Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, ozgur, AbrahamR, wdlmaster), 849 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: qwerty823] #27761
05/23/04 03:30
05/23/04 03:30
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Probably so. I think the "fake physics" he's thinking about is from the last AUM, which has a bug, since it was done with pro. Although you can fake it by alternating "who" gets the object each frame, but only one object per frame.

Mmmm, so this mean it IS possible? Does anyone know how to switch this registration then, with using similar methods described in AUM? I thought actually that that's the bug in the AUM code !!?!?!! Haven't tried anything like this though, so...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: PHeMoX] #27762
05/23/04 05:58
05/23/04 05:58
Virginia, USA
qwerty823 Offline
Senior Developer
qwerty823  Offline
Senior Developer

Virginia, USA
Well, the way George made the demo, he basically had the physics objects far enough apart that there would only be really one active at a time, but you could kind of do two at a time, by splitting the time for each entity between two (or more).

Kind of like this, I think:

Frame 1
Entity 1, gets physics, does its thing, releases physics
Entity 2, does nothing, or just uses ent_move

Frame 2
Entity 2, gets physics, does its thing, releases physics
Entity 1, does nothing, or just uses ent_move

Frame 3
Same as frame 1

Basically each entity is under physics control every other frame. This might work for some things, but would fail in some instances (like shooting a would be physics object in the frame that it wasn't under physics control). The more objects that you tried to split the time between, the worse it would be.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: qwerty823] #27763
05/23/04 06:06
05/23/04 06:06
USA
I_M_FRUSTRATED Offline OP
I_M_FRUSTRATED  Offline OP

USA
I think that one physics object per frame can do wonders. If the game runs at 60 fps then that would be ideal for a fake physics engine. At 60 fps, one object would get the physics properties for one of those frames.

I get the picture, the user would think that the game ACTUALLY has a physics engine, when it's really one object per microsecond. This is because the human brain cant pick out what happens every microsecond of time, thus giving the illusion of a real physics engine. Sorry if I'm being too repetitive.

Just a theory

Why can't I get this to work? ... WHY CAN'T I GET THIS TO WOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKK!!!!!
Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: ventilator] #27764
05/23/04 06:50
05/23/04 06:50
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

i think the standard ode solver is O(n*n*n) and newton is O(n*n) worst case so newton currently is faster aswell! there is a new ode solver in the works which is O(n)

What does this mean? I scoured the newton site to get a fix on what their mehtodology and only found this, which sounds like what Ventilator is basing his quote on.
From the Newton Forums:

Quote:

Newton solver goes for acuracy rather than speed. The statistic order of the newton solver is best case linear O(N), worst case quadratic O(N*N). on average you get 0(N * log(N)). Where N is the number of restrited DOF.

I've done all manner of physics simulations and I admit my statistics are weak, but the above makes little sense to me. The Statistic Order is a SORTING techinique and those numbers somewhat represent diffrent how many diffrent comparasons are done until you get the result you were searching for. So I'm gathering they are sorting the DOF and then what, applying a physics update based on this sort? From my ignorance or their lack of facts, I just don't see where the claims of "accuracy" or "speed" are based on.

I've done runge-kutta integration, monte-carlo simulations, set up terabyte lattices, and even had a brief stint with quantum computing, but I've never done anything like a game physics engine, so the above I'm at a loss as to what the number above mean.

Long story short, I don't see how these arguments prove anything about speed since I don't understand how sorting and numerically integrating are related. I could make a million guesses related to matrices, taylor series expansion cut off, etc, but thats all PHysics and not game ODE, so could someone give me some insight as to what the above means?

Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: fastlane69] #27765
05/23/04 08:08
05/23/04 08:08
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

if i understand this correctly this O() stuff simply is a way of describing how an algorithm scales performance-wise.

for example:

O(n) means that 10 constraints will take 10 times longer to process than 1 constraint.

O(n*n) means that 10 constraints will take 100 times longer to process than 1 constraint.

i am not really a programmer or computer scientist so please correct me if i am wrong!

Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: ventilator] #27766
05/23/04 08:20
05/23/04 08:20
Virginia, USA
qwerty823 Offline
Senior Developer
qwerty823  Offline
Senior Developer

Virginia, USA
Quote:

if i understand this correctly this O() stuff simply is a way of describing how an algorithm scales performance-wise.

O(n) means that 10 constraints/contacts will take 10 times longer to process than 1 constraint/contact.

O(n*n) means that 10 constraints/contacts will take 100 times longer to process than 1 constraint/contact.

and so on. the worst algorithms are the ones which's performance scales exponentially.

i am not really a programmer or computer scientist so please correct me if i am wrong!

Pretty close definition. Here's a better one (with some more details):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: qwerty823] #27767
05/23/04 09:17
05/23/04 09:17
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Thank you, yes, I'm aware of the Big O notation (never knew to call it that though LOL) and like I said I could guess at it's usage. In the context I was familiar with, you classify the error of your calculations as O(h), where h is the stepsize of your numerical integrator. I think n-order runke-kutta has cuttoff errror on the Order O(h^(n+1)); hence I my initial confusion.

What I'm trying to get at is that sorting constraints is only one factor in a PE; thus how much faster one sorts than the other is one factor. The actual numerical algorythem's used are just as important when you want to compare one engines performance next to another.

All that aside, please note that on the Newton forums, they are quoted with going for "accuracy over speed", thus, wouldn't it be the 3DGS PE that is the overall faster beast??

Or is it? Like I said, I've never programmed a PE....

Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: fastlane69] #27768
05/23/04 09:32
05/23/04 09:32
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

currently most popular physics engines like tokamak, novodex, meqon,... seem to use linear time (O(n)) iterative solvers. compared to those newton is a bit slower but more robust (which is the more important thing with a physics engine in my opinion because it avoids lots of frustration)... ode currently uses an O(n*n*n) solver. i am sorry to say that but this solver isn't only much slower (do some simple stacking experiments) but this slowness also doesn't seem to have any stability advantages compared to the other engines (but there are other things like suboptimal collision detection which could make physics unstable)... as always i might talk nonsense!

Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: ventilator] #27769
05/23/04 10:38
05/23/04 10:38
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

tokamak, novodex, meqon,... seem to use linear time (O(n)) iterative solvers

Quote:

compared to those newton is a bit slower but more robust

Quote:

ode currently uses an O(n*n*n) solver

So by your quotes, we have three diffrent "categories" of engines. Problem is I went to the tokamak, newton, and ode sites and can't for the life of me find ANY information that addresses the above.
Where are you getting this info from? I have not reason to doubt the above, I just can't seem to find ANYTHING like the above in any of the sources I'm looking at. Is it books or mags or what? I'd be interested in comparing the "guts" of all these free (and mostly open source) engines. I'm not looking forward to actually having to decipher this info from looking at the code....brrrrrr.....:(

I guess I'm looking for equations or something less code related and more as to HOW THEY DO THE PHYSICS and not just estimates. Saying that ODE uses an O(n^3) solver says nothing to me without some context or proof of where this comes from.

Re: Fake Fizziks with commercial edition (A6) [Re: fastlane69] #27770
05/23/04 10:59
05/23/04 10:59
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

for example i sometimes follow discussions about physics engines on several forums and mailinglists. read this post of the ODE author: http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2004-May/012806.html

i know that such discussions aren't reliable sources but together with the conclusions i drew from my own experiments with several physics engines many of these things seem to make sense. if you do some stacking experiments you will see how fast you will bring a6's physics engine to its knees and that O(n^3) is plausible.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de