by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ), 1,258 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Server Question #23270
02/15/04 00:08
02/15/04 00:08
Fort Bragg
Holy_Knight Offline OP
Holy_Knight  Offline OP

Fort Bragg
Hey probly asked alot. But I like to know some things on servers and zones.

I hear with game stuidio 20 per zone is near the lim that seems a little low is that 20 in one area? as having cliping where players see so far around them that other players in the same zone don't show up will that allow more?

I will need about 60 per zone maby more in towns where lag is to be expected but battles and spell effects arn't.

Also can I host more than one zone per server? or is a differn't server all together needed to host each zone. I hear DAOC uses 6 per game server and soft caps at 3000 so I should be able to run 500-750 off of 1 no?

So you know I plain on using commercial to program it but swith to pro witch I hear the only dif is the command that allows you to switch zones and servers.
Also the I am trying to have all the str, dex, ect run off of the home CPU as well as formulating damage and the server getting damage value when needed. The only info needed to go from home CPU to home CPU is location,apperance of each,and hp should they be targeted. as well as chat text ,combat animations, and of course spell effects.

Also will GS run under JAVA or do I need to search for more server host? I havn't started with GS really as its online abilities will make up my mind. I do know it is C+ ,or C++ as I have worked with the trial version and like what I see so far.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE WARPED MY SWEET INNOCENT MIND!!!!
Re: Server Question [Re: Holy_Knight] #23271
02/15/04 04:48
02/15/04 04:48
from the 'Burgh to Denver
CBuilder2 Offline
Developer
CBuilder2  Offline
Developer

from the 'Burgh to Denver
snorgar,

Quote:

Also will GS run under JAVA or do I need to search for more server host? I havn't started with GS really as its online abilities will make up my mind. I do know it is C+ ,or C++ as I have worked with the trial version and like what I see so far.

Java is simply a programming language with a virtual machine; it is not an operating system. If you are asking if GS will run on Linux, it may run on Lindows or other flavors of Linux via emulation. However, I'm not sure how this will effect the game execution speed. Finally, I'm not aware of Conitec supporting Linux at this time.

CBuilder

Total_Stupidity = (Ben_Roethlisberger + Motorcycle) - Helmet
Re: Server Question [Re: Holy_Knight] #23272
02/17/04 18:29
02/17/04 18:29
Fort Bragg
Holy_Knight Offline OP
Holy_Knight  Offline OP

Fort Bragg
K so I need to find a differnt server. Oh well I have time. Thanx. Still wondering about how clip planes would help with amount of players per zone as well as if more than one zone can be ran on the same server any Ideas? I know I got alot of work before my game is up but this info will help in my planning.

Thanks for any help you can give.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE WARPED MY SWEET INNOCENT MIND!!!!
Re: Server Question [Re: Holy_Knight] #23273
03/04/04 02:58
03/04/04 02:58
Atlanta, GA
Virtual_User Offline
Virtual_User  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Answer to many of your questions can be found on this thread:

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=281909&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

If not you can search for many great discussions on this forum for Multi Player topics. There are many people working on vast projects, tutorials, white pages, documents, how-tos, etc. all about Multi Player.

Good Luck!

dplay_internet_capable = no;
Re: Server Question [Re: Holy_Knight] #23274
03/04/04 03:44
03/04/04 03:44
Atlanta, GA
Virtual_User Offline
Virtual_User  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Quote:

Still wondering about how clip planes would help with amount of players per zone as well as if more than one zone can be ran on the same server any Ideas?

I don't think simple clipping is going to help you with your zone overhead. clipping works on the rendered scene... not the network information for each player in a zone. You will need to create your own network code to handle delivery of user information to specific clients to achieve what you are talking about. This can be done in c-script.

Good Luck!

dplay_internet_capable = no;

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de