by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? #23582
02/26/04 12:28
02/26/04 12:28
Kamiomi Offline OP
Kamiomi  Offline OP

I have a question similar, yet slightly unrelated to the "Huge Worlds" thread below.

I want to create a city in sections, where only one section needs to be loaded at a time (like "neighborhoods"), BUT these are not "levels" that the player completes and moves to the next one.

Can I create different city sections as levels, but allow the player to run around between them at any time? How do I keep the player's variables, like her health, or inventory, or numeric values related to a current "quest", when she is moving between levels?

(before switching over to 3DGS, I've been prototyping my game in the Aurora Neverwinter Nights Toolset, and in NWN changing between areas doesn't disturb global variables or "reset" anything, but I don't know how to do that in 3DGS. the NWN toolset has all kinds of handy placeholders for functions and variables, and I would love to be able to do the same kind of thing in 3DGS)

I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how. I appreciate any advice

Kami

Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Kamiomi] #23583
02/26/04 15:39
02/26/04 15:39
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
For shizzle it can be done!

I don't rightly know the specifics, so I'd be curious for the more informed to answer, but I imagine you would have to store these values on teh server computer or a database and then reload them upon entering the new zone. I think there is a discussion of this on the forums or in the manual ???

BTW to help you speech, you can refer to one actual "server level" as a ZONE or SESSION and free up your level talk..

Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Kamiomi] #23584
02/27/04 01:13
02/27/04 01:13
Atlanta, GA
Virtual_User Offline
Virtual_User  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I am curious as to why you would want to do this? If it is to save on frame rate, there are better methods.

Keep in mind that you would have two options, levels and zones. Levels would be a little bit faster than zones but in reality it would create a very noticeable freeze in the game as you switched between either a level or zone therefore ruining the illusion that you are traveling down a street in a neighborhood.

If you are wanting to save frame rates then just keep track of your players position and create and destroy sections of your city as the user travels near or away respectively.

Keeping skills while traveling from level or zone to zone is documented in other ares throughout the forum. do some searching and you will find many examples.

Good Luck!

dplay_internet_capable = no;
Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Virtual_User] #23585
02/27/04 01:31
02/27/04 01:31
Las Cruces, NM
JimFox Offline
User
JimFox  Offline
User

Las Cruces, NM
How would you create and destroy levels made with blocks?

Jim
Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: JimFox] #23586
02/27/04 01:59
02/27/04 01:59
Koblach, Vorarlberg, Österreic...
Christopher_Summer Offline
Christopher_Summer  Offline

Koblach, Vorarlberg, Österreic...
Quote:

How would you create and destroy levels made with blocks?

Map entities. If they are used good, they can be used wiet good for that.

By the way, to get away this freeze while loading a new part of the level, all of the used map entities could get loaded into the level when it gets started.

-> !WEBSITE! <- LETZTES UPDATE: 17.07.2005
Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Kamiomi] #23587
02/27/04 02:42
02/27/04 02:42
California
Cellulaer Offline
Expert
Cellulaer  Offline
Expert

California

You want level_load(). Global variables stay the same between level loads. You can also use:

game_save(string name,var number,var mode) with the mode set to SV_VARS - save all the global user defined variables except var_info and var_nsave. Then game_load(string name,var number).

You can create multiple WMP files that all point at the same WDL file and level_load() between them.

Buy, Sell, & Archive Realtime 3D Content @ RedRock7.com *BETA* A5.5+ Plugin DLLs: GSADO, GSHTTP, GSImgLst, FreeMod, GSFlash, GSPython http://cellulear.slashbang.com/
Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Cellulaer] #23588
02/27/04 02:50
02/27/04 02:50
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
I guess it depends on your networking future.

If you want networking, then your best bet is to load in separate zones since that way, all users will have see the same thing.

If you don't want networking (single player), then the level loading described above is optimal since the only state you need to worry about is your own as the player.

Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: fastlane69] #23589
02/27/04 17:34
02/27/04 17:34
Kamiomi Offline OP
Kamiomi  Offline OP

I should be more clear about the result I'm looking for - but it's good to hear the confident replies

First of all, this is not multi-player.

Second, this particular city is underground and is logically divided into huge chambers that make up each neighborhood (you would probably either go to some "airlock" type door, or a train station or something, to get to other parts of town). So, I naturally thought of designing each environment separately.

The end result I want is that the player can run all over town, go back to where they came from, et cetera, without resetting anything for loading a new "level".

I could just make it one gigantic environment, but I'd rather make it in sections I'm just not sure how to allow the player to move freely through all those sections at all times.

Thanks

Kami

Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Kamiomi] #23590
02/28/04 04:50
02/28/04 04:50
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Then what cell suggested is best and forget I ever mentioned sessions!:)

Re: "Huge Worlds" Episode 2 - Levels but not "levels"? [Re: Kamiomi] #23591
03/03/04 02:25
03/03/04 02:25
Funkytown, USA
feature_creature Offline
feature_creature  Offline

Funkytown, USA
Yes, if the pause between levels is not a problem, level_load will save your global variables, but maybe you mean something slightly different...

Let's say you have a train that travels through one section of the town on a certain schedule. And if the player leaves the section with the train and comes back 5 minutes later, the train is still "on schedule": the train acts like it still exists even when the level is not loaded.

To do this, just make sure the train's position is based on global variables (like the total time passed). As long as the time variable is updated the train will be in the right place.

This could be complicated if you had a bunch of different things depending on each other (spies who travel by train, and agents that track spies and can modify the train schedule) but in theory, you can update these global variables even when the level isn't loaded.

You could use a starter function that always runs regardless of which level you're on.

Hope I'm helping and not confusing the issue.

Curious, but not overwhelmed...demlehwrevo ton tub ,suoiruC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de