by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, exile, Ayumi), 836 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Crayon Physics [Re: amy] #304905
01/11/10 19:30
01/11/10 19:30
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
It just doesn't seem right to me for the developer(s) of crayon physics to receive an IGOTY award when their game is nothing new, nothing special, and nothing really interesting. I saw the video of the game on their website, it's not like they did anything revolutionary with the concept of "use physics and drawing to solve the puzzle!". If it was the first of its kind, then I can imagine it winning an award or two, or at least the respect of many players/developers. Otherwise, the only thing I see here is one of the first commercialized versions of a physics drawing game.

I suppose this is just boiling down to my personal opinion, but I'm sure there were better nominees that deserved the title of IGOTY.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Crayon Physics [Re: Redeemer] #304934
01/12/10 00:30
01/12/10 00:30
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
This is what I found so far:

http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/general/wanted-constructive-criticism

This means th3e first prototype of crayon physics is from Friday, June 1st, 2007, means about 2,5 years ago.

On the page of http://complex.ovh.org/ I found only this date, but this doesn't mean that he couldn't have published it earlier:
"PhysicDraw (Download: Mirror1 - Mirror2) - Last release: 03/16/08"

I suppose 03/16/08 means 1,75 years ago, but it is possible that he produced this engine/game earlier.

++++

Found this site with the names of both developers:

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/sitemap/developers/

Here there profiles:

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Sphax/

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Petri%20Purho/

Sadly, these pages don't shad any light on whether who developed first.

(Petri Purho has a video in his profile which looks like quite some fun. I like its sort of mechanic and graphics.)

Re: Crayon Physics [Re: Pappenheimer] #304936
01/12/10 00:57
01/12/10 00:57
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
so let me get this straight, because you use the same genre of game that makes you a thief? maybe the wonderful end of the world by dejobaan games should have never been made then right? or maybe mario should be considered the only platform game that was original. Is every free roam game a GTA knockoff, or skate game a THPS knockoff? maybe WOW should owe everquest royalties for being a fantasy based MMORPG.............

Wow some people are just plain dumb, huh? grin

Re: Crayon Physics [Re: Redeemer] #304937
01/12/10 01:27
01/12/10 01:27
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Crayon Physics was first. The developer, Petri, is a guy who used to run a blog about make-a-game-a-week, and was experimenting with all sorts of ideas, coming up with great concepts for games every week. On June 1st, 2007 he made Crayon Physics and posted it on his blog here:

http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/games/crayon

Due to the great response for his game, he decided to improve it which resulted in Crayon Physics Deluxe a year later. He started selling his game for 10-15 bucks, but I guess sales weren't that good which pushed him into the "pay what you want" offer.

That other game is made with MMF2 and came between Crayon Physics and Crayon Physics Deluxe. I'm guessing it was Crayon Physics that influenced the MMF2 developer to make his game (which is why he's not complaining about any of that himself)

Btw, interestingly, even though CP had great potential, somehow the full game didn't amaze me as much as I expected it to. It was still worth every penny (when it actually had a price) but I enjoyed Armadillo Run infinitely more (another great physics puzzle game. Give it a try..)

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: Crayon Physics [Re: LarryLaffer] #304940
01/12/10 01:37
01/12/10 01:37
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
so let me get this straight, because you use the same genre of game that makes you a thief? maybe the wonderful end of the world by dejobaan games should have never been made then right? or maybe mario should be considered the only platform game that was original. Is every free roam game a GTA knockoff, or skate game a THPS knockoff? maybe WOW should owe everquest royalties for being a fantasy based MMORPG.............

Nope, I don't care if anybody develops a game that's essentially a knock-off of another game. At the time it just bugged me how this guy had won such an award, when it seemed to me that his game was almost exactly the same as PhysicDraw.

But since nobody really knows for sure who came up with the idea first (and it seems that Petri came up with it on his own), the issue here is resolved. Sorry for the trouble.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Crayon Physics [Re: Redeemer] #304941
01/12/10 01:40
01/12/10 01:40
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
now that makes a bit more sense.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de