by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, ChrstphFr), 941 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic #304917
01/11/10 21:06
01/11/10 21:06
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Let it begin. cool

Here's where I stand: Linux is the ultimate operating system. HUGE free software library, all with the source code exposed (so you can make software that you KNOW will work on your rig) literally hundreds of distros, awesome terminal, great security, and the ability to choose what kind of GUI you want to use.

The only reason all of my computers don't use Linux is because 3DGS doesn't support it. frown I don't play many new games any more, just Doom, Quake, and the occasional Bio Shock (which I play on my Xbox)

If Microsoft ever releases DirectX for Linux (which is unlikely) then Linux will be the ultimate gaming platform, guaranteed.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Redeemer] #304922
01/11/10 21:30
01/11/10 21:30
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
HUGE open source free software library thing is not linux exclusive thing since you can get that source and compile it for win.

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Quad] #304924
01/11/10 21:40
01/11/10 21:40
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
That's true, I didn't think about that. :\

One perk of Linux, though, is the ability to access software repositories through applications like Synaptic, so you can browse a selection of thousands of applications+libraries+games for your machine very easily. On top of that Linux has the ability to automatically update all the software on your PC in one command, which is pretty nifty.

Last edited by Redeemer; 01/11/10 21:41.

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Redeemer] #304926
01/11/10 22:01
01/11/10 22:01
innsbruck, austria
achaziel Offline
Serious User
achaziel  Offline
Serious User

innsbruck, austria

both systems have their (dis)advantages. it's just a matter of taste and purpose after all, gamers are happy (more or less) with their windows, everybody else who knows what he's doing with his pc is happy with linux.

and those people who like it simple in every aspect are happy with macs. simple computers for simple people. also for the rich ones who can afford to throw a lot of money out of the window for something apple likes to call "design".

Yeah, but... Who is Lu?
Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: achaziel] #304931
01/11/10 23:09
01/11/10 23:09
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Here is my 2 cents on this whole topic. Before I get into it though, a few notes:
1) My front end systems are all windows or mac based (Win XP, Win Vista, OSX)
2) Backend servers are a mix of windows server 2003 and Fedora Core 10/11/12, (I have also worked with the following: mythdora/mythbuntu, ubuntu, debian, suse, asterisk linux PBX)
4) I enjoy all the OSes equally, they all have their place and their uses, and would never give up any of them for the world.

Now, having used and worked with all 3 systems and they each have their uses, their advantages and disadvantages. For front end systems outside of the home, linux is not adequate (And sometimes even in the home it isn't going to cut it). Its not the lack of features, the fact that it is open source, or anything else like this, its the fact that it is spread too thin. There are too many distros, too many different ways to go about setting it up, too many factions. Its a mess and a quagmire for a novice user to get into and start running with. Yes it is more secure, but thats because of security through obscurity (Only somewhat, in the server world, it is more secure than windows, its just that for virus makers, malware writers and such, its not profitable. Since it isn't profitable, they don't do it.

The Mac is a great system, if you are a multimedia fiend and need something that is very efficient. Problem with it is hardware lock in. You can't get a mac with no OS, or even windows installed, its not an option. I don't care who it is, vendor lock in is stupid and not worth the headaches.

Windows... ahh windows... it kinda gets a bad rap, some of it is deserved though, it isn't without. It has tons of issues, tons of problems, but how many of these issues are in other systems in different forms?? We don't know because vendors don't target other oses (There is no point since the other oses are such a small portion of the market), primary focus goes to windows. I have to say though, it is definitely the least secure and most targetted with good reason, but its not because the OS sucks. If the OS really did suck and linux/mac were better, then we would all be using those OSes on our desktops and not windows. Windows dominates the market for a reason, and it isn't because it was first. It has a certain something about it that relates to the user base. Ask yourself why windows is on the majority of computers out there (Even though it shouldn't necessarily be there).

Yes, with windows we could run around for days on end bitching about all its issues, but whats the point? Really, they are all here to stay, so, we can spend days, years (not like we havn't already), but nothing is going to change really...

Regards,
Ayrus

suprised my account is still active....
Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: achaziel] #304932
01/11/10 23:10
01/11/10 23:10
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

I could not even get Java installed in my Linux.

And I dont want to spend an hour to figure out the process.

Linux is for freaks, and not for the common public.
Thats why the usability standards will not reach
Windows usability in a near future.

And Mac/Apple is just too.. expensive and restrictive

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Damocles_] #304939
01/12/10 01:29
01/12/10 01:29
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
One of the reasons Windows dominates the market is because the big dogs that release popular software (ie multimedia companies like games, music, art, etc.) are too afraid to move onto the Linux platform.

The second reason Windows dominates the market is the fact that nobody is willing to learn the better system, that is Linux. The trouble with the average electronics consumer is that he/she is unwilling to spend time to figure out his/her device before he runs off with it and loads it up with viruses. People like devices like iPods and iPhones because they are so simple to use: they don't need to read that darn-ol' instruction manual. They don't have to educate themselves about it's features and abilities: it's all there in one button, and it does everything they need it to do, no questions asked.

Now, this would be fine and great, but the trouble is: computers are complex, you do need to learn how to use them before you run off with them, and you must be responsible enough to maintain them and keep them from wearing down, or it will not function.

Now, I am definitely not in favor of trying to turn the PC into some kind of elitist tool that only trained experts can use: many times, simplicity is a good thing. (hence the large number of GUIs that have been developed on top of Linux) But too many companies like Apple and Microsoft like to project the idea that your computer is nothing more than a pile of bolts that does whatever you want it to do, no problem. Ok, they admit that viruses are trouble, but with their automatic "Defensive System" it's no problem... Really!

Like I said, computers are complex machines. Your manual (and the online community) is your warranty: use at your own risk.

The Linux community, unlike Apple and Microsoft, understands these things and the Open Source community actively produces great, free software that can help you run your computer efficiently and safely... If you take the time to learn it.

Yeah, change is a painful process that many people are just not willing to endure. But sometimes, change is for the good and unless you want to stay where you are, you have no choice but to work with it.

I cannot tell you how many times my Dad has had to re-setup our main Windows family machine. He would use the best firewall, and he even setup two outer firewalls, but year after year we got hit with viruses. Eventually the computer would just hit a point where it was unusable, and we would have to start the process all over again. We have many other internet enabled PCs in our house, all with Linux on them, and we've never had these problems. So just now my dad has finally made the switch on our "Windows" machine, and so far it has worked like a charm.

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Redeemer] #304944
01/12/10 02:10
01/12/10 02:10
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

Wrong logic: a system is not better, just because its more
complicated to use.
Linux actively tries to hinder casual users to operate it.
Even installing normal programs requires weired command-line inputs. Althoug a simple graphic installer would be written in
a few hours. (even minutes)
There is no logic reason to do so.
There is no reason to (require to) use command-shells at all!

The system has simply less viruses, because virus programmers
want to target the more popular platforms (Windows),
and there are more Windoes platforms that can spread the viruses.

You could use an Amiga, and are perfectly save from new viruses.

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: Damocles_] #304947
01/12/10 02:42
01/12/10 02:42
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Quote:
Linux is for freaks, and not for the common public.
Ah, that's why Linux rules in the mobile phone, tablet PC and all kinds of consumer hardware (TVs, set top boxes, navigation systems,...) markets. Because it isn't for the common public? tongue

Re: The big Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac topic [Re: amy] #304949
01/12/10 02:52
01/12/10 02:52
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
I cannot tell you how many times my Dad has had to re-setup our main Windows family machine.
Perhaps he was doing something wrong, mate. I can't remember ever picking up a virus. People just download and run whatever, from wherever. That doesn't mean I don't use anti-virus, but it never picks anything up.

As a gamer and game dever: PC ftw, because of DirectX. Easy as that.

Windows has enough market that few products can afford to not be compatible with it.

I can see appeal in Mac because it comes with some nice stuff, but as a PC user I like to choose what I have (a freedom Linux users enjoy even more).

I'm Jibb Smart and I'm a PC.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de