by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
War Gauntlet - back from the dead #300775
12/05/09 01:37
12/05/09 01:37
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Yeah, so I was going to kill it but I didn't.

Anyway, as you've probably guessed from the title of this thread, my old project War Gauntlet is back from the dead. Actually, after I made that fateful post some weeks ago, it wasn't really dead for very long. You see, after some terribly long inactivity from the other forum members on my old thread, I figured it was best to go back to the shadows and create a functional demo of the game for you to play yourselves, since graphically I have nothing to show.

Anyway, if you visit the game's website at http://gauntletgame.110mb.com/, you can find a nifty little alpha to play. The game comes with an external launcher which you'll need if you want to run the game without any command-line messiness.

Make sure to read the included readme file in the archive, and if you have any questions, comments, or constructive criticism whose answers are not included therein, just put it down here.

If you're at work and can't download the demo, then you should at least look at my latest youtube video, as it demonstrates the weapons that I have currently worked into the script. You can find that at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BAZNg3mOOM

Cheerio,
Redeemer

Last edited by Redeemer; 12/05/09 01:38.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Redeemer] #300777
12/05/09 02:14
12/05/09 02:14
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
cncs32.dll is missing from the archive.

edit: found the dll from somewhere else.

cannot try it with someone else right now but so far it's great, only you could tweak jumping a little so that player jumps a bit further, and you can speed up weapon changing.

Last edited by Quadraxas; 12/05/09 02:21.

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Quad] #300778
12/05/09 02:23
12/05/09 02:23
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Shoot. I knew I was forgetting something. Glad to see you figured it out, though.

For everyone else, just download the file on this site and install to your windows/system folder for it to run.
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=6&id=7

If you can't get the launcher to work, you can also boot the game from the command line:

-sv : server mode, must also be run with client mode to play
-cl : client mode
-ip : ip address to connect to (client mode only)
-level [n] : where [n] is the level number you want to play. only specified if -sv is selected
-pl [s] : where [s] is your name. 16 characters is the suggested maximum.
-dm, tdm, or ctf : the gamemode. only specified if -sv is selected.

Next time I'll remember to include the necessary DLLs in the archive so you don't have to download them separately.

Also, thanks for the feedback, Quadraxas. I can easily do both.

Last edited by Redeemer; 12/05/09 02:25.

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Redeemer] #300798
12/05/09 12:35
12/05/09 12:35
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
just watched the video:
awesome weapon style, don't change that. two things need work: the level (I'm assuming it's a test level: "since graphically I have nothing to show").
I would really simplyfy it: better geometry, but less detail in the texture, it would give it a nice fun style.
Secondly, I don't like the last gun's effect (in the video), you should really change that to fade out much faster. It looks weird when you can walk through a beam that you just shot.
sounds and models match nicely, so do the weapon effects.

How about a rocket launcher and mines?

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Germanunkol] #300819
12/05/09 15:38
12/05/09 15:38
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the levels are all pretty much test levels, just to showcase what the game can currently do. The "DM_Granary" map is actually a level that was *supposed* to be a part of the single player campaign, but I have since yanked it out and have turned it into a semi-functional DM map. That's why there's an overuse of invisible borders... Ugh. I wouldn't play on this map if you're going to try the game with friends.

"CTF_Process" is the map you see in the video. It too is a pretty simple map I slapped together, mostly because I wanted a brighter CTF map for you guys to play on. It, along with "DM_Lavacaves", is probably the most functional map in the demo. In fact, I would go so far to say that even if you're just playing DM, play it on "CTF_Process".

Rocket launcher, mines, and by my brother's request, a plasma shotgun just like the one in crimsonland. Gotcha. I can also speed up the fading on that particle beam.

I was originally going to make the beam create a snowfall effect, but I figured that determining where to accurately place hundreds of little particles along the beam was going to take more time than was worth it.

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Redeemer] #300831
12/05/09 17:48
12/05/09 17:48
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
id like to get my hands on that code as single player code. maybe we could set something up, i see much potential in this actually...

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: sPlKe] #300835
12/05/09 18:59
12/05/09 18:59
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Quote:
id like to get my hands on that code as single player code. maybe we could set something up, i see much potential in this actually...

Glad to see that "in the vein of quake" isn't quite so far out. laugh

If this project became a community project or something, I would be thrilled. I'm not looking for money here, I just want to do this for fun!

Yeah, so I can't really pay anybody anything. I'm just a teenager with a passion for programming. I really want this game to come alive, but it costs so much money just to get some decent contributions. I don't have a job, you know. Everything I buy comes from taking care of cats and doing chores around the house. And I don't get to take care of cats all the time, you know...

Last edited by Redeemer; 12/05/09 21:04.

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Redeemer] #300847
12/05/09 21:02
12/05/09 21:02
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Well, just found out that for one-time uploads to Rapidshare, my file can only be downloaded 10 times before they let anybody else download it. So I created a "collector's account" so you guys can download it as many times as you want... Stupid rapidshare.

At any rate, as one of the features of having a free account, my files can be stored in a list that can be accessed whenever anyone visits my user page.

I've changed the link on the project's home page to point to this page. You can find it at:
http://rapidshare.com/users/DSHWHR
Sorry for the cryptic name, they wouldn't let me change it. That's just one of the cons of being a freeloader, I guess.

Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: Redeemer] #300873
12/06/09 10:48
12/06/09 10:48
Toronto
MadMark Offline
User
MadMark  Offline
User

Toronto
So, what do you need, Redeemer? I'm a grampa who likes to do 3D modelling as a hobby, and wishes he could program. There are many like me around here that might be able to contribute...

Cheers!
Mark

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.
Re: War Gauntlet - back from the dead [Re: MadMark] #300889
12/06/09 16:47
12/06/09 16:47
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Many things, but I mostly need:

-Textures w/ or w/o normal maps. I currently use the standard.wad textures, which have the worst resolution in the world and are used everywhere. Any textures are fine: this game doesn't have much of a theme. Whatever is cool, feel free to do it.

-Models of anything: furniture, flora, monsters, weapons, space marines, you name it. Once again: whatever's cool, do it.

-Maps: space stations, moon bases, deserted planets, ancient otherworldly ruins, and anything else you can think of. The game will be like UT in that many of the maps won't be related to one another. However, I should note that the game will be on a small scale with a 4 player limit (yes, 4 players: this isn't going to be an MMOFPS), thus the game will be great for small LAN parties and stuff.

I should take the time to note that the cooperative gamemode will probably be like the the Unreal game mode "Invasion": play on a multiplayer map, fighting off large amounts of alien enemies with your friends until the time expires or something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de