by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 942 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Quad] #323307
05/13/10 00:53
05/13/10 00:53
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Joquan, I must be completely honest with you here. You cannot pretend you are any better than anyone else. I'm the same age as you, and I once had the exact same mentality as you did. I have learned a lot since then. Being on this forum has helped build me as a person, but it only worked when I stopped and listened to what others had to say. Look at this thread to see what I mean. It's a pretty long read, but it's quite critical to my argument, so please read it.

I was hurt when people told me my project was less-than-stellar. But ultimately, I swallowed my pride and just accepted facts. No, I'm not as great as I thought.

But, here's the thing: I didn't stop programming there! After being angry for a while, I decided I wouldn't quit working on my project. I just decided that I was going to have a change of attitude the way I went about doing it. I stopped pretending to be better than I really am.

You really have to start having a humble attitude of your position in life. Yes, you probably are smarter and more ahead than a lot of people out there. But you can't let that go to your head. Keep doing what you do, but don't post in the Job Offerings/Job Wanted areas pretending that you're an experienced game designer who's made tons of games and really has amazing skills. Because you aren't fooling anyone. Everyone here is talented. When you come out here, you have to realize that you're suddenly not more experienced than everyone else. This forum is loaded with people who have designed dozens of games from start to finish, and even got some of them published. You can't pretend to be in the same league as them, so for your own good, you should just stay out of it (for now!), like I did!

Now, back on topic. I really am tired of arguing here, and it really isn't polite to trash up this guy's topic like this. If anyone wants to continue, we should take this to Morbius's Virtual Answering Machine.

Last edited by Redeemer; 05/13/10 00:59. Reason: Apologies to the thread creator.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Quad] #323311
05/13/10 01:09
05/13/10 01:09
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
@Jake the holier than thou:
First, do not reply before reading my posts 3 times, CAREFULLY.

We do not assume anything. Even we have/had very talented 14yr olds here.

We are sick of hearing how great you are, how your team knows everything and does nothing, posting crap of useless knowledge on job offerings about your team, and other stuff about your great studio. You also contradict yourself alot. You do not listen to advice, even get mad when you get adviced. Lose the attitude and switch to the right path, which will actually lead you on making good games and less useless advertising. You have been around for more then 4 months you still did not accomplished anything in lite-c. Do not tell us you or your team members do not know lite-c(or c/c++ for that matter), lite-c tutorials are for absolute beginners, you do not need any base knowledge to complete the workshops and make small games. It's been 4 months, you are not able complete a 15-day workshop, so we can assume alot of things like lack of talent and all we see is just self-applause and arrogancy.

We tried to motivate you, put you on the right track, give help, show how it's done. Your impulse was denial and more arrogancy everytime.

I am not trying to be nice or want to be nice anymore, but accept the thruth you are not-YET-capable of nearly %90 of the things you say you can do. I know a lot of frequenters of this forum(like people with talent, and made small games with lite-c even if it's crappy.) thinks like me. F.i. none of then would allow you to join their team since only thing you know is to tell the people how great you are.

I am sure croman is pretty scared of you threatening about banning him. I do not think he gives 2 flying craps about your site and you banning him.

As i said, there are alot of people thinks like me, they just do not express theirselves directly. I know it's not under my wish or judgement , or i may even be crossing a line here but, if you still think you have the great team, great personal talent that you can do everything in every field, and planning to keep the same attitude, and keep doing the stuff you have been doing(in this forum), PLEASE, care to leave this community.

@MAnthnX, sorry for ripping your thread. Please start another thread about your job offering in another thread and hope it does not get the drama that have been going on here.

The main reason I haven't learned Lite-C, is because I don't have the kind of time to. I like to get in, get going, and get out. That's the way I am.

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Redeemer] #323312
05/13/10 01:13
05/13/10 01:13
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Joquan, I must be completely honest with you here. You cannot pretend you are any better than anyone else. I'm the same age as you, and I once had the exact same mentality as you did. I have learned a lot since then. Being on this forum has helped build me as a person, but it only worked when I stopped and listened to what others had to say. Look at this thread to see what I mean. It's a pretty long read, but it's quite critical to my argument, so please read it.

I was hurt when people told me my project was less-than-stellar. But ultimately, I swallowed my pride and just accepted facts. No, I'm not as great as I thought.

But, here's the thing: I didn't stop programming there! After being angry for a while, I decided I wouldn't quit working on my project. I just decided that I was going to have a change of attitude the way I went about doing it. I stopped pretending to be better than I really am.

You really have to start having a humble attitude of your position in life. Yes, you probably are smarter and more ahead than a lot of people out there. But you can't let that go to your head. Keep doing what you do, but don't post in the Job Offerings/Job Wanted areas pretending that you're an experienced game designer who's made tons of games and really has amazing skills. Because you aren't fooling anyone. Everyone here is talented. When you come out here, you have to realize that you're suddenly not more experienced than everyone else. This forum is loaded with people who have designed dozens of games from start to finish, and even got some of them published. You can't pretend to be in the same league as them, so for your own good, you should just stay out of it (for now!), like I did!

Now, back on topic. I really am tired of arguing here, and it really isn't polite to trash up this guy's topic like this. If anyone wants to continue, we should take this to Morbius's Virtual Answering Machine.

I am not thinking I am better than everyone else. I am just trying to prove a point (That can't seem to get through anyone's heads)that I am not the little newbie that isn't capable of creating a business, that everyone thinks I am.

OP: I am sorry that everyone here seemed to want to make more out of this than there was originally. It's Croman and his big head (Nothing gets through to him, unless it's something he wants to hear) that turned this into a flame war.

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Joquan] #323313
05/13/10 01:15
05/13/10 01:15
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
You read that post(referring to mine), and can only say that? Nice.

Btw if you do not have that kind of time, you definetaly do not have time to develop games.

As my words are only falling to deaf-ears, I am not posting any further on this discussion.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited by Quadraxas; 05/13/10 01:16.

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Quad] #323314
05/13/10 01:27
05/13/10 01:27
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline
Joquan  Offline

Pennsylvania
The reason I didn't say more, is because I know you would continue a pointless argument, that would end in you shaking your head in disbelief of my persistence.

Umm, duh? I don't have the time to learn an engine, because I am DEVELOPING A GAME!

Your words don't fall on deaf ears. I know I am not better than everyone else.

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Quad] #323333
05/13/10 09:38
05/13/10 09:38
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
Quote:
ive told a mod about the shitload of bulcrap in this thread and im sure he will take care of it, maybe split it or remove it.

ps.: its sad to see that I, as austrian who speaks german as native language and learned english from cartoons (honestly) is more capable of speaking and writing the language than an american who probably speaks englisch as his mother language... oh well...

Ill try to stay on topic from here on out. one may delete this tab.

I LOVE the super mario sunshine graphical style. thats pretty makeable with gamestudio. and i know what im talking about i do toon games all the time in various ways. you dont actually need a shader for this graphical style. it would help, but its not neccesary. maybe you could add an option that lets the user decide if his system is strong enough for a shader, however, a toon shader barely eats any recources at all laugh

as for your models, id say take them to 1500 polys roughly. less is okay for small objects and environments, but for characters you should use a little bit more. and a good modeller can do wonders with 1500 polies, believe me laugh

do you have a test game set up? with various crappy test models and levels to check if your code and your system works? if not, thats the best way to start. create your entire game from start to finish with small ugly models. dont care about graphics. concentrate on game and gameplay first.
once this is done, draw characters and levels on paper. if you cant draw, ask a friend who is talented. they dont have to be perfect. its toon after all, one can take liberties with that. especially the levels. draw a few keyplaces and then give your level artowrk to a level designer. he should draw you the layouts with descirpitons on paper and walk you through the entire levels on MSN or something. once you are happy with the levels, all artwork and description is set, almost any half good level designer can build them with the right documentation.

same goes for your models. draw them /let them be drawn and then show them to a modeller. talk with him about animation, what tasts the characters have to perform ect...

once you got your assets together, all you have to do is replace your test levels and test models and then youre in beta. what is left? details, checking if everything works, alot of testing and finetuning. you should definately do this with somebody who actually knows what he is doing and have somebody you dont know test your game. if somebody you know does it... well those people tend to lie and make things nicer because tehy dont want to hurt you...

well, thats how I would reccomend you should do it^^

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Joquan] #323338
05/13/10 11:07
05/13/10 11:07
Croatia
croman Offline
Serious User
croman  Offline
Serious User

Croatia
Originally Posted By: Joquan

I have said, do not assume anything. I know more than you would expect from a 15-yr-old teen. You are wrong, and I have demo number 2 of my project up for download. Go here. Try it out. It is only the second one in a series of 10 or more demos before the final release. After that, I will be updating it. I have been taking college-grade courses in JavaScript. I was taking C++ and Java, but I put a halt on them for now. I am no where near a long way from being a CEO. Try that out for size.

PS - Last warning, already removed your moderator access on my site. One more outburst like this, and I will ban your account. I am sick of hearing this crap.

First of all, please remove my account from your forum and website - i dont want someone to see my name there, i'd be embarrassed...

Second, about that link which should prove you have some skills... I dont see anything there besides words.
If you have some pictures of your work than post them here on this forum.

Third, my head's not big, my nose is little bigger but my head is okay grin
I'm not easy to offend and i'm not destroying my keyboards out of the fury when reading posts like this. But i can imagine you, young CHILD, too much PC, not much friends or girls... being red like chilli when you're reading critiques on your account...

POST A PICTURE OF YOUR WORK AND PROVE US YOU CAN REALLY MAKE SOMETHING OR STAY OUT OF THIS FORUM PLEASE UNTIL YOU BECOME SMARTER!

btw, i'm really sorry for turning this thread into a fight with a 14 year old child... but i couldnt help myself... i apologize........not to you Joquan!

Ubi bene, ibi Patria.
Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: Joquan] #323340
05/13/10 11:24
05/13/10 11:24
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: Joquan
Umm, duh? I don't have the time to learn an engine, because I am DEVELOPING A GAME!
LMAO, need i comment? i thought games ran on engines? dont we have to learn how to use an engine.. before making a game? i mean, lol, i dont know. maybe am just crazy for thinking all that grin

Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: darkinferno] #323342
05/13/10 11:40
05/13/10 11:40
Croatia
croman Offline
Serious User
croman  Offline
Serious User

Croatia
laugh...but you see DarkInferno, he's so smart for 14 year old kid, he doesnt need to learn that thing called engine, he can make wireframe sprites(whatever that's supposed to be) and he can take colledge courses for C++ or Java(i think he meant by that, tutorials from PirateBay or isoHunt)

i even bet he can drive a car without an engine... like Flinstones grin

Ubi bene, ibi Patria.
Re: Need level-designer, modeller/animator [Paid Work] [Re: croman] #323348
05/13/10 12:37
05/13/10 12:37
Italy
PietroNifosi Offline
PietroNifosi  Offline

Italy
So many words spent on this topic, you guys either have endless patience or ain't got nothing better to do ;D

AND BY THE WAY: ALMITHY ME!!!!

Quoting: I don't have time to learn an engine, it's the engine that has to learn ME! Bow down before the god of video.. graphical.. virtual realities... and eventually games!

Last edited by PietroNifosi; 05/13/10 12:42.

Dear Fans, to celebrate our 500.000 downloads,
Evhacon 2 is now FREE TO PLAY on Amazon Underground!
HD Version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FKSVG2
LD Version (Optimized for lower devices): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719TXFJN
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de