by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 938 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Acknex Arab?? #284756
08/14/09 21:12
08/14/09 21:12
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline OP
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline OP
Expert

Hey Everyone,

Well, i have my birthday money. And i'll open my company website. Well, since my host company offers unlimited space and bandwith, should i make Arabic forum for Arab Acknex users??
If you look at the Arabian Game development forums, you'll see that lots of users complains about an Unoffical arabic site for Gamestudio. That's why lots of Arab Acknex users are lost...

Well, should i make "AcknexArab", like AcknexTurk??

Should i make AcknexArab??
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/14/09 21:11
Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: Cowabanga] #284758
08/14/09 21:51
08/14/09 21:51
M
MichaelGale Offline
Serious User
MichaelGale  Offline
Serious User
M

Quote:
Well, since my host company offers unlimited space and bandwith,

Can you host those few TB data I got here for me?

Your friendly mod is at your service.
Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: MichaelGale] #284760
08/14/09 21:59
08/14/09 21:59
Austria
Stromausfall Offline
User
Stromausfall  Offline
User

Austria
I think that a problem of a seperate forum would be, that not as many people as in this official forum would be able to help with problems. That's why i would suggest an enhancement to the official forum :

My suggestion for the problem of people who have another native language as english or german (i think 10% of all posts are in german, which is in fact quite unfriendly to other users who don't speak german ^^). Is that the main forums should stay ONLY english. But there should be sub forums in the official forum for each other language. Like for example an Arab user forum (i have to admit that i don't know, what languages are spoken in the arabian peninsula... (will have to search wikipedia for this ^^)).
And in each of this subforums, posts are posted in the corresponding native language. And for every forum at least one user who speaks both languages fluently and visits the forum frequently - like you - should be entitled as moderator.
Now that there would be subforums for let's say, german, french, arabic, turkish... People who only speak their native language fluently would be able to post in the forum for their language.
And now comes the difficult part of my concept :
There would have to be users, for example the moderators of these forums and other users who are trusted and speak both languages fluently, who would translate a post to english and post it in the main forum (if needed). and then would translate possible answers in the main forum back into the forum of the certain language. Thus, these special users who translate between the two languages and post in the main forum for users who can't speak english would be the interface between users who don't speak english and the main forum !

But as one can see this concept may be flawed as these people who translate between the two languages, would have quite much to do...

Last edited by Stromausfall; 08/14/09 22:03.
Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: MichaelGale] #284762
08/14/09 22:06
08/14/09 22:06
Cowabanga Offline OP
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline OP
Expert

Originally Posted By: MichaelGale
Can you host those few TB data I got here for me?
Yeah, sure. But it'll take a year to upload it.

@Stromausfall:
I really enjoyed reading your post laugh , and about the translating problem, it should be no problem for me.
And my idea isn't a sub-forum. I mean an Unoffical forum. ANOTEHR forum, using PhpBB or MyBB or SMF etc.

Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: Stromausfall] #284764
08/14/09 22:09
08/14/09 22:09
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
well, i dont know if Arab people want or demand to learn game dev but actually it's a good idea to build a place where people of same culture and language using acknex meets together... Such sites are very useful for non-English speaking locals... But there is a catch...

the biggest problem is that a lot of users with "ideas". You know the ideas like making the next-killer MMORPG... This people doesn't have any gamedev experience or general knowledge, some even doesn't know what is a game-engine, or that you need a network engine for a MMO. Most of these users are kids, and when you say "start small,learn what game development means,study the engine and create small games first.", most of them refuse, they say "you dont know anything, you say same thing all the time." or "do not break our ambition, we re gona make it.".

With Tr3dgs and AcknexTurk, i ran a forum open for public for years, answering questions, making example projects for people to study, translating tutorials or even writing from scratch. You gotta do that too.

The problem was most people didn't really want to learn, they wanted to make a game easy way, lots of code requests, even complete game codes. A lot of them just copy/pasted examples or tutorials, compiled them with a warez version and published these games on gaming forums, of course a lot of people knew the game was originally made by someone else... they always failed.

But those who listened the advice of starting small, learned lite-c, gained general game development knowledge and started to make small games by themselves.

Especially on summer,count of that type of users(the ones that will make a killer MMO) increase, and it gets pretty annoying and forum starts to get filled with a lot of non-sense topics, dead-from-start projects, lots of rubbish.

I made some research about why people thinks that making a mmo is something easy, and why they dont want to make small games... The result was just what i expected... They didnt know a single thing about game development. They lack the general idea behind game development.

So, a month ago i started to use a new forum-rank system that i designed myself.(I use SMF btw.) There is a tier system. There are 3 classes of users, novices,seniors and concordes. Novices are regular users, newly registered users start at novice tier. In novice tier, we mostly write articles about general game development - from ground zero. what does it takes to develop a game, What is a game engine, how it works, what it does and what it doesnt do, general game-design knowledge, statics about indie games, why you should not compete with Ea or activision or blizzard, where to start, etc. This kind of general game design knowledge and culture. Also basic lite-c knowledge and tutorials are written(Translated version of lite-c workshops and a bit more).

If user can convince us(Concorde Tier Members) that he/she has "what it takes to develop a game" and that they understood the basic mechanics of game development, we set their rank to Senior Tier. In that tier user gets access to new forum categories which is not visible(or readonly) to novice tier users. On this categories me and other lite-c users try to create examples and write more advanced tutorials, we basically try to help people learn the engine and lite-c.

System works very well... Seniors are motivated and hungry for examples and explanations, they understand and learn what you give, and make their own small games.

----------------

First, try a fully public forum, if things turn out to be same as Turkish Community, try a system like the one i am currently trying.

Last edited by Quadraxas; 08/14/09 22:12.

Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: Quad] #284771
08/14/09 22:37
08/14/09 22:37
Cowabanga Offline OP
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline OP
Expert

Thank you very much for those tips. If the forum turns to disaster like AcknexTurk before i'll make something like your ranking-system. laugh

@All:
Alright then, AcknexArab will be available soon using MyBB.

Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: Cowabanga] #285118
08/17/09 09:02
08/17/09 09:02
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Dont forget to bring the sexy camels!

Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: LordMoggy] #285143
08/17/09 11:46
08/17/09 11:46
old_bill Offline
Senior Expert
old_bill  Offline
Senior Expert

@LordMoggy:

Stop spamming threads with senseless comments.
This is your last warning, you ware banned before,
and the next time it will be a lifetime ban.

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: old_bill] #285146
08/17/09 11:52
08/17/09 11:52
Berlin, Germany
checkbutton Offline

Expert
checkbutton  Offline

Expert

Berlin, Germany
As this community is open for everybody, I can't see a reason for any splinter communities. In this business, you should be able to read and write proper English, so it should not be a problem for anyone to communicate here.

I don't have a homepage, for god's sake!
Re: Acknex Arab?? [Re: checkbutton] #285167
08/17/09 13:34
08/17/09 13:34
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
The thing people could do is translate George's AUMs into various languages.

Asking questions in someone's native language always demands that at least two people know the language. I don't think it's useful to add yet another site with only one language. It tends to really isolate people, instead of bringing them closer to all useful knowledge out there. I'm pretty sure it's why these forums have always been both English and German. The German part must have got to do with the overwhelming amount of German users, but I'm under the impression that just about every one can speak or at least understand English.

As an example, I think the French 3dgs site failed in this respect, because even though it could be considered useful to French speakers, they never connected with others here.

Not saying we know more than they do, but I am sure there must have been occasions where people have reinvented the wheel more than once.

In the end, people should probably really just learn English to get entrance to the biggest resource of 3dgs related information.

I'm also thinking people in general tend to underestimate the learning process of getting used to and getting to know an engine.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de