by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: mikaldinho] #311447
02/19/10 20:43
02/19/10 20:43
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Hehe.

Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: Joquan] #311534
02/20/10 12:29
02/20/10 12:29
Norfolk,England
mikaldinho Offline
mikaldinho  Offline

Norfolk,England
well yeh it could though couldnt it? there would be so many confused people!

Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: mikaldinho] #312001
02/22/10 18:30
02/22/10 18:30
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline
User
Ichiro  Offline
User

Massachusetts, USA
Actually, in the US, a company or individual can file suit against you for anything, whether it's a legitimate claim or not. Larger or more aggressive companies may threaten you with legal action or a Cease and Desist if they're trying to protect their trademarks.

An example of this: About eight years ago, the trademark holder of a well-known brand threatened us because we were comparing our game to theirs. They wanted us to take down the entire game, so we brought out the big guns -- our lawyer shot back that our usage was completely legal, and to go piss up a rope. They did, but we took down that comparison just to be safe. Had we not shot back with a lawyer, the other company would likely not have sued -- they'd have sent over a formal cease and desist, then made trouble with our digital distributors (who would have just delisted our game). The bottom line is that they'd have made trouble for us.

> every name we think of, we can type it into google and see some idiotic wanna-be site with the same name

If you're finding these names, you don't want 'em anyway. laugh Here's our rules for naming games:

Make it remarkable. Aaaaa!'s unusual name (www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa) gave the press an extra something to talk about. People remembered it.

It's okay if people hate it. Most people thought Aaaaa! was cool, and that it conveyed the fun we had in writing the game. Some people thought it was the stupidest name ever, and said we should stop writing games. Arguments have popped up on message boards because of this. We broke Steam because of the length. Discussion leads to buzz.

Make it visually interesting. "Halo, Doom, Hello Kitty, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, and Mass Effect walk into a bar..."
It's okay if it's an odd name to say. I was talking to a group of students, and one of them started primal-screaming the game's name when I asked if anyone knew what we were working on. Everyone laughed. Life was good.

Make it descriptive. AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity pretty much sums up that it's action game about falling. "ooo! ooO! oOO! OOO! -- Grab a Loop and Mix a Beat" is the working title of our next game, which is clearly about growing Cheerios. (Oops. Maybe not.)

If it feels comfortable, trash it. Write the name out. Say it. Roll it around on your tongue. Savor it. Pass it back and forth amongst everyone. Does it feel like a name that can stand up there alongside the rest? Does your team find it a comfortable name? Does it really grow on you after you think about it for a while? Trash it, and go with something else.

Your mileage may vary, and you might go with different rules -- but a good, unique, notable name has helped our most recent game get press coverage.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: Ichiro] #312008
02/22/10 19:28
02/22/10 19:28
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
good, read, but am more bothered about company names laugh atm and such

Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: darkinferno] #312010
02/22/10 19:37
02/22/10 19:37
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline
User
Ichiro  Offline
User

Massachusetts, USA
You might establish different guidelines for your company name, but my point is that you have the opportunity to be creative in naming anything. It doesn't have to be long or silly, but if you pick something remarkable and interesting, the press -- and gamers -- will talk about it.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: Ichiro] #312016
02/22/10 20:12
02/22/10 20:12
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Creative naming has to be the reason for this.

Somewhat related: While trying to find the above article again, I tried several searchterms with no luck, since neither "mad3" (it's "MAED"), nor "zomb1es" (its "Z0MB1ES") worked. I had to go with "!!1" (probably one of my more unusual search-queries...)

I agree with all points Ichiro made, even though the "oo"-name might not get quite the same attention as "Aaa" did - you know, the second time won't have the same impact as the first, and all that.

And... always be careful of legal advice you get on the internet from people like us. I'm not saying that everything here is wrong - simply because I don't know (and also maybe because I didn't read it all). I'm not a lawyer, but most people here aren't. So maybe some of us miss that peculiar decision that one court ruled in 1982.
The bottom line is, if you really REALLY want to be safe, then ask a lawyer.
Law simply is no fun, unless you're playing Ace Attorney, in which case it is awesome fun (for anyone not being accused of anything, of course, in which case it sucks since you're pretty much screwed)

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: Error014] #312022
02/22/10 20:23
02/22/10 20:23
behind this enternet window
zeusk Offline
zeusk  Offline

behind this enternet window
my game companies name is A◦ Games (A-Celcius Games) i Thought of it when i was 15 and it just stuck. I think its a pretty cool name grin

(they wont display the celcius charecter near the A!)

Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: zeusk] #312025
02/22/10 20:46
02/22/10 20:46
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Mine is Joquan Games Studios. I thought of it back in '05 and I turned it into a tribute to Jagex.

Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: Joquan] #312072
02/23/10 03:28
02/23/10 03:28
DEEP 13
badapple Offline
User
badapple  Offline
User

DEEP 13
@ichiro

good read and good advise , game names are very
important. but touched on very little in the forum

also google is your best friend when it comes to finding out if the name you want to use is taken and by who or what,
but also if your stuck thinking of a good name , something i like to do is search in an online thesaurus for certain key words in my title i dont care for to find other words with the same meaning but might sound better to me , or send my mind in new directions.

Last edited by badapple; 02/23/10 03:44.
Re: wannabe websites :D [Re: badapple] #312108
02/23/10 10:51
02/23/10 10:51
Norfolk,England
mikaldinho Offline
mikaldinho  Offline

Norfolk,England
i used mikesgames productions. mike is my nickname (my name is michael) and i added the games because it is what i do. i also added the productions as it sounds much more proffesional.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de