

PA
I am currently looking for someone to help me with my project. I understand the guidelines state that mmorpg's fail 99% of the time, but I refuse to give up. Let me fill you in quickly on where I am at.

The game is entitled IOP or Isle of Polm. It is a mmorpg where players enter the online world and live, work and fight with each other. The world is terraformable (if that is even a word) and players build and maintain their own tools, weapons, armor and cities. I have a small map as of now for building my game as I didn't want to expand it to fast. I have been on this project for close to 5 years....most of the time I have been learning and getting the best of client/server communication using 3D Game Studio. Currently I am using a third party DLL I bought to control the multiplayer aspect of the game. This DLL file supports 2000 global entities, which is great, as I am only expecting to have at least 250 players per server.

What I have now:
- Server and Client coded so players can join the server and visually see everyone else updated.
- Server and Client communication where as the client moves around the world, the server sends data on where the plants and trees should be, this works great, this way I don't overload the clients on data, and the server doesn't have to render every model, just what is around them. I have tested this with up to 10 players and it worked flawlessly, but who is to say when I have 50 players it will not be good, I don't know.
- I have my world cut up in 64 zones which are stitched together. I created them using PNP-Terrain Creator and some other tools.
- I have basic terraforming coded now so the players can dig or dump dirt onto the terrain to adjust it to their needs. This will allow players to mark their territory, enjoy landscaping the world and allow them to place farms, buildings, shacks, etc.
- I have some pretty basic player movement code so the player can squat walk, walk, side strafe and jump. I have some camera options coded in as well so the players can see all angles of first and third person views.
- Functional chat with scrolling commands to review old chat.
- I have a demo, if you are interested I can fire the server up and show you what I have.
- Every client uses 1.5 kbps while active or moving, if they are only walking forward, it is 1.0 Kbps. If the player is idle, they transmit 0 Kbps, and only receive data from other clients or the server

What I am looking for:
- You don't have to be serious or know it all, I am willing to teach what I know, I am very patient
- I would like you to have good skills at the 3D Game Studio programming using C-Script as sometimes it may take me 30 minutes of thinking out a problem when with two heads it can take 10.
- Modeling for 3D Game Studio is a plus
- Graphic design is a plus
- This is more of a hobby for me, so I don't expect you to be on it all the time.
- You don't have to know the server / client coding, I can do that just fine, especially with doing it for 5 years now thanks to the pioneer Locoweed.

Extra thoughts:
THIS IS NOT A PAID JOB, it is more of a hobby to challenge the limits of 3D Game Studio and all the nay sayers who say MMORPG cannot be done. I have an awesome framework thus far.

If you want to see some screen shots, you can see them here...

CLICK HERE TO SEE SOME SCREEN SHOTS

Remember, this is a NON paying job, it is a hobby and a huge challenge. PM me or send me an email at garrett@garrettwademan.com. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Garrettwademan; 07/31/09 01:04.

Current Project: Computer Repair Simulator
https://www.computer-repair-simulator.com
Re: Looking for developer [Re: Garrettwademan] #282266
07/31/09 01:25
07/31/09 01:25
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Sounds like a very interesting project.
I'm curious to see something of it.
Your screenshots don't show up. The link returns to this page.

Re: Looking for developer [Re: Pappenheimer] #282267
07/31/09 01:35
07/31/09 01:35
PA
Garrettwademan Offline OP
Garrettwademan  Offline OP

PA

I will be adding textures to the terrain next as the player digs, this is what I am currently working on. If you wish to talk, you can reach me via....

AIM: Garrettwademan
MSN: Garrett@garrettwademan.com

Current Project: Computer Repair Simulator
https://www.computer-repair-simulator.com
Re: Looking for developer [Re: Garrettwademan] #282812
08/03/09 21:39
08/03/09 21:39
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

The water in the first shot looks like a mirror

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Looking for developer [Re: Blade280891] #283077
08/05/09 15:10
08/05/09 15:10
V
vertex Offline
vertex  Offline
V

Have you considered a single player RPG commercial effort? Perhaps that is the direction that you really need to go in if you want to continue with a 3D effort. Use profits to develop mmo later....

The primary thing that I think a serious 3D MMO needs is money. There are only 8-12 productive working hours in a day, and the tasks needed for an MMO to make it into reality are great to say the least. I wouldn't consider a small team developed 3D MMO unless it were Uber-simple-- a working entertaining tech demo in essence. I think it can (and it has been done) by one person (simple free ad supported MMO).

Another solution if you are very passionate about making an MMO is to go 2D. 2D would allow you to focus on story and interaction using existing 2D mmo engines with multiplayer track records. Hosting the game from a home computer is very possible and getting up and running in weeks not months is also possible. For a hobby effort, why not?

I don't want to list all the 2D MMO engines out there, but there are a number and they're free for the most part.

Creating a 3D Game Studio MMO kit would be cool as well-- focus on tech.. feasible? Not sure...

I would certainly plan a trip to the city before the moon...but hats off to your accomplishments so far, and good luck on future efforts.

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de