Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 989 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Immortality [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #317434
03/31/10 17:29
03/31/10 17:29
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
I am going to become immortal when I go to heaven. Everyone who goes to heaven is immortal. And it will never become boring. Time will not exist in heaven. And no discussions about "No religion in game design" because I won't hear it.

Re: Immortality [Re: Joquan] #317731
04/02/10 01:22
04/02/10 01:22
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
youre so gonna bite your ass when you realize there is no heaven...

immortality sucks. living longer, now thats something id like to have, but being immortal sucks. is impossible anyway, when all your molecules are destroyed youre dead. if you have no brain, you are dead. that simple. thus, immortal always means not aging or dying of natural causes. getting sucked into a black hole created by chuck norris even kills chuck norris, but only because he wants to prove the point that a black hole created by chuck norris even kills chuck norris.

Re: Immortality [Re: sPlKe] #317736
04/02/10 02:25
04/02/10 02:25
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
I feel sorry for you. What a blatant disregard for truth. All of us will become immortal eventually. Whether or not you would enjoy it, is up to you. Choose paradise or pain. There is no third or other choice.

Re: Immortality [Re: Joquan] #317749
04/02/10 08:43
04/02/10 08:43
Germany, Passau
AlexDeloy Offline
AlexDeloy  Offline

Germany, Passau
Hm first let me quote Tim Minchin

Quote:

Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.

And back to topic:
If you would live for 1000s of years I bet your brain would run out of capacity some day. So from this point on you could experience forgotten things new, might help a bit against getting bored laugh

Re: Immortality [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #319251
04/13/10 15:18
04/13/10 15:18
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
Imagine this: By some mysterious cause X you gain immortality. Time passes by and you have done all sorts of things on Earth, tried everything - maybe even managed to bed every girl you dreamt of. By this time, humanity probably will have developed proper interstellar propulsion systems and hence you venture out into the unknowing darkness. As millions and millions of years pass by you get to see all the wonders of the universe, you visit the Horsehead nebula, drink Johnny Walker with aliens from Betelgeuse, Jump through a wormhole butt-naked...

And now it's 5 trillions years later. You did everything there is to do, you went everywhere you can go. Met every celebrity there is and celebrities that were thanks to a timemachine/holodeck.

Now what?

For existence potentially being of infinite nature as well, I have no doubt in my mind that you would get bored quickly or even ever. 5 trillion year is a lot for someone that's not immortal, but for someone living basically for eternity it's quite literally nothing.

I think the idea that life is more worth when it's not infinite might very well be untrue as well, for it's actually the more memorable memories that count when it comes to the emotional experience of life itself. Not the fact that you may one day not live anymore. :-p

I do think the idea of immortality sounds great, especially as a severally increased lifespan (ie. literally infinite) really provides one with the ability to do a whole lot of otherwise impossible things.

You're still bound to change and progress or degradation of cultures, planets, life and so forth though, so it's not like you'll end up living an unrestricted life.

What if a culture decides to capture you as their 'God', holding you captive for thousands of years? Immortality obviously isn't the same as having unlimited physical, mental or 'magical' powers.

The immortality factor might not always be positive, but the same holds true for mortal life.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Immortality [Re: AlexDeloy] #319257
04/13/10 15:26
04/13/10 15:26
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: AlexDeloy
Hm first let me quote Tim Minchin

Quote:

Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.

And back to topic:
If you would live for 1000s of years I bet your brain would run out of capacity some day. So from this point on you could experience forgotten things new, might help a bit against getting bored laugh

Actually nope, not at all. laugh You'd simply forget about past experiences and memories. The brain can't literally become full, it will just prioritize the memories and literally forget about the rest. On a daily basis this is the case already and it wouldn't have to adapt to eternal life at all.

I'm pretty sure an immortal being would (slowly but steadily) come to perceive events in the world as much less important to remember than someone who would only live for 50 to a 100 years or so.

When it comes to the total gross of knowledge ever gathered or developed, you'd have to rely on some kind of data storing technology if you want to preserve technological advancements made over many thousands or even millions of years, for your own personal benefit.

It's pretty questionable how much of a priority that would get when one is immortal though. For example, a neat old-timer car is nice, but compared to the flying car of the future that holds perhaps anti-gravity drives and so on.. what would it be worth?

I'm sure there's a lot we can simply forget about without ever feeling sorry about it. wink

Originally Posted By: Joquan
I feel sorry for you. What a blatant disregard for truth. All of us will become immortal eventually. Whether or not you would enjoy it, is up to you. Choose paradise or pain. There is no third or other choice.

The same kind of blatantness you're exposing your opinion by though! It's actually stupid to consider the afterlife theory of your religion as truth in the sense that word was actually meant; truthful, actual, factual, tangible, potentially reproducible and so on.

It's plain arrogant to think there is no third choice or fourth choice, just like it's actually pretty damn arrogant to think of your view as superior somehow... just because you're a convinced religious person.

I respect your view, don't get me wrong, but I do not respect these kinds of attitudes so much. Why impose your belief onto people like that? Especially when your main argument will always be that faith is required to understand (which from a more neutral point of view makes no rational sense whatsoever, but that aside).

It creates the obvious issue of a conditional truth. That in itself can not actually even be a real truth. It would just mean the exclusion or ignorance of the potential REAL truth. It's also really just an over-obvious but admittedly clever mechanism of self-preservation of certain ideas.

Quote:
getting sucked into a black hole created by chuck norris even kills chuck norris, but only because he wants to prove the point that a black hole created by chuck norris even kills chuck norris.

Physical immortality really isn't that impossible. It's possible for organisms to not age, but still reach a certain size and maturity. The whole dying thing has been an evolutionary development, quite useful too, but I think technology in the near-future will really increase both our lives and the chance of finding a way to become virtually immortal.

I'd consider potential progress like that somewhat inevitable, even though the future literally is unwritten and anything might happen.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Immortality [Re: PHeMoX] #320950
04/26/10 00:59
04/26/10 00:59
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Quote:
The same kind of blatantness you're exposing your opinion by though! It's actually stupid to consider the afterlife theory of your religion as truth in the sense that word was actually meant; truthful, actual, factual, tangible, potentially reproducible and so on.

It's plain arrogant to think there is no third choice or fourth choice, just like it's actually pretty damn arrogant to think of your view as superior somehow... just because you're a convinced religious person.

I respect your view, don't get me wrong, but I do not respect these kinds of attitudes so much. Why impose your belief onto people like that? Especially when your main argument will always be that faith is required to understand (which from a more neutral point of view makes no rational sense whatsoever, but that aside).

It creates the obvious issue of a conditional truth. That in itself can not actually even be a real truth. It would just mean the exclusion or ignorance of the potential REAL truth. It's also really just an over-obvious but admittedly clever mechanism of self-preservation of certain ideas.

This is not religion, it is truth.

Is it arrogant to believe the truth?

Because God tells us to.

That is completely wrong.

Re: Immortality [Re: Joquan] #321013
04/26/10 16:53
04/26/10 16:53
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Ultimately, what this boils down to is personal belief. Depending upon what you believe, you may have a completely different world view from someone else, and a completely different perspective on truth. This doesn't mean you are right about your perceptions of the world.

Here's something interesting we should think about. One can only understand something in comparison to something else. If there is nothing to base understanding on, there is no understanding at all. For example, a blind man is always "seeing" the color black. However, he does not know it, and he doesn't know what "black" is, because he can't compare it to any other color. If he could see two colors, black and blue, then he could understand them both, but ONLY in relation to each other.

Our human perceptions of truth work the same way. We can only understand truth through our world view. We obtain a world view through faith. Everyone has faith, or belief, in something. For example, most people believe that the universe really exists. We are not able to prove this "fact", but we believe it nonetheless. Through this fact, we are able to derive other information: the sciences and laws of our universe. We are able to understand this universe and the world we live in, but only through faith.

Of course, the human mind wanders. We wonder that, if we do exist, where did we come from? Some people believe that the universe is an eternal entity, and ultimately we were never created. They believe we have always existed. Others believe that the universe is a finite entity. At some time, it didn't exist, and then it did. Eventually, they believe, we will go away. This opens up another question, where are we headed, but we will get to that later.

So, back to the original question: where did we come from? Well, that is a question that can only be answered through more conjecture. Some believe that we came from nothing. They believe that there was a massive explosion many billions of years ago that spawned the universe as we know it. Others believe that the universe was created through divine being(s).

Now, if we believe that the universe was created through a divine being, then we can learn this fact:

-We are totally accountable to our creator(s) for our actions.

Well, what does this tell us? It tells us that truth is whatever this being tells us it is. If we don't do it, then we must face judgment.

Notice that EVERYTHING we have learned has been totally grounded on unprovable facts. These unprovable facts have a name: they are known as postulates. And they are completely necessary to understanding the universe.

Now, my opinion:

I believe that between 6,000-10,000 years ago, God created the heavens and the earth. I believe that man sinned against this God when he disobeyed him. I believe that we deserved eternal punishment, but through His amazing grace, we were saved from His eternal wrath.

I believe that truth can only be found in the complete word of the living God, the Bible.

You don't have to believe this, but I do.

"I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly." Psalm 40:10

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Immortality [Re: PHeMoX] #321036
04/26/10 18:40
04/26/10 18:40
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline OP
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
PLEASE don't turn this into a religion topic. I really enjoy discussing immortality. The means by which it was achieved is pretty unimportant. Whether by science, genetic mutation or godly blessing. It doesn't matter. In this topic I want to know your take on Immortality, not whether God will have mercy upon our sorry asses if/when/after/before/while we die.

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
For existence potentially being of infinite nature as well, I have no doubt in my mind that you would get bored quickly or even ever. 5 trillion year is a lot for someone that's not immortal, but for someone living basically for eternity it's quite literally nothing.

I think the idea that life is more worth when it's not infinite might very well be untrue as well, for it's actually the more memorable memories that count when it comes to the emotional experience of life itself. Not the fact that you may one day not live anymore. :-p

I do think the idea of immortality sounds great, especially as a severally increased lifespan (ie. literally infinite) really provides one with the ability to do a whole lot of otherwise impossible things.

You're still bound to change and progress or degradation of cultures, planets, life and so forth though, so it's not like you'll end up living an unrestricted life.

What if a culture decides to capture you as their 'God', holding you captive for thousands of years? Immortality obviously isn't the same as having unlimited physical, mental or 'magical' powers.

The immortality factor might not always be positive, but the same holds true for mortal life.

THANK YOU! Finally someone who takes the opposing side! laugh

However, my question would still stand. Maybe not after 5 trillion years, not 100 trillion, or maybe not even after 10 googol years. But at some point, you would have done everything there is to do... with a lot of complaining in between because to do everything can be quite boring at times. Like I quoted in the beginning, "To an immortal, searching every corner of the Universe will make as much sense as examining every blade of grass on Earth makes to us.".

Maybe I should change my question to "What would you do if you were immortal?" hoping for an answer for an activity one could do for eternity.

Maybe play God for a few millenia... who knows.

Immortality is a weird thing, but you are right, it is all subjective. Five trillion years might seem like a lot to us, but to someone who literally has all the time in the universe it might just be as little as a heartbeat for us.

Interesting would be to just "hang in there" until the lifespan of electrons ends and then watch the night sky as the lights go out one by one. That surely would be something worth seeing.

And here's another question: Would a (immortal) partner make eternity more fun or less?

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Immortality [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #321088
04/27/10 02:33
04/27/10 02:33
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Redeemer, I agree with your beliefs.

Michael, this whole board is for "discussing infinity". Theism means the belief that there is one God. Theism is correct, atheism is not. So really, we have the right to talk about whatever we wish here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite