by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, chsmac85, NeoDumont, dr_panther, TedMar), 1,086 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3DGS Easy Scripter #283146
08/06/09 01:35
08/06/09 01:35
8 Images
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
3DGS Easy Scripter

hi, last August/September I was messing around with C# to improve my programming skills. I wanted to build a small utility that could dynamically build some very simple lite-c scripts. I had previously used a game creation tool called "Game Maker" and was very familiar with a Drag & Drop method to creating games.

I present '3DGS Easy Scripter', a tool to build lite-c applications using a clean, user friendly interface. I've attached a couple of screenshots of the interface and how different objects can be created. The whole idea of this app is to help new users start building games quickly without having to learn the language, and then when they need extra features they can program them in.

You can create all of the objects you see on the 'Create' menu, but i've still got a few more to add like views, structs, arrays etc.

Here is a run down of the current features...

*Create every engine object easily using visual properties. The output is shown in real-time so you know exactly what your game will look like.

*Features a 'Resource' system allowing you to load scripts, images, sounds, models etc. When the project is saved these are embedded into the file so you can share the project with other team members and they will have all the files necessary to run the project. Each resource type allows you to preview it, edit them in external applications.

*I've started developing a 'Template' system to allow creation of projects like FPS shooter, platformers etc. You can also build your own templates by using 'Save as template'.

*Through Stomousfall's C# wrapper, i've found a way to embed the acknex engine. This means you can view models and maps easily.

*For more advanced objects like particles and shaders i've started implementing real-time viewers, allowing you to easily build these objects and see the result immediately. I've included screenies of the particle and effect editors.

*You can now write your functions using advanced features such as syntax highlighing and intellisense. These are fully customizable so you can change keyword colours or add your own words.

*Lite-c as it is doesn't have a seperate object called 'Video', but i thought it was sensible to create a new object for videos. You can load various video formats and then you can use this video objects to play onto a target surface. The sound and video objects use Windows Media Player to preview the media. I decided to go with this because it is easy to implement and it is already installed with windows.

*One of the more complex parts of 3DGS Easy Scripter is the action system. Like i said before, i used to use 'Game Maker' and that used a drag & drop interface to build the game. I've designed the action editor with this in mind and now you can easily drag the event like 'Mouse Left Click' or 'Key Ctrl' and then add the behaviour you want. I've only added a couple of behaviours at the moment for testing but it works pretty well. All the properties are visually edited using the 'property grid' on the right.

*One of the most annoying things i find about using lite-c is creating panels. The reason is because there is no visual editor and so i have to guess coordinates. I know there is 'PanelEdit', but its not really visual. With this in mind i've built a visual panel editor allowing you to drag elements like buttons, windows, digits etc and place them where you want them. This part was actually written before i found the C# wrapper and so it is written in XNA. I might convert this to use the wrapper at a later stage.

* I'm in the process of developing a 'plug-in' system that allows you to write your own behaviours / functions and 3DGS Easy Scripter will add them to its library. The main reason for me building this is because you dont have to wait for me to implement it, plus the acknex engine does change from time to time, and i might not always be available to develop the app. This means that if you want to add support for Newton or another C++ DLL, then it 'should' be very easy to add into your workflow.

*I based a part of 3DGS Easy Scripter on visual studio and you may notice that it does look similar. One thing i like about visual studio is that it provides warnings and error messages. I havent got around to writing an error reporter but i do have a warning system ready to use. When you run the project this will notify you of any possible erors that might occur. This includes things like not loading an image into a BMAP or that a path no longer exists. I think it is helpful and prevents simple errors that we all make.

*3DGS Easy Scripter also features what i call a 'consistency mechanism'. This means that any changes you make to an object will be updated automatically in another object that references the changed object.Eg changing names/properties of a BMAP and the PANEL object will be also updated.

Thats some of the major features, but of course there is a lot more. I'm also planning to create a level editor to replace WED if i have the knowledge. Something similiar to GED but maybe a bit more advanced. You may notice that the current objects don't have all the properties like 'Materials' or 'Panels', i'm still developing those. Once you have added your engine objects and whatever else, just simply press run to test the game out. If it is OK, then you can export the script that 3DGS Easy Scripter will generate.

I'm hoping to have a beta version out around about October/Novemeber but i can't promise anything because i start university in October and so will have to dedicate my time to studying.

I welcome any comments or critism you have. Any questions of features / expected features are of course welcome. If you would like to request a feature then that is fine too, and i'll do my best to implement it. You can also PM me.

Thanks for your time.

visit http://www.djbm.kawanda.net for more information.

DJB.
Last edited by DJBMASTER; 03/08/10 03:04.
57 Comments
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: turkkanka] #284021
08/11/09 09:44
08/11/09 09:44
Croatia
croman Offline
Serious User
croman  Offline
Serious User

Croatia
this looks awesome! i'll give it a try for sure though i also like doing most of the scripting myself

Ubi bene, ibi Patria.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #284192
08/12/09 06:33
08/12/09 06:33
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Hi, do you guys think it is worth having a seperate object called "Pointer List" allowing you to create pointers. I'm debating whether this would be a bit overkill but i guess it would help new users. What about combining it with the "Variable" object, and having a "UseAsPointer" checkbox that tells the engine that it is a pointer?

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 08/12/09 06:53.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: DJBMASTER] #284211
08/12/09 08:14
08/12/09 08:14
Trier, Deutschland
Nowherebrain Offline
Serious User
Nowherebrain  Offline
Serious User

Trier, Deutschland
it would be nice, and you could keep better track of them and naming convention and stuff....not necessary, but useful with larger projects....that is if I understand correctly.

Everybody Poops.
here are some tutorials I made.
http://www.acknexturk.com/blender/
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: Nowherebrain] #284730
08/14/09 19:06
08/14/09 19:06
G
GMS0012 Offline
GMS0012  Offline
G

just one question...

when will it be available laugh

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: GMS0012] #284731
08/14/09 19:11
08/14/09 19:11
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Originally Posted By: GMS0012
just one question...

when will it be available laugh

Can't you read the description??
Originally Posted By: DJBMASTER
I'm hoping to have a beta version out around about October/Novemeber but i can't promise anything because i start university in October and so will have to dedicate my time to studying.

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #285375
08/18/09 10:36
08/18/09 10:36
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
"Update">>>

After a bit of thinking, i added a new object called "PointerList" which helps you keep track of the pointers you use.

You can now work on more than one shader at a time. You can develop shaders for a model, and post-processing effects for the screen, both independently of each other but seeing both the results simultaneously. I've updated the screenshot of the effect editor above.

I added support for lights, creating skyboxes, and the effect editor has been made to run more smoothly.

I re-wrote the "Action Editor" to adhere to stricter OOP rules, and it works much better now. I added the "Mouse" and "Keyboard" events and I added more behaviours to the "Behaviour library". Finally, I re-wrote part of the code parser so now the generated scripts are much easier to read (line spacing, comments, etc).

Thanks.

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 08/18/09 10:38.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: DJBMASTER] #288817
09/08/09 19:52
09/08/09 19:52
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Hi, guys i havent posted updates in a while because i have been busy studying maths for my university course, so i havent worked on in that much.

I have however started fleshing out the "Level Editor" (See last screenshot). As you can see it is really basic at the moment but things that you don't see like the classes/structs have been created to allow you add models, terrains, lights, paths, etc.

It might be a GED clone, but i hope to craft it to what i want it to be > the next 3ds max! Ok maybe not that good.

Good thing is that you can assign entities in the level your actions, materials, effects that can be made in other parts of the editor. Then when its time to run the game, your designed level will compile straight to .wmb format and can be loaded.

oh yeh, thanks go to Enduriel for resources, cheers mate.

Other updates include re-writing the PANEL* editor for the acknex engine rather than XNA, redesigned the FONT* and TEXT* editor to use acknex too, so what you see will be exactly what you get.

Finally, i think i will have to re-consider releasing this for free, because of the amount of work i have put into it. I'll also be at uni and any extra money is certainly useful, lol. But we're not at that stage yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 09/08/09 19:57.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #294770
10/21/09 04:51
10/21/09 04:51
Missouri, USA
penut Offline
penut  Offline

Missouri, USA
Can't wait!!!!! wink

Windows 7/ 2.8Ghz Quad Core i7/8 Gigs DDR2ram/ 2 Crossfired ATI 6850's and one crazy Level Designer! On the "Scion" dev team!!

My old Work http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/penut117/
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: penut] #295425
10/25/09 06:49
10/25/09 06:49
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Hi guys, re-built my website and added a more detailed features list along with some more screenshots.

I'll be posting updates on there, and only major updates on here.

Check it out...

http://djbm.kawanda.net

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 10/25/09 06:49.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: DJBMASTER] #298710
11/17/09 05:50
11/17/09 05:50
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Update...

A plugin system has been developed, allowing the user to write their own behaviours/functions that can be used inside 3DGS Easy Scripter. You build these plugins through an interface whereas you define the parameters that can be changed, and then define the actual code body.

The plugin is exported as a simple DLL and loaded automatically when placed in the 'Plugins' folder.

Users who are familiar with C#, can write the plugin as a C# class and it will be exported. This is actually how the interface works; by generating a C# class.

Then this class is dynamically compiled into a dll, and loaded as a regular .NET assembly.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de