by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, AndrewAMD), 1,292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #298457
11/15/09 08:41
11/15/09 08:41
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Hiya.

*shrug* What's the point? What's the next mission...you go around with a blunt object bashing puppies and kittens? *sigh* Some folks may find it "entertaining", I'd find it boring and pointless. I don't tend to like "real-life" based games anyway.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #298462
11/15/09 10:49
11/15/09 10:49
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: Paul_L_Ming
Hiya.

*shrug* What's the point? What's the next mission...you go around with a blunt object bashing puppies and kittens? *sigh* Some folks may find it "entertaining", I'd find it boring and pointless. I don't tend to like "real-life" based games anyway.

read the thread and try and understand the game before you comment, do you honestly think this scene was designed to be "fun".. if you dont tend to like reallife base games, i understand that but even games not based on reality try to do similar things to the immersion shown here and fail, we already know what the scene was meant for, it been said over and over in the thread...

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #298579
11/16/09 04:31
11/16/09 04:31
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline
Jaeger  Offline
J

Chicago
That was very cool. Even though I've never considered CoD to be an extremely realistic or immersing game, this seems to have some "depth" to it that other games don't. It makes you think about the situation and your morals, despite the fact that you know it's a game. I don't think it's a publicity stunt, not at all. It's one of the few masterpieces of gaming!

I don't really find it disturbing though. I've never been bothered by blood/gore. I'm more repulsed by spiders and cockroaches. laugh But definitely, not a mission for kids! :-/

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Jaeger] #299176
11/22/09 00:11
11/22/09 00:11
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Hiya.

I think my interpretation of what "immersion" and some others is obviously different. I meant no offense to those who find it disturbing or uncomfortable.

For me, "immersion" is when I get so into the game that for fleeting moments I 'forget' about the computer screen in front of me, the mouse in my hand and the keyboard at my fingertips. It usually doesn't last long, but it's cool! laugh

Maybe watching the video isn't such a good gauge of how immersive that game/mission/level would be, but after watching it twice, I don't think I'd get "immersed" in it based on what I saw. Probably because the game seems to be attempting to be set "in the real world"...yet you, as the player, and your 'team mates' can get shot several times and keep right on laying waste to the place. The police don't do anything either...at the very beginning, the bad guys walk out of an elevator, fully armed, and two cops turn to look at them. They stand there for about 2 seconds, staring. A few seconds later, 'you' (the player in this video) shoots his buddy in front of him...and all that happens is they guy looks back and says 'Check your fire'. The other officers behave like typical 'dumb AI'; one steps out from behind cover and stands there for a good second before the players team shoots him. Two more officers decide it's a good idea to take the *glass elevator* up to get the bad guys.

Again... *shrug*. Now, if they have a "realistic" setting, where the cops behave like they actually have training, and where if I (or a team mate) gets shot with automatic weapons, there are serious effects (likely death or at least shock and debilitation)...then maybe I'd get more "immersed" in it. At least with the 'realistic' settings on I'd be sweaty palmed and dry-eyed, extra cautions, and probably paranoid. But the way the video looked...to me, I might as well be playing DOOM with God-Mode on.

PS: Yet again, no offense to those who can really get into this kind of 'realistic setting' type games. I guess I'm just wired differently. I can't. DOOM, sure I can...because in it my mind already has accepted the "suspension of disbelief" of the setting. No 'realism' is implied.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #299184
11/22/09 03:32
11/22/09 03:32
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
keep in mind this isnt the full level, also keep in mind the difficulty the level is on, plus, those teammates WILL kill you if you fire on them, they wont for a single stray shot, cod is trying to mix whats cool and at the same time, make it more immersive, its immersive in the sense tht you feel your doing something wrong, other than that, logically it isnt all that 'real' nor did i say it was, i also dont get offended that easily wink

this video isnt the full mission also, because you get heavy resistance from swat later on, also, you may thin the reaction time for the guard at the elevator door was slow but in reality, i doubt regular guards keep guns at airports, turning around to look at elevator that i see every day but now i notice huge ass guns, i dont think my reaction could be anything significant, so it wasnt about the realism of the scene, was about the fact that the game actually made you feel bad[atleast the firsttime playing]

cod really isnt known for replayability, atleast not in my eyes and thats because they script almost all their events

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #300732
12/04/09 18:48
12/04/09 18:48
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline
Jaeger  Offline
J

Chicago
It's cool for what it's meant to be, and I'm not at all a CoD fan. Way too easy, way too short lived, and darkinferno is right, 0 replayability. On the other hand, I'm still playing combat/flight sims made 8-10yrs ago, because they ARE replayable, and everyone mods them. So they're just like new. But, I admit, CoD IS pretty fun... for a few hours at least, before I beat it on "hard mode". laugh

A lot of kiddies think CoD is realistic, and some even fancy themselves soldiers after playing it, lol. But it's NOT meant to be a sim. It's meant to be an accessible game that anyone can play, and which sucks you into the story. And that's what it does. So I think the devs hit right on their intended mark, and they will be smiling all the way to the bank. Next? There will be another one in six months, just watch! laugh

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Jaeger] #301653
12/12/09 15:42
12/12/09 15:42
México.
F
FcoElizalde Offline
FcoElizalde  Offline
F

México.
This reminds me of an article I read a time ago:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4255750.html

I do think this is for publicity, after all, remember the fuzz the AC 130 gunship level made for CoDMW1.
And I know there are people who were looking forward to this, too excited by the images of gunned people who didnt fought back, dont get me wrong, I dont think videogames would be determinant in an unmoral or irrational future, but dont be naive to think that everyone that sits behind a screen actualy knows how to sepparate the stimulus from a fictitional enviroment.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: FcoElizalde] #302488
12/19/09 20:59
12/19/09 20:59
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
I played MW2 yesterday and i was surprised they keep asking you at the beginning if you want to skip certain missions...

Then when i entered the Airport mission i remembered this thread. But to be honest, i didn't think the mission was that bad.

At first i thought *hm when i don't shoot at the people, they might notice i'm a "spy"*
So you just start shooting everything around you. After a while of getting tired of it i thought "i wonder if they even programed it that they will notice you if you dont shoot" so i stopped shooting the entire mission.

And while walking through the airport i often thought "hm those peoples models keep repeating a lot, so many of them have the same clothes" and other gamedesign-related questions.

After all it's just a game and i doubt it affects many people. I don't know if this missions count to the one that would have skipped if i accepted the question at the beginning but this one wasn't really.. "immersive"

The best mission so far was the snowmobile one grin I love snow/ice levels.

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #302489
12/19/09 21:01
12/19/09 21:01
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
it gets way better wink if you played cod4 story it's even better.

also if you are playing on pc id like to play multiplayer together.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: Quad] #302497
12/19/09 22:22
12/19/09 22:22
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Yes i am playing the story mode right now.

And no i have i just borrowed it for Xbox360 but i might consider getting it for the PC for the multiplayer mode (aiming on the Xbox is a pain in COD). So i might come back on this laugh
Prepare to have an easy enemy though tongue

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de