by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,310 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A little help/advise needed #299570
11/24/09 23:36
11/24/09 23:36
A
ApenasEu Offline OP
ApenasEu  Offline OP
A

So first of all i would like to give a big thank you to nowhere brain, with the help of his videos i did my first ok model

The smoothed model:

This is it for the use within 3DGS:

Thank you very much nowherebrain for those beautifull and sometimes humurous tutorials lol =D

So now before i start killing blender even further with my creations lol i have one little question that might or might not influence how i finish up my models.

I want to program a feature that you can select diferent clothes and accesories, i understand how to append diferent models at run time to move with other entities, but, for example a t-shirt would need to deform with the entity to appear that the model is wearing it, how exactly can i do this? I do not expect and not even ask that someone gives me a step by step, i like figuring stuff out, but with this im just completly out of ideas on how to do it, is there a way to do this?

I could for example copy the bones and bone animations for each individual mesh and make them animate as the main mesh does, is there some other way to do it? Some easier way that im failing to spot?
By all means point the errors of my way hehe

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: ApenasEu] #299571
11/24/09 23:53
11/24/09 23:53
USA, Florida
3dworld Offline
3dworld  Offline

USA, Florida
OK this is the how. It is not a easy way but it works for me before.
You will need to create the different clothes for your character with the same animation as your character and the script using ent_create and ent_remove to create and attach the cloth on your character during the game-play. Unfortunately I don't have any step by step guide for this.

I hope this help.

No matter what people tell you,  words and ideas can change the world.
Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: 3dworld] #299617
11/25/09 15:24
11/25/09 15:24
A
ApenasEu Offline OP
ApenasEu  Offline OP
A

Thanks for the answear. I guess my fear is founded i do have to do it the hard way... thanks again.

Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: ApenasEu] #300573
12/03/09 13:11
12/03/09 13:11
A
ApenasEu Offline OP
ApenasEu  Offline OP
A

I got another question, im still thinking of how to do this changing clothes thing, for the different animations i guess i can just copy the rig and animations from the main mesh and paste them on the clothe item so that they have the same animation, but do i add the clothe to the main mesh in the game or replace for example the torso if i put on a tshirt? i mean instead of overlaping 2 meshes just make a character made up of attached diferent meshes and when fitting stuff i just swap that part of the character with the diferent mesh so i conserve the visible triangles and no need for overlaping meshes, is this the way to do it? Im sorry in advance for being such a noob.

Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: ApenasEu] #300622
12/03/09 19:26
12/03/09 19:26
Chicago
J
Jaeger Offline
Jaeger  Offline
J

Chicago
Ehhh... Don't use geometric clothing... That's going to be PAINFUL. There's no sense in it. Plus, it will end up looking terrible. That is, unless you have some sort of soft-body physics engine, fluid/cloth dynamics engine, etc... And those aren't going to work with any degree of acceptable performance to get the desired effect (even if you had them).

I think you need to build in one "master" set of clothing to the models geometry, and rig it just like any other. The deformation of the body and clothing shall be one. You simply swap textures, and use shaders to get the realistic appearance, and make it mimic different types of cloth/material. That's the way it's done in games like GTA where you can buy new outfits and change clothes. I bet the Sims does the same thing. Everyone I know who has done something similar has just used texture tricks and special shaders.

I've, personally, never had a reason to do it myself, other than the code on the other end (HLSL and C/C++/C#). That's more of an "artsy" thing that other people do for me. wink I think your real problem will be "building in" a set of master clothing, since you've built the raw human anatomy. I've rarely seen that done for games. We don't do it either. We just build soldiers with the "base" of the uniform as a part of them. 'Add-ons' like helmets, weapons, etc are the only things that are really separate.

Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: Jaeger] #300657
12/03/09 23:17
12/03/09 23:17
A
ApenasEu Offline OP
ApenasEu  Offline OP
A

I dont understand what you mean by geometric clothing.
What i am thinking is now taking the base mesh of a human, and make clothes from him, so i duplicate faces and change those to be clothes, seen that in a couple of tutorials about blender wich im using, what i was thinking is like you are saying using one master animation and using that animation on all meshes so that they all match with the character, i actually also thought about doing something of a textute trick and just swap those, but for example between a shirt, a dress and a breastplate i don't see how that could be done effectively without changing the underlying mesh.

So, is there any reason why splitting the main mesh into different parts of the body say, breast, legs, feet, head, etc. all with the animation and deformation of a single mesh and only cut when its all final, any reason why it wouldnt work? I know i know little about all this im just trying to figure stuff out and i apreciate all the answers.

Last edited by ApenasEu; 12/03/09 23:19.
Re: A little help/advise needed [Re: ApenasEu] #300660
12/04/09 02:11
12/04/09 02:11
A
ApenasEu Offline OP
ApenasEu  Offline OP
A

So i went and tried out a real basic setup of what im speaking of to try and make a "proof of concept".

I frapsed it, here it is:

Proof of concept

What i did whas to take that model and make 6 different meshes, variants of it, 3 meshes only of the legs with some basic deformation to them and 3 of the chest, on clicking a key i change the models of the entity of the chest or legs to the desired one while the entitities continue to animate, other than the bug of the first key press where the legs disapear wich i cant figure out why (but bear in mind that was an experiment done in under 5m), it works well.

So other than complicating the movement and animation script of the entities is there any other downside that im failling to spot?

On the bright side theres also pros that i did not plan for, for example by having diferent entities for diferent parts of the body of a single actor i can detect where in the actors body it's being hit very easily.

Please do comment if im failling to see something.

EDIT: Also why i did the human as basis first, is because im just starting with modeling and animation and most tutorials teach how to model nude humanoids. Was trying to use some free models first to get some scripts together, but was stuck with too many limitations on animations, and if im going to animate something might aswell get something done by me, and also as i want to code in clothes change i also want the possibility for the model to be undressed, hence that base mesh.

Last edited by ApenasEu; 12/04/09 02:16.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de