by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,393 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
unity declares war! #296171
10/30/09 03:20
10/30/09 03:20
DEEP 13
badapple Offline OP
User
badapple  Offline OP
User

DEEP 13
will other engines like ours fight back?

i started this post to see what this community thinks gamestudio should do to deal with this new threat , or if you think this move by unity is not a threat and nothing needs to be done at all.

i'll start by saying this is a threat , i love game studio and would hate to switch over , but will if i have to for the features , im sure many like me , who cannot afford to upgrade to com or pro will feel the same way.

even though there are other free engines out there already that support nice features like shaders , irrlicht for example
they are not user friendly like this

this is what i think gamestudio should do , ad some of these nice features , like shaders support to the free lite c , and keep it free.

i feel this would keep most thinking of switching to stay and help bring in new people that might have started somewhere else

so what do you think , threat or not and what should we do about it if you think its a threat

Re: unity declares war! [Re: badapple] #296174
10/30/09 03:55
10/30/09 03:55
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
its not war, gstudio was ahead of the game by releasing lite-c free. granted lit-c free isnt qutie as powerful as unity indie, it is more expandable it seems like.

Re: unity declares war! [Re: lostclimate] #296176
10/30/09 04:59
10/30/09 04:59
DEEP 13
badapple Offline OP
User
badapple  Offline OP
User

DEEP 13
its like when mcdonalds created thier dollar menu , they declared war on burger king , kfc and wendys and bk and the rest had no choice but to make a dollar menu of thier own or
lose costumers.

Re: unity declares war! [Re: badapple] #296177
10/30/09 05:50
10/30/09 05:50
New Jersey, USA
J
jimc74 Offline
jimc74  Offline
J

New Jersey, USA
I am using Leadwerks right now, but in Gamestudio's defence,
Gamestudio has a free version too....

I was curious and downloaded Unity. I must say, it seems really easy,
and I like the shaders that come with it (even the non-reflective water)...

But, all I can keep thinking of is "no realtime reflections, no post-processing,
no Screen Space Ambient Occlusion possibilities, no dynamic shadows"......
so I wouldn't bother with it...

Gamestudio will always be a good choice.

Re: unity declares war! [Re: badapple] #296178
10/30/09 06:02
10/30/09 06:02
Walori Offline
Walori  Offline

The term threat is kinda though one, but if you think as "will kill all teh other engines" then I can say that no, it won't happen. Why? Because people don't like to use same style program. Granted with unity you can get games done easier than in gs(or in lite-c in my case -.-) but it lacks of that prograamming feeling that gs and sed has.

Also for me the "stone age" feeling is turn on because I have to use several programs in y project to achieve the results I want. (maybe I'm a bit weird?)

Quote:
this is what i think gamestudio should do , ad some of these nice features , like shaders support to the free lite c , and keep it free.

totally agree. Maybe merge lite-c free and extra to same and give up from lite-c full and extra (And no, I wouldn't achieve anything with this because I'm buyin my license when my release comes closer)

Re: unity declares war! [Re: jimc74] #296179
10/30/09 06:04
10/30/09 06:04
Missouri, USA
penut Offline
penut  Offline

Missouri, USA
Let's make our own dollar menu....lol....I don't think it's a threat at all just more of a wake up call to GameStudio for it to update and get rollin with the times or be just a memory...

Windows 7/ 2.8Ghz Quad Core i7/8 Gigs DDR2ram/ 2 Crossfired ATI 6850's and one crazy Level Designer! On the "Scion" dev team!!

My old Work http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/penut117/
Re: unity declares war! [Re: penut] #296183
10/30/09 07:17
10/30/09 07:17
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

This will end up in Torque vs A7 anyway grin

Re: unity declares war! [Re: FBL] #296192
10/30/09 08:30
10/30/09 08:30
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
@firo haha... right.

extra edition could go free(without ability to use commercially), that would be enough of a defence, but i dont think this is going to happen

Re: unity declares war! [Re: Quad] #296194
10/30/09 08:52
10/30/09 08:52
Kyiv, Ukraine
VeT Offline
Serious User
VeT  Offline
Serious User

Kyiv, Ukraine
http://forum.rl-team.net/showthread.php?t=1982&page=2

Here is a short list of what that free version lacks in comparison with the pro.

Quote:

Render-to-Texture Effects
Create water with realtime reflections & refractions, surveilance cameras, or use it to create your own full screen post-processing effects.

Full-Screen Post-Processing Effects
Use our built-in image post-processing effects like Glow, Motion Blur, Color Correction, and others, or create your own custom ones. See image effect docs

Realtime Shadows
Unity Pro supports realtime shadows with self-shadowing that just work. Read more
Without Unity Pro it is of course still possible to use lower-end shadowing techniques, like Lightmaps or Projectors.

Profiler
The Profiler in Unity Pro helps you to optimize your game. It reports how much time is spent on rendering, animation, physics, your game logic etc. Read more

Low-Level Rendering Access
Need to use custom rendering techniques, bypassing Unity's rendering pipeline? The Graphics and GL classes give you access to the bare metal.

External Version Control Support
Unity Pro now supports an alternative way of saving metadata for better external version control. When enabled, version control systems such as Subversion, Perforce, or Bazaar can be used without losing import settings or references between assets.

C/C++/Objective-C Plugins Support
Have a custom native library that you absolutely must use? Use a C, C++ or Objective-C plugin to directly call into it. See plugin docs

Video Playback and Streaming
Import and play back videos. Stream them from the net. Put them onto any 3D surface, or display them in 2D on top of your game. Read more

Fully Fledged Streaming with Asset Bundles
Stream in anything to the web player or application using Unity's Streaming Asset Bundle features. Textures, animated models, complete or partial scenes, new missions and expansions, user-generated characters.

Script Access to Asset Pipeline
Get direct access to Unity's asset pipeline from scripts. Need a build machine that churns out builds 24/7? It's just a few lines of code.

No Unity Splash Screen or Watermark
Standalone games and iPhone games will not display the "Made with Unity" splash screen. Web player games will not display the 5 second Unity watermark.

As it stands the free version is much worse than the cracked 2.5 Pro

1st prize: Lite-C and Newton 2.17 by Vasilenko Vitaliy

Newton2 videos: http://tinyurl.com/NewtonVideos
LiteC+Newton2 discussion: http://tinyurl.com/NewtonWrapperDiscussion
Latest LiteC+Newton2 version(v23, from 29.10.2009): http://depositfiles.com/files/ae1l0tpro
Re: unity declares war! [Re: Quad] #296195
10/30/09 08:54
10/30/09 08:54
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
The situation is pretty interesting now I guess. In my opinion Unity Indie now gives headaches when thinking of lite-C full and the Extra edition as both are inferior and cost you money. Only the Com Edition still gives some nice competition especially with it offering nice shadows and a render-to-texture feature (while having quite some disadvantages too though) but again now costs quite a bunch...

But well let's see if the competition will lead to some advantages for the customer here... laugh

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de